Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for the newb question but is it normal for a blued Ruger GP100 to have cylinder wear marks when it is brand new? I'm asking because there is one I'm interested on Gunbroker being sold as brand new but there are visible wear marks on the cylinder. I can see where the marks may have been made from fitting and test firing but I have never owned a revolver before so I don't know what's normal. The revolver is a little over 850 bucks so I just want to be sure that it is in fact brand new before bidding. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, bill2336! Looks like new, maybe never shot. But if never shot, it was "played" with. You know, maybe just someone payed a lot for a gun, but said why shoot it? Who knows, but it's definitely been "action tested" since new. I suppose not a bad buy, either way! Nice piece!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,849 Posts
It’s not uncommon for a new revolver since the action may be cycled numerous times in the process of fitting, the cylinder latch may have a sharp edge and then there’s the test firing on top of that. Unless you’re trying for a pristine example to put away and never shoot it doesn’t matter since you’ll just end up putting a turn ring on it anyway.

$850 for a 1753 strikes me as high but these are crazy times....

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,849 Posts
Sorry, I meant to add, a new from factory rev will not have turn lines.
Not true. Most will have a turn line just some more pronounced than others. As stated before, the action is cycled in production, some Ruger cylinder latches have a sharp edge that takes the bluing off right away and they all get test fired so the action gets cycled then as well. I’ve taken delivery of a number of GP100s that came to my dealer friend straight from the big distributor and were never handled before me and they had visible turn lines. You just can’t read much into turn lines like what you see in that photo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. It's definitely going to get shot and I don't mind honest wear marks that I put there or that are just a function of something being test fired or fitted during manufacture. Just want to be sure that I'm the first actual owner I guess. The price is high but it's the only one I've been able to locate as everybody seems to be sold out. I'm also considering the new Ruger GP100 champion with the hogue grip and full lug. I can get it about 50.00 cheaper. What's making the decision harder I guess is that the 3" Wiley Clapp would probably be better for concealed carry which I'd like to do a fair amount.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Technically new means that it has never been legally transferred to an individual. That is not to say that it hasn't been handled and cycled the action a fair number of times. So, turn lines can be normal on an otherwise new revolver, not a problem.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'd contact the seller and ask why there is such a prominent turn line on a factory new gun...just to see what they say. Maybe they might cut a few bucks off.

The serial number look up on Ruger.com says it was shipped in 2019 and not in production. If that's the one you want, I'd go for it. As a TALO model you don't know if they will be making any more. I find that if I'm willing spend $800, I'm willing to spend $850 for the one I really want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seller replied back and said the marks are from just being handled and people trying out the trigger. I'll be picking it up shortly. A little present to myself to celebrate the end of my military deployment. Well that and the Sig Sauer M18 I'm also getting funded by the sale of a Glock 19 Gen 5

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,761 Posts
The revolver is a little over 850 bucks so I just want to be sure that it is in fact brand new before bidding. Thank you for your help.
It is less the turn line than the price that concerns me. Is this pandemic gouging, or is that a good price today? I have purchased exactly 2 new guns in my life. I hunt months for a bargain.

I picked up a barely used 1996 GP100, stainless 4.2” barrel, in early 2017 for $700. I prefer a Wheelgun from when Ruger apparently had much better quality control. It has been a first-rate shot for me and my wife.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's maybe a little high but I wouldn't consider it price gouging. Cheapest I could find it anywhere for the last six months or so is maybe 750 at the cheapest but more like 800+. This particular one is also the only one I could find in new and in stock anywhere. These Wiley Clapp guns are, at least supposed to be, limited editions so there's that to consider as well. From what I can tell they only made 2500 of them. I just managed to order 200 rds of 38Special and I'm still trying to locate some .357Magnum. Crazy times for sure.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,761 Posts
These Wiley Clapp guns are, at least supposed to be, limited editions so there's that to consider as well. From what I can tell they only made 2500 of them. I just managed to order 200 rds of 38Special and I'm still trying to locate some .357Magnum. Crazy times for sure.
It is a lovely “Roscoe.” I like that barrel length.

Let us know how it does. I have a spare 3” barrel and want a beater GP to mate it with!

No ammo shortage here, since I reload. Components are still readily available. I’ve started to learn shotshell reloading because of an ammunition shortage for buckshot and slugs. Funny thing is that my first loads will be bird shot...because I use it on snakes around the farm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bill, purdy pistola, there is no price gouging if you want it; for your ammo check .357 Mag Ammo
i saw one place has free shipping.. don't know the specifics.. anyway nice looking piece.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's on the way. Not easy to arrange an FFL transfer while out at sea but the pistol will be waiting for me when I get back. I'm pretty excited to take it out when I get back. I ordered a Safariland Model 5 black widow belt slide holster for it that will be shipping next week. I managed to find some 158 gr .357 Magnum. I was initially only going to order 100rds but Ammo Supply Warehouse said if I doubled my order they'd ship it for the same amount so now I've got 200 rounds of 357 coming.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice purchase! That's probably not a very common model. If you see any, I'd also pick up some .38spl. Shoots softer for when you're just putting holes in paper.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,849 Posts
Just a little info on the limited status of the 1752 and 1753 Wiley Clapp GP100s. When they were first released there were statements floating around that the stainless 1752 was gonna be limited to 2000 and the blue 1753 was limited to 2500. But since Ruger rarely uses unique serial numbers for distributor exclusives it’s pretty hard to track such things. Early on there were suspicions production had passed the numbers believed to be produced and sure enough TALO released a statement in 2014 admitting they had somehow lost track of production and at that time (6 years ago) production of the 1752 had already surpassed 4800. Both models have remained on Ruger’s website and it would appear batches are still being made from time to time. Oooops....

Pretty hard to pull the plug on one of the best looking and most popular GP100 distributor exclusives ever made. I suspect as long as people still like them and want them TALO will keep ‘em coming and Ruger is happy to oblige.

It’s a cool revolver and I’ve owned examples of both in the past. But the rarity factor (if you can even consider 2000 or 2500 of something truly rare) of any DE model is easily overstated. In this case no one knows outside of TALO and Ruger how many are out there and they’re not saying. 5000+ for sure. 10000? Who knows. Buy, shoot and enjoy.

·
Registered
517 Posts
As said, don't sweat the turn line. If it didn't have it when you bought it, it would have it the first time you fired a cylinder full. Shoot, practice and enjoy. Nice looking GP, bill2336!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts