Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use them? I stopped in to get my first box of rounds and the price for hollow point rounds were very high for only a box of 25, the solid tip rounds were cheaper and you get more to the box so I went with those. The reason I was going to get the HP was because I know what they do when they hit a target, but I will prolly target shoot most of these anyway, for now they are in my gun in the safe and will also be my self defense rounds if needed. I know HP rounds are better for this but I couldnt get myself to pay 30 bucks for only 25 rounds.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
There shouldn't be any difference it the way your gun handles them. Some guns seem to like the round nose better than hollow points but all my guns handle them all the same. If the shot is put in a vital area either one will do the job.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Cheapest target stuff I've found is Wally world-9.95 for 50 45s and around 8 for 50 .38s...I would buy the best I caould afford to carry and reload with in case of trouble...then go for cheap for practice...I've spent as high as $3 per round (Glasers) and will soon buy Pow'RBall and DPX---regardless of cost...for carry....not that much difference in recoil so practice cheap and you'll do fine if it gets serious...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Have yet to get my hands on dpx.

If you do some shopping around, you can get some good quality hp for much less. With any hp, i recomend that you run several mags through the gun to make sure it feeds properly. I'd shop wal-mart or Academy Sports or maybe check some internet sources if the local shops are too high.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to give you an idea the local shop wanted 30.00 for 25 rounds of hollow points, and 12.00 for a box of 50 round nose shells. When I can swing the extra dough I will get some HP's to keep loaded for defense use. And use the round tips for target shooting.

·
Registered
170 Posts
One thing you really should do when choosing a defensive round, (whatever JHP you decide to use) is to shoot enough of it to be absolutely certain that your pistol will go BANG everytime without fail when you need it.

Granted, it can be an expensive range day, but if you are not sure about reliability or some particular brand of defensive ammo just won't fire every time, is that worth the cost savings? And it's not like you are going thru boxes and boxes on a regular basis.

I tried 200 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr JHPs and 200 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP's in my P89. Out of all of those, I had 6 failures of some type with the Federals and zero failures with the Remington GS round. The GS rounds were about $6 a box more than the Federals. Guess what's in my P89?? Hint: they come in a green box.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought 100 rnds of Blazer FMJ in .45 ACP from Wally World for $23.16 out the door. For the house the 345 stays loaded with JHP but the Blazers are great for the range. I have about 700 rnds of various types of ammo through my KP345 and have never had a FTF or FTE. Also have never had a "click no bang". This is probably the best record of any handgun I have ever owned or fired. I trust this gun explicitly.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nothing wrong with FMJ or hardball even as a defense load. It's been getting the job done for years. A quote by the late Jeff Cooper, "Failure to stop is rare".

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Have not checked in a while, does wally-world still have that special order book on the counter? can one special order ammo rom them? Might be able to get some good hollowpoints that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts