Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am in the market for my first set of hunting binoculars. My price range is anywhere up to 200 dollars. I have been looking at the Nikon Monarch 3 and the Nikon Pro staff 7. The Monarch 3 are 200 dollars for the 10-42 on amazon. The Pro staff 7 10-42 are 179 dollars. Is there a big difference in quality? Which one would you suggest? Also i am not fully decided on 10-42 or 8-42. I don't know the advantages of 10-42 vs 8-42. Please help!!

Thanks ,Max:D

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,807 Posts
Maxamillion, 10-42 means 10 power with a 42mm objective lens. 8-42 is 8 power. My experience with binoculars is ... any power much more than 7x gets pretty hard to hold still plus the field of view gets so narrow it's hard to spot game. I used to have a pair of 10x but sold them and now have a pair of 7x35. Much easier to carry, good field of view, and not so powerful where I can't hold them still.

With the two binoculars you listed, both are excellent quality but I would much rather have the 8x42s.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I agree, 8s are a better all around magnification (though I actually own more 10s than anything else). Really more of a personal preference as to magnification, as long as you don't go over 10. That's the limit for most folks when it comes to holding things steady and, as I well know, as we get older it does get harder to steady a binocular. Just no way I will part with my 10s, but, then, I have plenty of 8s and a few 7s, too.

A lot depends on how much experience you have using binoculars, too. 8s make a lot more sense for a first set of binoculars - 8s are easier to steady and the wider field of view makes finding your target quicker and easier. Moreover, there is nothing that can be seen with a 10x that can't also be seen equally well with an 8x for hunting purposes. If you actually want to start counting points on a rack at 100 plus yards, you'll need a spotting scope, anyway, not a binocular. Going to a 10x won't solve that problem.

I'm with Iowegan on the 7x as a binocular magnification. Unfortunately, the 7x has dropped out of popularity to the point of almost disappearing. I love my 7x binos, but darn few 7s made, anymore and that's a shame. 8x is a great compromise between a 7x and 10x and that's why it is now the most sold binocular magnification.

I love Nikons -always a great buy for your binocular dollar. I have the Monarch 3 10x42 and use it all the time for birdwatching, wildlife watching and even at the range to score pistol targets out to 50 yards. Ca't go wrong with the Monarch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Monarchs are a step up from the Prostaff. Both are really good optics.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nikon Bino's

Max, I used the PROSTAFF 7's last year for much of the hunting season (Kansas to Texas and points in between) and the MONARCH 3's for coyote hunting during the summer. I do think the 3's are more clear and better in low light. With Nikon's Promo going on right now and the 2 being almost the same price, hard not to choose the MONARCH glass over the PROSTAFF glass.
Either way you have Nikon's excellent reputation/warranty behind them.
Drop me a note if you have any other question's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts