Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Traded the GP100 away this morning for a cherry 1988 vintage Mark II target model. My other pistol is a 1961 Single Six with the RX3? frame and the 4 5/8 inch barrel, which is supposed to be rareish? Anyway two fine rimfire guns, each with their own special qualities.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Two very nice shooting irons you have there.

I note that as I get older I enjoy shooting centerfire pistols less, and rimfire pistols more. It may just be me, or it could tend to come with age.

Have fun and enjoy the new Mark!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 66 and worked around radar all my life. Just got to the point where it just isn't comfortable to shoot the big guns. To me it's about marksmanship and I can do that cheaper and comfortably with my little .22"s. Seems like I'm coming full circle. Praise God.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Those are two fine nice guns. But only two? Man, I'd have to seriously pare down the collection..... <grin>

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have a Single six and a Mark II, wouldn't part with either of them. I do still shoot the bigger guns too, 45 ACP, .38 and 9 mm, occasionally a .357 just to make noise. I did get rid of my .44 a while ago, I'm 70 but I ain't gonna quit.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I still like the bigger bores at 78 but I load with lighter lead bullets and use a lot of Trail Boss...this morning I loaded up a bunch of 45 Colt with 200 grain Missouri #4 Cowboy bullets (soft bhn 12) and bunny fart loads of Trailboss...gentle, fun, no pressure on old hands and still can load up if I want to remember how it was..I only have one Single Six...and old flatgate..was going to sell it but decided to keep it and shoot up all the 22lr I've had for years...then maybe get rid of it..

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
old man guns

I collect S&W pre-1980 revolvers but seldom shoot them any more.:eek: The gun I shoot and enjoy the most by far is this MKIII. At my age ( 69) it is so much fun to go to the range on a nice day with a bag lunch, this pistol, a bunch of targets, and a couple bulk boxes of Federal Auto Match:):)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good looking pistol. I had a Standard Model, well used, out in El Paso right at 40 years ago. Wish I had held on to it. Ate everything I fed it, I'm sure the round count was in the thousands. Hope this one is as good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Two very nice shooting irons you have there.

I note that as I get older I enjoy shooting centerfire pistols less, and rimfire pistols more. It may just be me, or it could tend to come with age.

Have fun and enjoy the new Mark!
Nope, not just you! ! ! lol definite age thing!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: No more big guns . . .

Traded the GP100 away this morning for a cherry 1988 vintage Mark II target model. My other pistol is a 1961 Single Six with the RX3? frame and the 4 5/8 inch barrel, which is supposed to be rareish? Anyway two fine rimfire guns, each with their own special qualities.
I couldn't have written this post any better. The title says it all. I must be at the same stage (age) you are. I just bought a 22/45 and I'm lovin the daylights out of it!! My shotgun days (trap/skeet) are fading into the sunset as the aches and pains move into permanent residence. Great post. Thanks for your take.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,356 Posts
I am pushing 70 and have arthritis. I sold my Ruger Number 1 .458 Lott rifle, my Marlin .45/70 government lever-action rifle, and my S&W 460 revolvers. I am keeping my Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull, my five .44 magnum revolvers, and my Winchester '94 .44 magnum lever-action.

·
Super Moderator
16,323 Posts
Nice pair of rimfire pistols you have there :).

While I don't intend to give up shooting/carrying centerfire pistols (9mm & .45acp), long gone are the days of enjoying .44 Magnum, .357 magnum, +P and +P+ rounds thanks to aging wrists, elbows & shoulders.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. Was going to the range but had enough cold weather in Korea a long time ago. So I decided to clean it. Didn't forget everything and this gun hasn't been tore down before, had to get out the little plastic hammer. All was good, except the classic bolt will only come back a inch and a half. Dialed up Youtube and took a deep breath and got it my second try. Man where was the internet 40 years ago? Now I'm ready for the range when it warms up.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,460 Posts
Congrats on the trade in favor of a gun that you will enjoy.
My rimfire pair right now is a Single Six and GSG1911-22. I should have jumped on a rare (in my neck of the woods) opportunity to buy one of two used MKs on display at LGS where I previously bought the used Single Six.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The comments about age are interesting. I will be 76 in a little over a month and I don't consider myself old. I am blessed with generally good health and try to stay active. I just got my concealed carry permit and a 9mm Sig to go with it a few months ago, and have another 9mm Sig on order now. I still take long road trips and run autocross with my Mustang convertible. I guess I'll consider myself old when I get to the point that I can hide my own Easter eggs.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
First of all that's a very nice looking pair of pistols. Congrats!

I've kind been going the other way. I've completely lost interest in 22LR and have developed an affinity for bigger stuff. Over the last few months I've added 10mm, 454C and 458WinMag to my arsenal. Don't exactly know why. It just sorta happened. I'm not quite as seasoned as some of you but 60 is right around the corner. I hope to be able to keep shooting larger caliber stuff for a few more years.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'll be 77 in July and got my first gun around 1952.

Over the years I've owned many different caliber weapons but my main interest now is in handguns and rifles in .22 LR.

I have a 9mm Ruger SR9C and S&W Sigma .40 for home protection and a Winchester 30-30 in case a black bear or Coyote shows up at our horse barn.

Other than that, I have five .22 rifles and four handguns.

Hunting no longer interests me and I mainly plink or shoot targets and spend a lot of time admiring or working on my .22 guns.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Amazing, danwin22, I was in the Air Force from 1958-1962 also. I grew up in Miami and went in after High School.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts