Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been holding in this rant for weeks now. I almost should put it in the Minefield, this has me so frustrated. Anyway, here goes.

How is it that the Ruger 10/22 can be so successful and so well-reviewed, yet at the same time it also gets no respect. What do I mean by that? Well, tell me you havent' heard this a thousand times, when someone asks about which semi-auto .22 rifle to buy: "well, the Marlin 60 is more accurate out of the box, but the great thing about the Ruger is that there are so many aftermarket parts available for it."

More accurate? Prove it. More aftermarket parts? Yes, no contest at all. But, why is it that when you start talking to someone about a Marlin 60, they start getting all nostalgic on you about how that was the rifle their paw paw gave them when they were six years old, and they still have it up in a closet somewhere, and man, I could shoot a gnat off a mouse with that thing... and so on? No one even wants to change anything about it. Yet, any time someone gets a new 10/22, the first thing they want to do it is change out every part but the serial number.

Now, I've got nothing against customizing any rifle. I must really be in the minority, though, because I really like my stock 10/22. At first I was not too turned on by the barrel band. But even that has grown on me. It makes a 10/22 instantly recognizable. Compared to my 10/22, the basic Marlin 60 looks pretty cheap. The sights look like they belong on a Daisy air rifle. When I got the Marlin, I got the more expensive model with the walnut stock and better sights. It is really nice, but also is much harder to re-assemble after cleaning.

At some point, I'd like to get an M1 carbine kit, and maybe also a walnut sporter model. But I just don't see anything wrong with the rifle I brought home from the store. Like almost any other modern weapon, it is inherently way more accurate than I could ever hope to shoot. It also runs flawlessly on any brand of .22lr ammo I can find.

If you want to customize your 10/22's, I am happy for you for all the enjoyment you will get. But I just wish folks would also appreciate the 10/22 more for what it is. Can you find a better value these days for about $200? I don't care what you buy. You get an awful lot for your money with a 10/22.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like upgrading my 10/22 TD or any 10/22 I buy in the future. Having said that, I by no means think it is necessary. The only thing as far as accuracy I've changed would be the scope, and that is a human enhancement, not the gun itself, and it is more accurate than I could ever be.

Personally, with everyone I know at least, have seen a lot of respect for the 10/22 and it's history. Even 10/22 haters can't argue it's accuracy or value for that matter. The few people I know that don't like 10/22 still admit to it's inventiveness for it time, durability, and even accuracy. That's just my experience and opinion though.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I don't get it either makes me think my Marlin 60 is a lemon because my 10/22 & my Remington nylon 66 will both out shoot it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Okay, I've been holding in this rant for weeks now. I almost should put it in the Minefield, this has me so frustrated. Anyway, here goes.

How is it that the Ruger 10/22 can be so successful and so well-reviewed, yet at the same time it also gets no respect. What do I mean by that? Well, tell me you havent' heard this a thousand times, when someone asks about which semi-auto .22 rifle to buy: "well, the Marlin 60 is more accurate out of the box, but the great thing about the Ruger is that there are so many aftermarket parts available for it."

More accurate? Prove it. More aftermarket parts? Yes, no contest at all. But, why is it that when you start talking to someone about a Marlin 60, they start getting all nostalgic on you about how that was the rifle their paw paw gave them when they were six years old, and they still have it up in a closet somewhere, and man, I could shoot a gnat off a mouse with that thing... and so on? No one even wants to change anything about it. Yet, any time someone gets a new 10/22, the first thing they want to do it is change out every part but the serial number.

Now, I've got nothing against customizing any rifle. I must really be in the minority, though, because I really like my stock 10/22. At first I was not too turned on by the barrel band. But even that has grown on me. It makes a 10/22 instantly recognizable. Compared to my 10/22, the basic Marlin 60 looks pretty cheap. The sights look like they belong on a Daisy air rifle. When I got the Marlin, I got the more expensive model with the walnut stock and better sights. It is really nice, but also is much harder to re-assemble after cleaning.

At some point, I'd like to get an M1 carbine kit, and maybe also a walnut sporter model. But I just don't see anything wrong with the rifle I brought home from the store. Like almost any other modern weapon, it is inherently way more accurate than I could ever hope to shoot. It also runs flawlessly on any brand of .22lr ammo I can find.

If you want to customize your 10/22's, I am happy for you for all the enjoyment you will get. But I just wish folks would also appreciate the 10/22 more for what it is. Can you find a better value these days for about $200? I don't care what you buy. You get an awful lot for your money with a 10/22.
if it makes you feel any better, I have not even considered the Marlin as a .22lr and I only considered the SR22 because I like the way it looks....I will probably end up going with the 10/22, not because of its aftermarket parts availability, but for its reliability.....everyone I have talked to has had the same opinion.....guess I just don't talk to enough people that have the Marlin nostalgia you are talking about....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Looked at a Marlin I thought it felt cheap and looked cheap. I put a 10/22 in my hands and SOLD! All I did internally was the bolt release plate and nylon bolt buffer. I want to do a trigger job next. These mods are necessary for convenience and accuracy but still is the best bang for the buck out of the box with a little tweaking here and there it doesn't hurt. It makes the rifle more enjoyable to shoot.

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
I have a Marlin Model 60 and like it better than a 10/22. I'm not hating on the 10/22 I just feel like the quality is a step up from the 10/22. As far as accuracy both rifles are probably 1000 times more accurate than I'll ever be. No doubt the 10/22 is a great value and it wins as far as customization. I just like the more solid feel to the Model 60, a stock 10/22 (blued/wood) just felt kind of cheap to me. Now my gf has the 10/22 takedown and that I am a big fan of. I love how its synthetic and stainless and it feels less cheap than a regular wood/blue 10/22. I am also just a big fan of the takedown concept and how it can be used for fun (like my model 60) or survival.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I guess it depends who you talk with, my 10/22s are all stock (except for the sling and swivels). Many a rabbit will vouch its accuracy if they were alive today :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a friggin 22 for goodness sake. Got 4 of them. But I still am going to grab my Ruger 77 22lr or my Savage mkii fpsr 22lr first. They just shoot better. Ford Or Chevy? Nope all of them. I like them all. Want one of all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got both guns, but never knew there was some owner rivalry.

I had the Marlin first, but preferred the feel, weight and general maneuverability of the 10/22 in its stock form, and I'm more accurate with the Ruger's iron sights, so that's what I shoot now. The Marlin hasn't even been out of the house since I bought my 10/22.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do agree with lethal threat, would be nice to have all. Also when we talk about accuracy, are we talking getting the job done, and doing it well, or match grade competition etc etc? I'm no expert by any means, but it does fine for me. You can ask the pecan thieving squirrels.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just bought my second 10/22. But if I am going hunting I will grab my Marlin 60. It is more accurate and feels better in my hands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the 1965 I bought my first 22 a Mossberg 350Ka semi-auto.(22 short,long and lr).
Last year I bought a Mossberg 702.
2 months ago I bought a Ruger 10/22 after shooting one.
I like all 3 rifles.
As for the Marlin 60 the only thing I do not like is the tube feed.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
In years past, I've owned [and sold off] both a Model 60 and a 10/22. Between the two, I wish I'd kept the Ruger. If I were going to buy another .22, it would be a 10/22. Here at my local Wal Mart, I can get the stainless steel, synthetic stock model for $247.00. I don't need one, but at that price, I may yet talk myself into one. The price, reliability, accuracy, available accessories, and of course, the Ruger marque, all factor into my choice.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't think its a matter of disrespect. I think people like to tinker with their rifles and personalize and make something unique. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
597 Posts
No matter what you decide on, you are bound to do something extra to your rifles. Also it is a matter of what feels right in your hands. If it feels right it will perform to your liking most of the time. I liked how the 10/22 felt in my hands but unfortunately I couldn't leave it stock when I got it home and even before I shot it. I immediately added a scope, bolt buffer, bipod, and bolt release plate. Shoots nice and accurate with the add-ons and love it, but don't know how it does right out of box, but I'm sure it does just as well stock.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If you put both the Marlin 60 and a Ruger 10/22 in a machine rest and tested for accuracy, I seriously doubt there would be a significant difference. The Marlin may have features that make it a bit easier for the shooter to shoot accurately, right out of the box - nicer trigger and so on - but the fact that so many shooters have turned an ordinary 10/22 into a competition grade rifle proves that the 10/22 is also an accurate platform. I think the "Marlin 60s are more accurate, but the 10/22 has more available accessories" is one of those things that gets passed around so much that it becomes darn near gospel. As to the quality issue, not much difference between a low end 10/22 and a Marlin 60, true, but only the 10/22 is offered in a higher end walnut stock version or a full blown target version. Moreover, no Marlin 60 ever made will compare to my 60s or 80s vintage, walnut stocked 10/22s in fit or finish. I'll take the 10/22 any day.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I have six 10/22's if you count one Charger as a 10/22. Most are stock vintage 60's with trigger work using the stock vintage parts. But one is also on a folding stock and has an Aimpoint sitting on top of it. Try doing that with a a Marlin.

I like getting the underdog a lot but not in this case.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I like em both.

I have the following in the safe:

77/22 All Weather
10/22 All Weather (with limited mods)
10/22 Blued Wood (with limited mods)
10/22 Blued in BC folding stock (with limited mods)

Marlin Glenfield 60
Marlin Glenfield 75
Marlin Glenfield 75 (yes I have two)
Marlin Glenfield 25

All of them will outshoot me, with the exception of the 25. I make that exception only because I haven't made it to the range with it yet.

I did a test a few years ago of a stock 10/22 side by side with my Marlin 60 and the 10/22 won the accuracy challenge at 25 yds using the same scope and 3 different common .22 loads. I think the "x is more accurate than y" argument is a little overblown. Any one example can be shown to outshoot another and I don't think anyone has done scientific analysis with enough of a sample size to prove one way or the other.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I have a 10/22 Deluxe Sporter, because I wanted a nice wood stock. It's all factory except for a home-made bolt buffer. It shoots better than I can.

Doesn't matter which model 10/22 you get, they all have the same "works", all should be just as accurate.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts