Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a No. 1 in .25-06 from a friend of mine and trying to get anexact determination of the model. He said it is a varmint model but all the pictures I've seen of varmint models have target blocks and this one does not. Also un the under side where the serial number is 8G and under that is what I assume is the serial number 4XXX. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Impossible to give you a definite answer without a picture or two, or a more detailed description. The serial number you give doesn't really make any sense.

Varmint models have a 24" "C" weight barrel. THe early ones only had holes for the older target type scope bases spaced ca. 7 1/4' apart. After the mid 1970's, Ruger added a third set of scope base holes so that modern scopes could be used at the normal Ruger scope base separation distance.

The 1B has a 26" medium "B" weight barrel with a quarter rib for the scope rings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and for the thoughtfulness in the responses. I'm feeling kinda foolish right now though. I had three separate guns of different makers wanting to get the dates of manufacture. Well as you might have guessed by now, I the swapped the serial numbers for the No. 1 and a Browning A-5. I had taken pictures with my phone of the serial numbers and didn't look closely enough . I was mostly interested in the Ruger and when I went to check the Browning a few minutes ago i discovered my mistake. Thanks again . The No. 1 is a '89 model

1 - 4 of 4 Posts