Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a No. 1 in 22 Hornet that appears to be a model AB. From the serial number, 132-09XXX it seems to be from about 1980. Has anyone seen another one like this? It looks like a 1A, but no sights. I'll try and get pictures up soon.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Congratulations! Please post pictures. They have made the #1 in .22 hornet once or twice over the run of the #1.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a No. 1 in 22 Hornet that appears to be a model AB. From the serial number, 132-09XXX it seems to be from about 1980. Has anyone seen another one like this? It looks like a 1A, but no sights. I'll try and get pictures up soon.
What a sweet rifle. I would say you hit the jack pot on that one. As said above, thats a great walking varmint gun. Enjoy.

·
Registered
499 Posts
No.1 .22 Hornet

I've got a No.1 exactly like yours; no front sight and the quarter rib was never cut for a rear sight. I called Ruger and the serial number was from an older action with a much later delivery date. I bought the rifle from a small shop very near the Ruger factory and the dealer told me it was a one-off employee built gun. Blue Book says there were 350 No. 1A's built in .22 Hornet (interesting that they just finished another run of them). Fascinating that you have the same gun that I do...I'll see if I can get a photo posted. Great rifle by the way!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Akboater, I found your post from a few years ago, and we do have matching rifles. If you enter your serial number does it show a ship date of 2010?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Interesting rifle. Essentially an AH.

However, I'm very skeptical that it's a factory issue. Ruger made runs of the 1A (with sights) in the late 1980's and again last year with a CCH receiver. They never made a catalogued or uncatalogued "AH" or "AB" (i.e. 1A without sights).

I'd guess it's either an employee's personal project, or someone has taken a 1A (not likely based on the serial number) and removed the front sight and switched quarter-ribs.

A letter from Ruger based on the serial number would clear things up quickly.

·
Registered
499 Posts
1-A .22 Hornet

Mine shows model # 01344. Product line NO 1, Caliber .22 Hornet, In Production NO, Shipped In 2011

·
Registered
242 Posts
Interesting rifle. Essentially an AH.

However, I'm very skeptical that it's a factory issue. Ruger made runs of the 1A (with sights) in the late 1980's and again last year with a CCH receiver. They never made a catalogued or uncatalogued "AH" or "AB" (i.e. 1A without sights).

I'd guess it's either an employee's personal project, or someone has taken a 1A (not likely based on the serial number) and removed the front sight and switched quarter-ribs.

A letter from Ruger based on the serial number would clear things up quickly.
I should have added that I own a very early 130-prefix (1970) No. 1 in 243 that is the same configuration as the OP's. It was never catalogued in 1970 and beyond, though the AH was a regular item in the non-prefix timeframe (1967-69). I also have a perfectly correct non-prefix AH in 222 Rem. that's a joy to handle and shoot.
At any rate, a letter request to Ruger showed that my "AH" 243 actually left the factory as a 1V in 22-250, so you see, even though a rifle has a Ruger barrel, it does not make it a factory issue. Barrels, fore-ends, etc. can all be changed pretty easily for anyone who has to have something a little different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts