Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked a bunch but what's a good SD non +p round in .38 special.. A caveat, how does Ruger's .38 special +p lcr handle 158gr loads??

·
Super Moderator
21,412 Posts
My LCR 38 handles 158 gr +P loads just fine. My carry load is a Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWC-HP/GC +P. It chronies out of my LCR at an average of 1,017 FPS and is accurate but a bit snappy on the recoil side. At age 65 with a touch of arthritis in my knuckles it is still not a problem for me.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My LCR 38 handles 158 gr +P loads just fine. My carry load is a Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWC-HP/GC +P. It chronies out of my LCR at an average of 1,017 FPS and is accurate but a bit snappy on the recoil side. At age 65 with a touch of arthritis in my knuckles it is still not a problem for me.
Buffalo Bore has several very interesting 38 non +P loads. I have the 110 grain Barnes TAC-XP JHP. They also have a non +P LSWC. Hornady Critical Defense non +P also seems to be a good SD round, I have some of those in the bottom of my safe. The non +P rounds I have are for possible use in an old 38 not rated for +P.

I also have some of the 158 gr LSWC-HP/GC +P on the way from Midway for use as a SD round in my LCR 357 (along with half a box of Hornady Critical Defense +P and some Remington Golden Sabers). With the tight supply of ammo, I have not been able to settle on and stock up on a single SD round for any of my handguns, but I have been lucky enough to have a box or 2 of some of the better rated rounds.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I went with a less state-of-the-art round for carry in my LCR-357. Using Hornady 125 grain XTP .38, it's not a +P. A semi jacketed hollow point. Just call me old-fashioned. I normally shoot CCI's Independence 130 gr FMJ at the range.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, like I said in another post guess I'm just waiting to go to the range and try them out... Gonna check back with Dunham's to see if they stock the brand regularly...

·
Registered
785 Posts
I use Critical Defense +p in mine, but it looks like there isn't a ton of velocity loss by using standard pressure ones. They are 110 grain.

I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with 158gr loads, standard or +p. The LCR has proven to be quite durable with lots of rounds through it of various weights and pressures.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
That's why I went SP101 for my 38 special. Although I'll only shoot 38 special out of it, it's still built to handle 357 pressure loads so it will hold up very well with only 38 spec. Smithy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts