Ruger Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,210 Posts
Seems my memory is faltering .... I forgot to add a significant thing. The plunger spring needs 2 or 3 coils cut off to allow enough room in the plunger hole for the longer plunger. I found the "flint spring" from a Bic disposable lighter can be cut to the same length as the factory spring and will work better .... leaving the factory spring and plunger available to restore the gun to factory condition if needed.

Reactions: GTO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Seems my memory is faltering .... I forgot to add a significant thing. The plunger spring needs 2 or 3 coils cut off to allow enough room in the plunger hole for the longer plunger. I found the "flint spring" from a Bic disposable lighter can be cut to the same length as the factory spring and will work better .... leaving the factory spring and plunger available to restore the gun to factory condition if needed.
Again thanks! What great information and help.
I really appreciate you help.
Thanks!
TF

·
Registered
2 Posts
All New Model Ruger SAs are subject to a cylinder drag line .... the more you use it, the deeper the drag line. Why? All New Models to include Single-Sixes, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, Vaqueros and New Vaqueros share the same cylinder latch and hammer design. Here's what happens: At rest, the cylinder is latched and won't rotate. When you start cocking the hammer the hammer plunger contacts the cylinder latch and pulls it down, releasing it so the cylinder can rotate. The pawl starts to rotate the cylinder and just about 10 degrees into rotation, the hammer plunger cams off the cylinder latch. This allows the latch to pop up under spring tension and contact the cylinder. As the hammer and pawl continue to rotate the cylinder, the cylinder latch will rub on the surface between lock notches and create a drag line.

I designed a fix for this condition but with blued guns, you need to do the modification before a drag line is created. Stainless guns are more forgiving because you can use a 3-M pad to buff out the drag line and make it look factory fresh.

The modification involves a making longer hammer plunger out of a 3/32" drill bit shank. This holds the cylinder latch longer into the rotation cycle so he cylinder latch will release just as it starts into the leade of the cylinder's lock notch.

Here's a hammer with a factory plunger on the left and hammer with a modified extended plunger on the right and a graphic of the plunger with the measurements:

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I can't PM you for some reason. Anyways, I don't imagine you'd make a couple these longer pins and sell them to me would you? Maybe a hair too long in the proper spots for fine tuning of you think it'll help?

Thanks. 🤞

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I can't PM you for some reason. Anyways, I don't imagine you'd make a couple these longer pins and sell them to me would you? Maybe a hair too long in the proper spots for fine tuning of you think it'll help?

Thanks. 🤞
Hi RSOA,
My son son-in-law had a machinist that worked with in make me six. He also installed them on both of my Vaqueros and both of his. He gave the other two to a friend. He cut down the original springs down like Lowegan recommended. worked like a charm on our revolvers.
He one longer works there so I don't have away to any.
Lowegan perhaps would be willing to make a batch of them for sale. I would check with him.
Sorry I wasn't more help.
Let me know if he is willing to make a batch.
TacoFrank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi RSOA,
My son son-in-law had a machinist that worked with in make me six. He also installed them on both of my Vaqueros and both of his. He gave the other two to a friend. He cut down the original springs down like Lowegan recommended. worked like a charm on our revolvers.
He one longer works there so I don't have away to any.
Lowegan perhaps would be willing to make a batch of them for sale. I would check with him.
Sorry I wasn't more help.
Let me know if he is willing to make a batch.
TacoFrank
Thanks for the info. And Lowegan is who I was hoping would see this. I think my account Is too new to PM him.

If you don't mind me asking was the pin you got drop in and go or did you have to tune it? Amd have you had any overrun since?

Thanks.

·
18,210 Posts
RSoA, My gunsmithin' days are over due to my heath conditions. I used to make and sell extended hammer plungers but I sent the last few out to another forum member a couple months ago. I looked in my shop to see if I have any left ... but sorry, I didn't.

Just an FYI .... some hammers have longer or shorter plungers and have the retaining pin hole drilled at a slightly different location. What seems to work every time is when the tip of the plunger is flush with the hole in the hammer, near the sear notch. Look at the picture in post #4 in this thread:

Reactions: maddmatter1970

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the info. And Lowegan is who I was hoping would see this. I think my account Is too new to PM him.

If you don't mind me asking was the pin you got drop in and go or did you have to tune it? Amd have you had any overrun since?

Thanks.
I removed and polished the cylinders on both of my revolvers and tried the new parts. I have a very slight turn ring on one about like my it was when it was new, None on the other. The one that draged badly has none. So it sounds like I need to shorten the one slightly?
TF

·
18,210 Posts
TacoFrank, Just the opposite ... if the cylinder latch drags, you need a longer hammer plunger. This will hold the cylinder latch down longer in the cylinder rotation cycle so it doesn't pop up and drag on the cylinder.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
TacoFrank, Just the opposite ... if the cylinder latch drags, you need a longer hammer plunger. This will hold the cylinder latch down longer in the cylinder rotation cycle so it doesn't pop up and drag on the cylinder.
Hi Lowegan,
you can tell I am one of the duller knives in the drawerdrawer. I think I will leave will enough alone. The line on the one is less than it was.It really didn't bother me.
Out of curiousity does this same fix work on a Ruger double action?
TacoFrank

·
18,210 Posts
TacoFank, No, DAs don't have a hammer plunger. DAs have a trigger actuated pawl instead of a hammer actuated pawl so you just have to put up with drag lines.

·
Registered
42 Posts
TacoFank, No, DAs don't have a hammer plunger. DAs have a trigger actuated pawl instead of a hammer actuated pawl so you just have to put up with drag lines.
Dang, I was getting all excited about doing the fix for my Redhawk. Oh well, I put up with the drag lines on my face from too many bicycle endo's, reckon I'll put up with them on my cylinder.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts