Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up one of the new No. 1-A's in 7.62X39. Very nice little rifle in a great chambering. I mounted a Leupold 1-4X scope in double offset rings for testing. After a barrel break-in the first groups with Winchester factory white-box were running a little over 2" @ 100 yds. But when I fed the 1-A my hand load using the Hornady 123 grain .310 dia bullets over H322 it started to sing a lovely song. Groups almost as well as my M77 compact in the same caliber with the same load. Five shots touching each other. After 5 shots it started to open up a bit unless I let it cool. I am sure this is due to the way the forearm is mounted. Overall very well pleased. I am going to enjoy this one, very pleasant to shoot with a nice trigger right out of the box. If your LGS happens to get one of these, be sure to check it out..............Or if you know you really want one get your LGS to order one before they are gone. I believe there will be 300 in the series.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great report and a couple questions. Is this one available thru lipseys and do you remember the MSRP? Thanks and pictures would be nice.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sweet choice of gun and caliber. Figured I was the only nimrod on the planet with a single shot in that chambering. The 7.62x39 has a family lineage related to the PPC cartridge. Careful handloading produces very nice accuracy. The 7.62x39mm is probably one of the most under rated cartridges in existence. Most likely caused by cheap steel cased Commie ammo and the AK family. Shooter friendly, doesn't eat a lot of powder and easily reloaded....what not to like. I like it so much I had Thompson Center Custom Shop make me a heavy carbine barrel for my T/C Encore back before it burnt down. The Encore is a .308 bore so hand loads are a must.

Enjoy and keep us filled in on the range sessions. How about some pics?

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
In the late 80s, I was working at a neat little gun shop.We sold ALOT of #1s. I actually called Ruger and asked for a 1A or 1B in 7.62x39. The CS rep was very polite, but chortled at the idea.

Then Ruger eventually brought out the limited run stainless, and now this one. Of course, I want one......

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. 1 7.63X39

Yes, this is a Lipseys gun, I believe all 300 of this model/caliber will go through there. MSRP I believe was $1,449......but at my LGS I paid $950 + tax. Not bad considering used one's that are really nice cost at least that. My LGS also has a No.1-B with the most beautiful figure in the wood I have ever seen in a Ruger. It is chambered in .257 WM. If I were rich, I would own both. I am sure it will not be on the rack very long...........We have been under rain/flooding conditions here for a couple of weeks. I have not been able to get back out to the range because of the muddy conditions, so no further testing with the .30 Commie has been possible.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sweet choice of gun and caliber. Figured I was the only nimrod on the planet with a single shot in that chambering. The 7.62x39 has a family lineage related to the PPC cartridge. Careful handloading produces very nice accuracy. The 7.62x39mm is probably one of the most under rated cartridges in existence. Most likely caused by cheap steel cased Commie ammo and the AK family. Shooter friendly, doesn't eat a lot of powder and easily reloaded....what not to like. I like it so much I had Thompson Center Custom Shop make me a heavy carbine barrel for my T/C Encore back before it burnt down. The Encore is a .308 bore so hand loads are a must.
I have a T/C Encore barrel in 7.62X39, very accurate with Sierra 125 Gr SPs. My barrel is a standard blue 24", fun to ring the gong with!
FM

·
Registered
193 Posts
taming military ammo...

I had a Chinese SKS in same [of course]. I mounted a cheap Red Star 4X scope and got several 100 yard groups of 1" or just over/under.
What I enjoyed was buying inexpensive non corrosive military ammo. Pulled the FMJ bullets with pliers in the die hole of my press, then seat a quality copper jacketed soft point expanding bullet [Speer/Hornady/Sierra 123 gr bullets] over the 'still in case' original powder charge, then crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp die. Quality hunting ammo, and didn't matter how far off to my right the Berdan primed lacquered steel cases flew off into the briars!
Might work in your Ruger #1 the same way if you have military ammo to shoot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was very interested to see what kind of accuracy you were getting. It's cool to read that you've gotten such good results, especially your groups with the white box fodder. One additional comment, I find it very rewarding to get results like you've gotten with some custom-crafted reloads.

I'd like to try something in 7.62x39 again since my last attempt was a failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts