Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many thousand loads, the Dillon finally missed one. The PT1911 jammed.[:0] I thought the pistol messed up.:( When I got back home & cleared the gun, I pulled the bullet out with the hammer. It evidently only had a small amount of powder. The bullet only moved about .040. Would a primer generate enough force to move it that much by itself[?]

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Oh yes. I have seen bullets go right to the end of the muzzle and stick there by primer power alone. I guess one reason I have never bought a automated press is because of the danger of missing filling a case with powder. Kind of hard to do that with a single stage press!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I happen to know that a guy on this board casts plastic bullets, puts them in a case with a primer only, and shoots them at small rodents in garages and places where you normally couldn't shoot.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Yup! Speer makes (or use to make) plastic bullets. I used to shoot them with primer power only, as well as parafin bullets for point-shooting practice. Primers provide a pretty good boost. I wouldn't want to be hit with the plastic or parafin. We also used to just seat a primer in an empty case and shot them as blanks. They are pretty darn loud.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kansas45

How do you make parafin bullets, rman?
Take a block of 1/2" thick parafin, sold as canning supplies, and push the cartridge into the block, using the case mouth as a hole cutter. A piece of hard wood and a mallet help if the wax is too hard. Clean the case up with a rag and then prime.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's supposed to rain for the rest of the week. I'm kinda' thinkin' about tryin' that wax deal out on Saturday.:D

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
kansas45, If you do the wax bullet trick, grab a batch of empties and drill the falsh holes out. This does two things ... it makes the "bullet" go faster and it keeps the primers from backing out of the case. Don't use drilled out flash hole cases for normal loading.

These things shoot way low so if you put an "aiming dot" about 6" above the bullseye, they should drop right in the bull.

To add a bit of spice to the game, try candle wax in different colors. You can even mix your own colors like FPP.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Used to load/shoot wax in my apt when I was a cop-painted the drilled-out cases red to keep from accidently loading them! RED.:D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's one reason I like this place. You guys are full of it! Information, that is.:D:D:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
These things are and can be a ton of fun but can also be a worry. I know from personal experience that, if used in the rec room, they can and do penetrate heavy, pricey drapes. [V]

Use normal firearms precautions around anything you don't really want to hurt.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Speer .44 Mag plastic case/plastic bullet combo will penetrate at least one side of an interior hollow core door. Don't ask how I know this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.