Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a question about the no. 1 RSI(Mannlicher) models.

Do they maintain a consistent POI throughout the seasons? I have read that they can be more prone to having accuracy issues, but my main concern is whether or not they hold their zero over time.

I imagine all that wood swelling or drying out could effect poi.

I’ve been dying to pick one up for years and have always wondered. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Warning, Ruger #1's are kind of like a single action revolver. Inexplicably addictive. That said, Ruger #1's have their own set of idiosyncrasies, but nothing that cant be worked through. That said, if you want one, get it. I dont own any internationals, but they are beautiful rifles. If you are concerned about a shifting POI, get a not-international and enjoy. Also, where do you live and where will you be hunting? It has been my experience that the swelling and shrinking of wood, especially with today's finishes, is overblown outside of very extreme situations. Of course, this is only one man's experience and your mileage might vary.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
First of all welcome aboard, I just recently purchased a .243 in the No.1 RSI and found that the screw in the forearm should be torqued just right in order to prevent the barrel from whipping. (mine is right at 30 inch pounds) Mine is very capable of MOA out to 200 yards, then at about 250-350 yards it will still go about a 2 1/4 MOA which is fine for the type of hunting, Pronghorn, that I intend to use it for. Incidentally that is for a 3 shot group from a cold clean barrel using a 100grn. BT/SP

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
Pretty much agree. Wood stocks aren't as susceptible to warpage as some interweb experts would have you believe. In extreme circumstances I presume it occurs but I doubt it's a serious concern under normal circumstances. I suspect a heated barrel is more problematic to accuracy than a stock warping from a change in relative humidity.

I have a Ruger RSI and I haven't noticed any accuracy issues related to change in ambient temperature or humidity. My wife has a CZ455FS 22mag that has a full length Mannlicher stock and it doesn't seem to affected by weather either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the reply’s! I’m glad to hear it’s a bit of a non-issue.

I live and hunt in California, so our weather is certainly not extreme(lol), but I’d hate to have an unreliable rifle.

I’ve read that the inside of the forearm is unsealed wood. Probably a good idea to seal that at the least.

My fear was that everyone was going to say you have to bed the forearm to have consistency.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
No need for that, maybe bed the forearm hanger, but that is just one of those #1 idiosyncrasies that sometimes pop up, regardless of the forearm type.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of #1s, they multiply so beware. Enjoy the RSI, a model still on my bucket list.
FM

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Welcome to the forum Click. Participate and enjoy!
As others have warned No. 1s are addictive sort of like chips, you probably won't stop at 1, I know I couldn't!
Where do you hunt in our state? Not looking for a place just curious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts