Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever notice those news stories that tell about stranded mountain climbers? Or "extreme" skiers, skateboarders, skydivers, or bungee jumpers who got a bit too extreme and ended up extremely stuck, broken, or dead? I find it very difficult to feel sorry for such people. Mountain climbers: If God wanted us to climb mountains, He would've put stairs on them. Now, because of your stupid need for adventure, a rescue team has to risk their own lives to come try to save you, and they often lose their lives in the process. Extreme Skiers: Skiing in and of itself is dangerous enough. But you people feel compelled to plunge off 90 degree angle mountain faces. Then you end up in traction. Skateboarders: When I was a kid, I had a skateboard. But I actually RODE it. I didn't try to skate down stairs, or stair guard rails, or off of concrete embankments. Skydivers: If the plane is crashing, by all means, jump. Otherwise: You're a moron [the exception here is our brave military folks who do this as a part of their job]. Bungee jumpers: Hey, let's go jump off of a very high structure and trust a giant rubber band to save us! Worst of all, when these people do nearly kill themselves doing all this stuff, as soon as they heal up, they go right back to doing the same dumb thing that almost killed them! To sum it up: Life is hard. It's a *#?! of a lot harder if you're stupid.

·
Registered
728 Posts
It seems to me NCLEO that you have not fully thought through the risks people take in everyday life.

I DO agree that others should not have to risk their life to save someone that has made their own decision to risk their life. However, some of the things you mention here are more safe than things we do on a daily basis.

Take in to account that your average person drives 12xxx miles every year. That average person has a 1 in 6,000 chance of dying while driving that year. If the same person skydives once that year, the chance they will die doing it is 1 in 100,000.

Bungee jumpers have safety measures (a giant cushion under them) and if they choose to jump where such safety measures are not present, that is their risk.

I do certainly acknowledge that extreme adventuring, mountain climbing and skiing are risky. As I said above, it is not fair to have someone risk their life because you risked yours. It is also that person's right to go mountain climbing if they want. We all know the risks and if you decide to take it, be prepared to die if it comes to that.

While I don't plan on taking the risk of extreme base jumping, I personally am not going to sit on the couch and not have fun my entire life because there are risks every time I walk out my front door.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
God didn't make cars either so I guess you walk everyplace right? ;) We don't have wings so I guess flying is out of the question too. Wow, be a heck of a walk to take a nice vacation. :lol:
While some of these people do put themselves in situations that are really ignorant and stupid, how boring would life be sitting idle all the time? Just think, if ppl didn't have a sense of adventure how small our country would be not having the historic explorers.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I believe that people have the right to take those risks. I know several sky divers and they say deep down they enjoy the risk that there is a chance of the chute not opening. Go figure.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to me NCLEO that you have not fully thought through the risks people take in everyday life.

I DO agree that others should not have to risk their life to save someone that has made their own decision to risk their life. However, some of the things you mention here are more safe than things we do on a daily basis.

Take in to account that your average person drives 12xxx miles every year. That average person has a 1 in 6,000 chance of dying while driving that year. If the same person skydives once that year, the chance they will die doing it is 1 in 100,000.

Bungee jumpers have safety measures (a giant cushion under them) and if they choose to jump where such safety measures are not present, that is their risk.

I do certainly acknowledge that extreme adventuring, mountain climbing and skiing are risky. As I said above, it is not fair to have someone risk their life because you risked yours. It is also that person's right to go mountain climbing if they want. We all know the risks and if you decide to take it, be prepared to die if it comes to that.

While I don't plan on taking the risk of extreme base jumping, I personally am not going to sit on the couch and not have fun my entire life because there are risks every time I walk out my front door.
Plenty of ways to have fun without the activities I described.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I was raised by uncles and cousins in the old school tradition of always respecting Mother Nature and being prepared, never taking a stupid risk when outdoors and so on. It's who I am, now.

So, okay, it does rankle a bit to see people who flaunt this very philosophy, but, like others have said, the extreme folks have a right to take the risk as long as no one else has to risk their lives in the process and, I might add, as long as my tax dollars aren't being used to mount a rescue operation when they get themselves in trouble.

Sympathy, though? No way.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Plenty of ways to have fun without the activities I described.

What's fun for you, doesn't mean it's fun for everyone else any more than the activities you're having issues with should be fun for you as they are for those that enjoy them. We're individuals not lemmings. Remember, this is the United States and we have the freedom to enjoy our chosen activities.
Still awaiting the response about how if we were to climb mountains God would've given them stairs, etc while we drive, fly etc and those are "God-given". Nothing regarding the historic explorers that didn't feel it to their liking to sit idle where they were and not explore and seek adventure? :p

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Ever notice those news stories that tell about stranded mountain climbers? Or "extreme" skiers, skateboarders, skydivers, or bungee jumpers who got a bit too extreme and ended up extremely stuck, broken, or dead? I find it very difficult to feel sorry for such people. Mountain climbers: If God wanted us to climb mountains, He would've put stairs on them. Now, because of your stupid need for adventure, a rescue team has to risk their own lives to come try to save you, and they often lose their lives in the process. Extreme Skiers: Skiing in and of itself is dangerous enough. But you people feel compelled to plunge off 90 degree angle mountain faces. Then you end up in traction. Skateboarders: When I was a kid, I had a skateboard. But I actually RODE it. I didn't try to skate down stairs, or stair guard rails, or off of concrete embankments. Skydivers: If the plane is crashing, by all means, jump. Otherwise: You're a moron [the exception here is our brave military folks who do this as a part of their job]. Bungee jumpers: Hey, let's go jump off of a very high structure and trust a giant rubber band to save us! Worst of all, when these people do nearly kill themselves doing all this stuff, as soon as they heal up, they go right back to doing the same dumb thing that almost killed them! To sum it up: Life is hard. It's a *#?! of a lot harder if you're stupid.
I couldn't agree more. However, there are some "risky" sports I have enjoyed (rarely) such as downhill skiing, parasailing (pulled by a boat), water skiing and motorcycle riding - trust me, the way I used to ride, it was a risky sport! ;)

I don't care if people want to do this stuff. And the very few rescuers I've ever talked to about it, usually are into the adrenalyn it takes to recover those people. So there's a yin and yang to it. A friend of mine wanted me to go zip cording through a Mexican jungle. I might have done that, but wasn't able to make the trip. He eventually did go by himself and enjoyed it.

I've always thought it would be cool to skydive, but there's no way you could pry my hands off the doorway to get me out. These are called survival instincts. You're body is trying to tell you you're an idiot and tries it's best to stop you. I guess the thrill is in overcoming that. Not for me, nope, uh-uh.

A couple of friends took a trip to New Zealand and they have these underground water passages you take on inner tubes. I told them they wouldn've never gotten me to do that. It's dark, in a cave filled with water. Not for me.

But I also agree with you that if they get hurt, they get no sympathy from me. They CHOSE to do that. Like someone's got on their signature, stupid should hurt! :D

Do you get involved with these nut jobs on the job? Just wondering.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe that people have the right to take those risks. I know several sky divers and they say deep down they enjoy the risk that there is a chance of the chute not opening. Go figure.
To clarify: I'm not saying that these people don't have the right to do stupid things. I'm saying that while there's risk in almost everything we do in life, I just can't feel sorry for people who take huge, unnecessary gambles with their lives for no other reason than having "fun"....particularly when they lose that gamble.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Do you get involved with these nut jobs on the job? Just wondering.
Not that often, though it has happened. Most often, I see this kind of stuff on TruTV, where they specialize in showing different video clips of various fools, employing various methods, to try and win the Darwin award.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Not that often, though it has happened. Most often, I see this kind of stuff on TruTV, where they specialize in showing different video clips of various fools, employing various methods, to try and win the Darwin award.
Yeah, I've got some friends that watch that kind of stuff on TV all the time. I either look away or go outside and have a cigar! It's almost like I feel it when I see them do a face slam or have arms and legs with too many elbows and knees. Heck, I've seen things in football that just about made me sick! Besides riding motorcycles, I used to love to watch the race. It's a completely different dynamic than car racing and when the guys crash, they go flying. But amazingly, they usually come out of the crashes OK. My newphew used to race Super Sprint race cars and I saw him get into a few terrible crashes, but he never got hurt, not even when he would flip up into the air and come down upsidedown! After he quit auto racing he got in a wreck on the road and that put him in the hospital.

Yep, there's risks to everything.

But besides watching stupid people get hurt, my next least favorite shows are reality cop shows... except for Reno 911 - I liked that one! :D But I just don't understand trying to do real policework with a camera crew following you around. The ones where it's from a car mounted cam, those are usually a little more intesting. But I think if more people see what cops do everyday, they might be respected more. No two ways about it. It's a hard job.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
We have had a few "round the world" sailors come unstuck near Australia over the last few years.
The rescue missions themselves have cost millions of dollars.
One guy was even a repeat offender.
The govt. is looking at ways of charging in the future.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have had a few "round the world" sailors come unstuck near Australia over the last few years.
The rescue missions themselves have cost millions of dollars.
One guy was even a repeat offender.
The govt. is looking at ways of charging in the future.
Makes perfect sense to me.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I have no sympathy for extreme nuts, either. Like I am a supporter of repealing motorcycle helmet laws. But I am also a supporter of an insurance company choosing to not pay one cent for injuries sustained by not wearing a helmet. They have a freedom of choice, just like the rider.

If you have to get your ya-yas doing something crazy, fine. Just don't expect someone else to risk their money or neck helping you when you wipe out.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I am less concerned about the experienced thrill seekers than I am about the rookies that have no clue what they're doing.

Living near Pikes Peak the search and rescue folks tend to have more trouble with flatlanders wanted to bag a 14er. I've seen fools heading up in jeans and sneakers during the winter.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Whether I approve of someone doing something "extreme" that might be life threatening doesn't matter. I respect their right to do it if they choose to do so.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whether I approve of someone doing something "extreme" that might be life threatening doesn't matter. I respect their right to do it if they choose to do so.
I know it doesn't matter if I [or anyone else] approve it. I, too, respect their right to try to remove themselves from the gene pool in spectacularly stupid ways. Heck, I even enjoy watching them do it on those aforementioned TV shows! I'm only voicing my opinion, same as anyone else. Since we're in the Tavern, let me buy you a drink.;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have no sympathy for extreme nuts, either. Like I am a supporter of repealing motorcycle helmet laws. But I am also a supporter of an insurance company choosing to not pay one cent for injuries sustained by not wearing a helmet. They have a freedom of choice, just like the rider.

If you have to get your ya-yas doing something crazy, fine. Just don't expect someone else to risk their money or neck helping you when you wipe out.
Sorry Bearcatter but I think riding without a helmet is just as bad as any extreme sport out there. There's lots of options for helmets in terms of style, price, and comfort. I respect your opinion that you think it should be the insurance companies right to not cover you if you don't wear one. But with all the crazy people out there on four wheels, why not keep your face and skull intact? When I got cut off by a driver riding my motorcycle I suffered only from dinged ribs. The two large scuff marks on my helmet proved wearing one is worth it beyond a shadow of a doubt. If you don't wear one I'd hate to see anything happen to you.

·
Super Moderator
21,714 Posts
In NH Fish and Game, who is in charge of the rescue of hikers or others lost in the woods, has a policy that if you aren't prepared for a hike and head out with T-shirt and flip flops into the white mountains and they have to go in and get you out (often after dark) then you will be charged for it. It usually amounts to several thousands and they have charged people who are foolish like the example I mentioned.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts