Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, and have a question about a potential gunsmithing action I'm pondering...I currently have a GP100 4", a USST Race rifle 10/22, a Talo X-17 .17hmr, and my wife's gun -- a S&W 442. This thing kicks like a mule, even with .38 wadcutters. I've changed the grips to some Hogue grips to get more handle on the gun, but it hasn't helped much. Here's the question...would it help to have this unit magna-ported (if it can even be done), or should I consider a different weight firearm for my wife (aka SP101)?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,479 Posts
Here's my opinion: Many men buy light guns for their wives or girl friends because they think lighter is better. They also think the gun must be very powerful. That's fine until they shoot the darn things. Recoil is a product of the power of the cartridge and the weight of the gun and yes, even wadcutters kick in a light revolver. Recoil turns a person (especially women) against shooting faster than anything else.

At the range, your wife will be much happier with a SP-101 or better yet a GP-100 for recoil but can she hold the gun at arm's length long enough to shoot accurately. I know my wife is not very strong when it comes to holding a gun at arm's length. I ended up buying her a Walther P-22. It isn't a powerhouse but she enjoys shooting it and is deadly accurate out to 15 yards.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The M-442 at 15oz is just to light for all but the very best shooters who practice with them all the time. The SP-101 weights in at about 28oz empty and can handle +P loads with ease. The 3" model of the SP-101/GP-100 tames all but the very hottest .357mags. I don't know the weights on the GP-100 but they will handle your needs as well. Be careful as the wrong grip on a snub-nose shooting .357mags can break bones in your hand. Ask my wife as she was out of action for about 6 weeks and was not a happy camper with me. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
+++1!!! Iowegan!!! Light gun usually means too much recoil to enjoy shooting...the ladies like the firm heft of a steel revolver just like we do...will practice more and shoot better, and enjoy LOTS more than an airweight or Ti or Scandium...my old flea-bitten opinion is that those who carry an airweight won't practice enough because it hurts...and won't be as effective as the shooter who carries an all-steel or stainless of the same model and enjoys shooting it....the "comfort" isn't worth it to me because as I need it and squeeze off the life-saving round-I don't want "flinch cause this is gonna hurt" rattlin' around in the back of my head.....my 14-yr.-old has been outshooting me with full house FBI/Chicago loads for two years...light slim hands....in my M649 Stainless Bodyguard 2"--proof's in the pudding....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
IMHO mag-n-porting won't help resolve this problem. It will possibly reduce some of the muzzle flip and change the recoil to more felt straight back into the hand. It will still be uncomfortable and even unmanageable to a small handed person. Match the gun to the purpose to the shooter. An SP101 2 1/8" would work much better for self defense, and a 3" GP for multi-use target & defensive weapon.
I don't even like shooting the lightweights.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I don't either, Jimbo-and the older we get the more prone to breaking a bone on recoil....the worst I've ever shot was a S&W M12-the K-frame 2" made for the Air Force...thought I'd been hit by a batted ball-dumped that one like an old bag of potatoes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rugerdaddy, Never "underestimate" what a woman can or cannot do until you have seen her in "action"! I once had a young gal working for me in the Air Force who had an assignment for Korea and was going to have to qualify with a .38 Special. She asked if I would take her out and teach her to shoot before she had to qualify. She had never fired or held any kind of weapon, not even at Lackland AFB during basic training. We started with a .22 revolver with shorts. That lasted all of 15 seconds! We "graduated" to .22 long rifles and that went 15 seconds also! She ran several clips of .380's through my Browning 1971 and now she was having a ball and actually hitting targets pretty regular! Next we went to .38 Wadcutters and then regular .38 special factory ball. Not even a flinch! I thought I would give her a nice little "surprise" so loaded a cylinder of my "full power" .357 mag hunting loads! After the six shots she wanted to know if I had anything "fiercer"! So we went to my Model 29 with "full" power 240 grain hunting loads and she went through a full 50 round box just laughing up a storm and having a ball! Next I goaded her into taking a shot with my Thompson Center Super Contender in .30-30 Win two handed! Well now that old boy "bucked" pretty good two handed and she was starting to get just a little "gun shy"! So me being the "big shot", fired that T/C "one-handed" a couple of times. Of course, now she had to try it one-handed. Well the old boy nearly bucked right out of her hand and she had "finally" had enough shootin' for the "first" time! We had shot for a couple of hours. When she "qualified" with the .38, she scored higher than the 9 men she shot with! Never, never, underestimate a WOMAN!!!............Dick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts