Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range with my wife to shoot my MKII and was told I could not use my lead nose 22lr ammo. I asked why and was told that California banned lead ammo for hunting and will ban it all together in a few years. Also some cases of employees at ranges with high levels of lead. I was kinda peeved because I have quite a few rounds to plink off.

So, is there anyone in another state that has the same issue? I will bet on a "no" but I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
186 Posts
so what are you going to use to kill rabbits or snakes with ? a 50ae? the manufacturers are not going to change what projectile they load for .22 , it would be dang expensive to use copper slugs. california law makers are crazy.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Haven't had that problem at any of the ranges in San Diego so far.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Not any real problems out here in Arizona! The outdoor ones could care less what you use, and the indoor one I use prefers you use jacketed or coated bullets and limit your use of lead only type bullets.

Just one clarification: Was this an indoor or outdoor range that banned lead ammo?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Calif Ranges

Haven't had that here in Ventura county. Have been told one of the ranges here charges more for centerfire as the primers are "mercury" and they have to spend more money to clean mercury filters..........don't think mercury has been used for years in primers. Must buy their ammo as it is non mercury. Sounds like a scam to me. Indoor range of course.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had a similar experience here in Michigan........ My local range just down the street from my shop (very convenient to shoot after work while rush hour dies down) will only let you shoot jacketed bullets now. H said the extra smoke you see coming off wadcutter reloads was lead particles vaporizing into the air. I tried to explain to him that it was the two grooves of lubricating wax burning, but he wouldnt buy it. Now I shoot elsewhere.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Does this indoor range just happen to have lead-free ammo for sale?

A new indoor range opened here a couple years ago and they are lead-free frangible ammo only. They repurposed an existing building and the lanes are short. To satisfy the back stop they built the ammo has to be frangible. To keep the cost of the ventilation system in budget they only allow lead-free. Nothing to do with any state law just the way they decided to build the range. They try to spin it like they're "green" and enviro-friendly but the reality is the building won't safely allow standard lead ammo.

And they just happen to sell lead-free frangible ammo....

(I shoot elsewhere.)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I had a similar experience here in Michigan........ My local range just down the street from my shop (very convenient to shoot after work while rush hour dies down) will only let you shoot jacketed bullets now. H said the extra smoke you see coming off wadcutter reloads was lead particles vaporizing into the air. I tried to explain to him that it was the two grooves of lubricating wax burning, but he wouldnt buy it. Now I shoot elsewhere.
I just heard on another forum, that there is an area in TX where the ranges won't let people use FMJ.

I'm thinking the guy was confused and they didn't want the rounds with a steel core and lead/copper jacketing but he insisted all FMJ was banned.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was an indoor range. They check your ammo before you begin and ask you to take your lead ammo back to car or they can hold it while you shoot. I also checked another indoor range and the sign said no exposed lead ammo...and they check your ammo too.

I agree our California laws are too strict.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My local range requires jacketed bullets for all centerfire ammo, but allows plain lead for rimfire. This seems more reasonable.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just put a fence around California and charge admission. World's biggest zoo.
What do the fishermen use for sinkers in California?
If they still use lead the fish should form a union and sue.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Haven't run into that at my indoor range in Huntington Beach.
They don't check your ammo or firearm if you are a a member.
It might be due to the proximity to the Los Angeles fruits and nuts.
It's a PITA, but I would check other ranges

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
So, is there anyone in another state that has the same issue? I will bet on a "no" but I thought I would ask.
I hate shooting indoors, but went to shoot at a range I've been to more than a few times because it was raining. They had recently instituted a jacketed-only policy. For health reasons. Though the bullet could be lead cored, just not exposed lead. And this restriction didn't apply to .22 ammo or to shotgun ammo, or those would be basically banned from use, as there is not much else to use (they don't allow birdshot at all, so copper/steel waterfowl/turkey loads can't be used).

Future state laws aside, did your range disallow any lead? Or just exposed lead bullets?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Went to the range with my wife to shoot my MKII and was told I could not use my lead nose 22lr ammo. I asked why and was told that California banned lead ammo for hunting and will ban it all together in a few years. Also some cases of employees at ranges with high levels of lead. I was kinda peeved because I have quite a few rounds to plink off.

While not a state law, more & more shooting ranges in South Florida are prohibiting the use of lead-nosed AND steel-cased ammo. :mad: :mad: :mad:

There are also many that require you to purchase your ammo in-house, which is nothing but a way to gouge shooters & turns away re-loaders.
Great way to advance the whole shooting culture, eh? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is why I've moved away from the whole range scene & only shoot on private property out in the sticks that friends own.
Very inconvenient, but extremely liberating. ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Waveform...Are you in Naples, by chance?
There's a lead free range there. The 3 times I called to ask if they had .22LR lead free they were out of stock, so I went elsewhere.
Now that the Alamo range finally opened, I will not be surprised to see the "green" place close.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is an indoor range in Dallas, TX that checks ammo before you shoot. They run a magnet over any loose ammo or ammo not in a manufacturer's box looking for steel ammo. I think it punches through or otherwise damages their backstop. Other than that, no problems.

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
All of my rifle ammo, 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R, is steel-cased --- which makes me persona non grata at almost ANY indoor range. :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts