Ruger Forum banner

No, GP100's have horrible triggers and can't shoot....

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  BlueMountain 
#1 ·
Stock 1989 production GP100, with Trapper-Bullseye springs and Millett sights.........

20 yards in Double Action, this is the first time I've actually gotten to "wring out" this gun, and I'm pretty OK with that target.And this is with cheap Tula steel case .38 that was splitting cases in the chambers, I can't wait to see what this will do with the "good stuff".

I think I'll save this pic for some of the other forums I use, for a "Rugers have horrible actions and aren't accurate" thread:)

My pretty 1980's era S&W 586 can rest easy in the safe, I have Rugers like this that can take over "using gun" duty:)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I've been playing with revolvers for a long time and I still run across gun store commandos that claim all Ruger triggers are junk. While I'll concede that Ruger tends to use heavy springs. I'll also say that Rugers can often benefit from some additional internal finishing. However, Ruger DA actions can have excellent triggers.

I've owned, worked on and shot and small pile of Ruger, Colt and S&W revolvers. They all have different traits but the Ruger is often unfairly maligned by people who don't really understand the guns.

The Ruger DA action, particularly the GP-100, is a fine action. It's also extremely durable. In fact, the entire gun is extremely durable. In terms of accuracy, some of the best 38/357 revolvers I've seen have been Rugers. A fine trigger doesn't "make" a gun accurate, it just allows a good user to better access the potential accuracy of the gun.

Good Shooting ExArmy11b !

#5 ·
That's some fine shooting. Thanks for sharing.

As always, making blanket statements about any brand or individual model makes you a sitting duck for corrections and arguments. Learned long time ago to keep it on an individual gun basis. Have had my share of both Rugers and S&Ws with good triggers and also my share of Rugers and S&Ws with not so good triggers.

#14 ·
Heck I'll go $175. :D

After at most 100 rounds on my dead stock 4" I had the DA dialed in and it became just natural. I know exactly when it's going to crack and is the very same every time.

#10 ·
Regarding triggers and their differences in the same model guns, I was
shopping around today and tried the trigger DA on a Smith Pro Series 686.
Heavy and gritty.

Next I tried the trigger on a run-of-the-mill 686, smooth
and silky. Both brand new, both distinctly different. And the higher priced
Smith was in my estimation poor compared to the standard 686.

I'm also a fan of Ruger GP 100s and I've had similar experiences as with
the Smiths. Not so long ago compared two Match Champions. One must have been done on a Wednesday by someone who took time. The second
was done by someone who just had to get the heck home on a Friday.

As long as the guns are basically within spec and a top quality control
employee is not checking every assembled piece we'll always have
such variety.

#11 ·
I have owned a number of Rugers and Smith & Wessons. The triggers are different designs. Rugers break later. Nothing wrong with that. Its easier to stage Rugers versus S&W. I have better results buying used Rugers and Smith & Wessons. I have had two bad experiences with new Rugers. Triggers were horrible. But the two new S&W revolvers also had at best fair triggers. My older revolvers both S&W and Rugers have much smoother triggers and I feel the quality control was better when these revolvers were produced.
Now a days, I stay away buying any handgun new. I don't like paying $700 for a new revolver and then having to take the revolver to a gunsmith to straighten out a rough trigger. Also the finish on both Rugers and Smith Wesson is not exceptable to me. So I look for the older Rugers and Smiths.

#12 ·
My 2011 vintage GP100 has a fantastic trigger. Did the Wolf Spring Kit and shot a lotta rounds through her. She is smooth as silk. There is no revolver I shoot better in double action.

#18 ·
My GP100 was the first revolver I ever bought and I've never regretted taking it out with my buddies S&W, Colts and Taurus wheel guns on a shoot day. It may be a 'brick' but it does the job and more! It made me snap up a Security Six I saw at a gun show table for $250. Never looking back!!!!

All hail the Brick!!!

#19 · (Edited)
That is pretty good shooting, I am envious.
I use other forums, but I owned Ruger's before there was so much as an Internet, or computers.
I know they are accurate and dependable, and people show their ignorance, when they say they are not.

Yes, you may want to post that shot on some other forums, and silence the nay-sayers.
I have trusted Ruger's with my life and I still would.

#20 ·
Great shooting! My GP has had a smooth, "light" trigger right out of the box and can only get better. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The best shooting double-action I've ever owned or shot, accurate as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.