Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering having a "custom" holster made for my NM 5.5" Super Blackhawk. The leathersmith that I intend to use has a "mold" for a 5.5" NM Blackhawk.

Are these two revolvers close enough in size that the "mold" for the MN Blackawk would do OK for the NM Super Blackhawk? The leathersmith is clear across the country from me, so it's not like I can just run down and have a "test fit" done.

Thanks!
Niner

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Same frame, cylinder, and barrel. You are good to go!

·
Registered
109 Posts
If the holster maker has a Blackhawk or an aluminum dummy with fluted cylinder, and your Super Blackhawk is unfluted, make sure that the flute on the side is not water-molded into the holster. Otherwise, when you receive the holster, you will want to water-mold it out.

Providing the leather is from high on the back and properly tanned, additional water-molding will not hurt it.
David Bradshaw

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I am considering having a "custom" holster made for my NM 5.5" Super Blackhawk. The leathersmith that I intend to use has a "mold" for a 5.5" NM Blackhawk.
The 5.5 SBH is lighter than the 5.5 Blackhawk, because it is basically the same gun with a larger bore diameter, and it is the only SBH, in the current catalog, with a fluted cylinder.

To make things a little more confusing.... the 5.5" (and shorter) SBHs use the same grips (XR3-RED) as the Blackhawk/Vaquero. I found out the hard way :(.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts