Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see folks posting that they just received their non resident ccp from this state or that. But I often wonder what is the benefit of having a non resident permit. Obviously one is looking for greater coverage but mine is from Florida. As I look at handgunlaw.us it seems to me that mine has more reciprocity than most. It addition I see many states only offer reciprocity to resident permit only. It seems to me that non resident permits have a limited value unless you have a specific need or situation.

So am I missing something?

Thanks

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Lots of places talk about getting the Utah non-resident permit so you can carry in "32 states" but as you pointed out many states only offer reciprocity to resident permits.

For my personal needs I'll be putting in for a NH non-resident as I live in a border town and often have to travel into NH. I think the majority of people who get non-resident permits are in the same type of situation or have homes in multiple states (snow birds as we call them in New England).

· Registered
68 Posts
I have a resident permit in Virginia. It covers a lot of area, but not Alabama or Georgia, which I travel to for work. Florida and Arizona non-resident permits both cover those two states, so I decided on Arizona, because it was cheaper, and it also covers Nevada.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Give us national reciprocity already......... States honor other states drivers licenses, shouldn't be any different.

Or better yet.....this \/

· Registered
102 Posts
Florida is one of the better states for reciprocity, I got a Utah non-resident permit because it added about 6 states I travel to and through over my NE resident permit. (now an Iowa resident permit) All depends on where you reside.

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Here in Nevada everyone applies for Nevada and Utah to get more states and some also apply for Fl because it gives you one more state Fl. But now everyone just appling for Nevada & Fl if you have those two you don't need Utah. I have a Nevada & a Utah.

· Registered
586 Posts
So I'm an Illinois resident (let's not go there), so no resident carry permit. Was easy to get a Utah permit there, giving me a bunch of states including (then) my other home in NM. Added non-res NH since I go there often. Then NM dropped UT; since I had the paperwork for FL from my course, I got that for NM. There was a question about whether NM would drop FL, so added VA as a backup. For a time, NM dropped them both, got AZ. Then NM reinstated most (not UT). At present I keep UT for WI & MN, FL and AZ for NM (and AZ for NV, FL for FL), and NH for NH. I'll let VA expire unless something changes. But for now 5 total. 36 states.

· Administrator
23,662 Posts
I have a resident NH permit and that gives me 25 states (now). We winter in Texas and that was not one of them so I went searching. PA give me 6 more states including Texas and a neighboring state up here, Maine. The route we use to tow the trailer to Texas is such that once I clear NY I'm good until I come back thru NY in the spring. It was $10 for a NH permit and $26 for the PA NR Permit.

· Registered
6,946 Posts
I have a resident permit in Virginia. It covers a lot of area, but not Alabama or Georgia, which I travel to for work. Florida and Arizona non-resident permits both cover those two states, so I decided on Arizona, because it was cheaper, and it also covers Nevada.
I have a VA resident, too. I guess if I ever get my dream move to NM or AZ, I'll just skip AL or GA getting any of my travel money.......:rolleyes:

· Registered
1,082 Posts
I have a resident Tennessee. My Florida non-resident gives me no additional reciprocity. I only have it because I moved from Florida, changed it to non-resident, still good for a few more years, but is essentially worthless to me. My situation anyway.....I did save $65 bucks though because I had already been fingerprinted and FBI checked in Florida, which covered the cost of the Tenn CCW class.

· Registered
40 Posts
I see folks posting that they just received their non resident ccp from this state or that. But I often wonder what is the benefit of having a non resident permit. Obviously one is looking for greater coverage but mine is from Florida. As I look at handgunlaw.us it seems to me that mine has more reciprocity than most. It addition I see many states only offer reciprocity to resident permit only. It seems to me that non resident permits have a limited value unless you have a specific need or situation.

So am I missing something?

Thanks
Since I tour on my Harley, I require additional states to cover as much of my route as possible (still can't find a way to Milwaukee without storing the LC9 unloaded in a portable safe locked in the saddlebag). Plus, I live in OH but work in PA.

My OH CHL get me the following:
AK*, AR, AZ, DE, FL, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, SC, SD, TN, UT, VA, VT*, WA, WV, WY,

My PA non-resident CHL gains me these additinal states:
GA, PA TX

· Registered
198 Posts
Am very surprized that Wi. doesn't honor your Oh. permit. Our qualifications are very lienent, too lienent in my mind. I do have a Wi. permit don't even know how many states honor it. I do have one under a federal act for retired LEOs which is good in all 50 states. I have to qualify each and every year and pay my $50 fee to my old department, which is fine with me, oh yes have to pass annual background check too.

· Banned
1,402 Posts
A lot of people got non resident licenses from FL or UT, because at the time, we didn't know who they were going to honor, or who was going to honor Wisconsin.....having a Utah permit made you good in 28 states I believe......

· Administrator
23,662 Posts
Since I tour on my Harley, I require additional status to cover as much as my routes as possible (still can't find a way to Milwaukee without storing the LC9 unloaded in a portable safe locked in the saddlebag). Plus, I live in OH but work in PA.

My OH CHL get me the following:
AK*, AR, AZ, DE, FL, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, SC, SD, TN, UT, VA, VT*, WA, WV, WY,

My PA non-resident CHL gains me these additinal states:
CO, GA, ME, NH, PA TX
CO, NH and now ME accept resident permits only so you are not legal in those states. ME must be recent as it was news to me when I checked:

Handgunlaw.us

· Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the states that don't accept non-resident licenses. I copy / pasted from the BuckeyeFirearms.com list. Will always check specific states before traveling in anything changes.

· Registered
359 Posts
Living in the PRNJ trying to get a NJ CCW permit is impossible without being politically connected with the "justifiable need" provision. I got a UT non resident permit which covers me in most of the states I would want to travel to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.