Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a gun safe that is easy to access in the heat of the moment but safe and reliable with 2 yr old in the house. I was thinking about the biometric type but someone said they have been known to be unreliable. Havent done too much research yet but thought I would see what you all thought.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have one Biometric gun box, and its unreliable. It wasn't cheap either, so its not an issue of poor quality. It just doesn't seem to be practical yet. You have to get your print exactly right. It has the ability to store 30 prints, and I have tried to enter as many of the same print at different angles, and still no good. It does have a numbered keypad also, and I just use that. Works every time. I wish I wouldn't have spent the extra money for the fingerprint sensor. Consider one of the keypad only types, or even one of the completely mechanical types. They are good also. Nothing will keep out a determined criminal, but even the cheap boxes will keep out a child. Good Luck

·
Banned
698 Posts
Only one I'd consider is the keypad GunVault SpeedVault. You can mount it to the wall or nightstand about $149. Has an soft interior light and holds your gun ready for quick draw. And instead of numbers it has four buttons you can set a pattern to open.

Personally gun under the pillow is what I suggest. If someone can enter your room and pull it out without waking you.. a gun in a locked box ain't going to do you any good anyway.

Another is two nails above the door frame to hold a pistol there.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I bought a small safe from Office Depot a few years ago; it came with a keypad on the door. It fits perfectly on the shelf by my bed. It wasn't marketed specifically for guns, but it serves admirably in that capacity.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Only one I'd consider is the keypad GunVault SpeedVault ...
I bought a GunVault MiniVault Deluxe a couple of years ago. It's easily programmable & built like a tank. A lot of the reviewers go on & on about the battery issue. My experience has been that while the batteries are a bit of a pain in the arse to install, they last a lot longer than most of the complainants claim (prob. 15 mos. or so in my case). Of course I wasn't going in & out of the thing 5 times a day, either. *shrugs* In any event, it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You could try one of these; V-Line Model 279-S Compact Handgun Pistol Safe - V-Line Handgun Safes

No battaries, you can program the push buttons to a combo that is simple for you to remember and punch in quickly (not too easy of course). You can open it by feel alone in complete darkness, just practice a little with placing your fingers properly and pushing in the correct order.

The one linked is a compact version that only holds one full size handgun. They make larger versions as well.

I have one bolted to the wall inside of my closet. Only a few steps away from my bed, so I could go from asleep to armed and ready in seconds if needed. If you wanted to keep it closer you could chain it to the bed or something.

And even though some folks think you should have it under your pillow to grab instantly, that little bit of time it takes to get to it in the middle of the night is actually a good time for you to wake your senses up and calm down a little bit. You don't want to start blasting away in a half asleep panic before you know what's really happening.

I know this might not be very burgler proof, but it works great to keep the gun safe from curious little hands.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I kept a gun under my pillow until I got married and she wanted foster kids. I had to get a safe and lock everything up. I wasn't very happy about that until one night one of the kids that had a mental problem burst into the bedroom while we were asleep. I reached for the gun that wasn't there and would have shot him while I was half asleep. That was close.
They are all gone now, and I have my 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster bolted to the bedside. It's easier to get to and more secure than under the pillow.

·
Banned
698 Posts
I kept a gun under my pillow until I got married and she wanted foster kids. I had to get a safe and lock everything up. I wasn't very happy about that until one night one of the kids that had a mental problem burst into the bedroom while we were asleep. I reached for the gun that wasn't there and would have shot him while I was half asleep. That was close.
They are all gone now, and I have my 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster bolted to the bedside. It's easier to get to and more secure than under the pillow.
I agree the pillow is not for everyone. But I'm a really light sleeper.the dog going out his doggie door does fully wake me but registers in my mind. On nights in the old days used to park the car and power nap. I could hear dispatch call our unit and grab the before my partner could... and he was awake.

Everyone has to find what works for them and what the dangers of each system is. I've had an old Ithaca 12 Gage pump riot gun I found a home for. Over the inside of my front hall closet over the door frame for 15 years and not one person who's hung a coat or put a box in there has seen it.

·
Banned
1,402 Posts
It's what I use also...cabled to the bottom of the bed.
I bought a GunVault MiniVault Deluxe a couple of years ago. It's easily programmable & built like a tank. A lot of the reviewers go on & on about the battery issue. My experience has been that while the batteries are a bit of a pain in the arse to install, they last a lot longer than most of the complainants claim (prob. 15 mos. or so in my case). Of course I wasn't going in & out of the thing 5 times a day, either. *shrugs* In any event, it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I bought this one at Walmart the other day for $29.99...not sure if it was mismarked or what...you program as few as three digits I think. Does the job of keeping the kids at bay which is not really needed. The strongest of them couldn't slide even the little SR22p but it keeps SHMBO happy. I wouldnt reach for that at night anyway. Much prefer my 12ga.

I gotta say, without trying we bought a pretty tactically great house. All bedrooms are upstairs. No decent window access to second floor. To get to my kids rooms you must pass mine and no matter how you gain access house you have a decent obstacle course of furniture to deal with and several turns make it to the only stairs to the second floor. Since you will have you will set off the alarm and woke me up I will meet you as you take that 90 degree left half way up the stairs...or at worst you will fumble with gate at the top as I reach my bedroom door and bye bye!

Its not likely as we all know but I gotta say I like my floor plan just in case.

Stack-On PDS-500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock - Amazon.com

·
Registered
490 Posts
yeah, I am quiet pleased with it really. Only thing I would like is if it would auto lock when closed. I noticed at first I would forget to relock it when I took the guns out. I work at home so I am making myself get up and get a gun out and lock it then go back a few minutes later and put it back and lock it...trying to make turning the bolt a reflex.

I have a 7yr and 5yr sons and a 5yr old daughter. My oldest cannot even slide the SR22 back so if on the off chance I left it unlocked I have no concerns that he could load it if he wanted to. No way in hell he could slide the SR9c. I keep both loaded but not chambered.

We talk about guns and I stress all the time the importance of never touching them...they really show no interest in them at all so all in all I feel pretty comfortable. Education is the KEY.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
The PDS-500 from Stack-On is what I've got also.
Took very little practice to open quickly with my eyes closed.
One of the nice features compared to other electric keypad boxes is that you can program it to not "beep" every time a button is pushed.

Winchester markets the EXACT same box (built by Stack-On) but it costs $10 more at the local Wally World.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have a 7yr and 5yr sons and a 5yr old daughter. My oldest cannot even slide the SR22 back so if on the off chance I left it unlocked I have no concerns that he could load it if he wanted to. No way in hell he could slide the SR9c. I keep both loaded but not chambered.

We talk about guns and I stress all the time the importance of never touching them...they really show no interest in them at all so all in all I feel pretty comfortable. Education is the KEY.
Even if you are comfortable that your own kids won't mess around with them, you just never know when one of them might have an overly curious friend drop by some day. A visitor might not have the advantage of proper firearm education, and if he/she finds your unsecured gun....well, we all know that could potentially end VERY badly.

Keeping them locked up is a very small price to pay to avoid such an event.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I also use an SV 500 Speedvault (the keypad version) and recommend it. I haven't had any battery issues either. Some positives are; it can be located dicretely, the 4 key pads are easy to work in the dark with practice, it can be securely mounted to a wall or other structure and it's well built. Some of the downsides are; it's a little pricey, it will only hold one firearm and nothing else, although it has a key too, you are relying on a battery.

I also have a standard lock box that's ok, but I like this one is actually screwed to the wall. I also like that it presents my SR40C ready to use - no fumbling for it. Is it perfect? No, but I haven't found anything perfect yet. BTW you can see it on Amazon along with owner reviews.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Here's another happy V-line product user. Like others here, I prefer a mechanical, programable lock - no key to lose or find in a hurry, no batteries to go dead, and no sometimes finicky bio-meteric lock to deal with. With mechanical buttons to push, you can even do so quickly in the dark - just find the turn handle as a reference point, then start pushing buttons.

My bedroom "vault" is their Hide-Away model: http://www.vlineind.com/html/hide-away.html

In addition to the chosen "gun-of-the-moment", it also holds extra ammo, a house key and a tactical flashlight - all items handy without having to look for them - they are already there, ready to be picked up and used when needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts