Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a No. 1 in 45-70, getting ready to refinish the stock. Any advice on how to remove the grip cap without destroying it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the refinish.
You will have to destroy the brass medallion in the center of the grip cap in order to get to the screw that holds the cap on.
Drill a small hole and pry it out. Ruger, Numrich, or Brownells has the extra medallions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Well as long as a replacement is available I can live with that. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kbuck, what are you going to use to refinish your No. 1? Please let me know how and what are you going to use. I have one, and the stock is a little too beat up for my taste, and I would love to refinish the stock and give it an oil finish.

Thanks and good luck!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the refinish.
You will have to destroy the brass medallion in the center of the grip cap in order to get to the screw that holds the cap on.
Drill a small hole and pry it out. Ruger, Numrich, or Brownells has the extra medallions.
As above.
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't drill all the way through.

take a screw and start it into the hole until it snugs up and pull the emblem out.

Here's how deep the hole goes and the grip cap removed (along with the screw that holds the cap on. There are two protrusions on the underside of the grip cap that keep it from twisting.

I've drilled three out, two came out just drilling the pilot hole, the third required the screw to facilitate removal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts