Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I bought a Mini 14 Tactical (standard stock, now converted to Hogue because I'm a sucker for that black overmolded stuff) and I had thought I would run it open sights only. But after having it at the range, I thought it would be fun to use it with a scope. So, this afternoon I ordered a Nikon M223 1-4x20 Point Blank scope with a set of Warne QD rings. I love the iron sights on the Mini and wanted to be able to go back to them so that's why I went with the QD rings.

I know this optic is typically seen on the AR rifles, but I thought that since the Mini was chambered in the same round, it would be fitting. I also like that it's a little bit smaller than the higher magnification scopes out there (no bell on the front and just a small one on the rear). I had strongly considered a Burris Tac 30, but I didn't need the illumination and I also didn't like the idea of a 30mm tube because of the height of the rear sights on the Mini. From all the research I did, I'm pretty sure the Medium QD rings will let the Nikon clear the rear sight.

I rather enjoyed the 3-9x40 Rimfire scope I had from Nikon over the summer (sold it to fund something else). Hoping I can expect similar results from this guy as well. Thoughts? Good? Bad? Ugly?

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
It looks like a great match for a mini. Those same features that make it a good choice for an AR should work well on a mini, from what I can see. Like the new avatar, too. :)

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like a great match for a mini. Those same features that make it a good choice for an AR should work well on a mini, from what I can see. Like the new avatar, too. :)
Thanks! I sure hope so. If not, I'll just have to get an SR-556 to put under it. :)

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
heymathew I was reading this thread & I see that you mention you are now using the Hogue Overmold stock. Does this stock lighten the weight of your rifle? I have a Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle in stainless steel. I really like this gun but I would like to lighten it up a bit. Does the installation of the Hogue Over Mold stock require any modifications? Thanks

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heymathew I was reading this thread & I see that you mention you are now using the Hogue Overmold stock. Does this stock lighten the weight of your rifle? I have a Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle in stainless steel. I really like this gun but I would like to lighten it up a bit. Does the installation of the Hogue Over Mold stock require any modifications? Thanks
Hey! Sorry for the late reply... I have the tactical version of the Mini so it came with the Ruger synthetic stock. I can't say for sure if the Hogue stock is lighter than the wood, but I would assume so. If I recall correctly, the Hogue stock is a synthetic stock with a rubber coating on it. I'm pretty sure it's heavier than the standard synthetic stock, but should be lighter than the wood.

To swap it out, you just pull the action and barrel from your rifle and pull the fore end liner (thin metal sheath in the for end of the stock) out and put it all in the new stock. It's a little tricky to get that liner in the Hogue stock, but once it's in, it's in.

If you're interested in shaving off some weight, I think that Hogue makes a synthetic stock as well that doesn't have the rubber coating. This would probably be a little lighter than the rubber over-molded stock.

Hope this helps you out.

Also, if you're planning on switching back and forth, jump online and buy the fore end liner so you can just put one in each stock and you don't have to swap it back and forth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts