Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am wondering what I would have to do to figure out what type of scope rings etc to use to mount a Nikon P 233 straight 3 power scope on my Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. I am thinking the spacing between the base's where my Ruger Rings clamp down on the receiver of my Mini 14 Ranch Rifle are too close because of the dimensions of this particular scope. Your thoughts and suggestions much appreciated thx!!!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You could use a Picatinny rail like the GG&G or tap for the Ruger factory rail, then put the rings as close as you need them. You would need to get some Picatinny rings though, or the Warne Q.D. rings to fit a Picatinny rail.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or tap for the Factory Ruger Rail?? I understand the Picatinny rail that might be the easiest way to mount this scope. But I would most likely have to change out my Ruger Rings to a set of Weaver style rings that would fit a Picatinny rail. Thx much appreciate I do not want to add too much stuff to add weight to my Mini 14 RR.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I understand your concern. Mini's are best when the are kept light and simple. But as I read it, you want to use the short 3x P223 and you think the rings will not be able to go close enough together using the supplied Ruger rings on the receiver bases.
Do you not have the scope on hand yet to check it ?
An offset ring comes to mind, but I'm not sure if one is available to fit the Ruger scallop bases. I have used offset rings on the really long Savage bolt receivers so as to allow you to use a shorter scope.
I guess the answer that seabee gave you on your other post about this scope was not worth the expense ( or weight) ?
An aluminum Picatinny rail, and some lightweight rings , like the Tactical Solutions aluminum rings, would not be any more weight than the steel Ruger rings you are using.
But more expense, to purchase them.
Maybe the scope is not worth the hassle to try to mount on a Mini.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might not be worth the hassle as well. Haven't got the scope yet currently have a older Redfield Wide Field 2.5-7 on it now. Might just leave it as is. I just really like the BDC Recitcle but I do not want a larger Nikon 3-9x40 BDC on it too big of a scope for this rifle. I would also consider a light weight 1.5-4 on this rifle as well its just finding something thats not going to break the bank budget right now I am not wanting to spend $200.00+ on a scope for this rifle.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've looked at the same scope & wondered the same thing...

I found that Ruger makes offset rings for their bases; the offset puts the scope ring about 1" to the rear of the ring base. Ruger ID's are 4BO (blued) and 4KO (stainless) [note - the IDs have the letter O, not the numeric zero].

Their height matches a #4 standard ring, which should work fine with the 32 mm scope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts