Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look of the Night Watchman
I have one stainless 1911 (colt) and prefer parkerized or the ion bond of the NW
Anyone care to share their experience with this fine looking pistol?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased the Night Watchman CMD Lightweight less than 2 weeks ago. Fit and finish is great! I have had a few issues with this gun but I must be in the minority. First it had a heavy creepy trigger. I tried recutting the sear and hammer hooks as well as polishing everything but still couldn't get all of the creep out so I replaced the sear, disconnect, and sear spring with EGW. And now I'm probably a little too light for carry 2.25 lbs but it is as good as any of my Wilson's, no creep and a very short reset.

Another issue I had was brass to the face every so often as well as the gun not feeding correctly all the time. I thought it was in my extractor but after working it over and setting the correct tension it still didn't correct it 100%. Then I noticed my extractor was clocking so I put an extractor in the gun from my Wilson and a firing pin stop from my Brown and it worked great! No feed issues and all the brass ejected like it should. So now I have a firing pin stop and extractor coming in Monday.

Like I said, I'm sure this is the exception to what others have experienced but it's all fixable. I currently have right around 700 rounds through this gun and once I get it 100% reliable it will be one of my carry guns.

As of right now I wouldn't hesitate buying another one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with thanks!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I have a standard SR1911, the standard SR1911 Commander and the SR1911 Night Watchman Commander. All have been great with zero issues but when I go to the range and take along a 1911 it's usually the Night Watchman that makes the trip. I guess that means it's the favorite of the trio but I like all of them too much to let any go. I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Have had one just over a year. It is an all steel CMD. It has been fine so far with 230gr FMJ and JHP. Have used the Ruger mags and mags from Colt, Wilson, and others and they all work O.K. I think they are a good deal if you want night sights or like the all black pistol.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have had mine for a few days, have run a few mags thru it now and it is great so far, none of the FTF or FTE, that I have experienced with a few others on the first few mags. So far only hardball ammo. The true test will be the reloads. Mine is also the all metal commander.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I really like the look of the Night Watchman
I have one stainless 1911 (colt) and prefer parkerized or the ion bond of the NW
Anyone care to share their experience with this fine looking pistol?
I don't have a NW, but I do have a standard light weight. So far I've only put a few hundred rounds through it. No issues.
My only dislikes were the thin grips, (which I changed), and the finish of the slide.
Like you I would prefer a dark finish. My (bead blasted?) slide has the appearance of being coated with aluminum spray paint.
These issues are just personal taste.
Overall I'm very impressed and happy with my pistol, and consider the slide finish a very minor complaint, one I can certainly live with. :)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts