Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things at my LGS continue to improve.
Went by today and found they had primers. Unfortunately, the price is going the wrong direct.

I would not buy CCI No 34 at $75, and I ain't a buyer at $115.00.

Attachments

Reactions: PaulWVa

·
Registered
250 Posts
You're lucky. My local Omaha LGS hasn't had metallic primers since Apr, 2020. Says they've been told not to expect any until this fall.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wonder who to blame for the primer prices today, who is making the huge profits? The factory, the distributor or the seller?

In the .22LR shortage around 2014 one local shop had stockpiled and never ran completely out while all others had none. But they tripled their prices and we all knew that we were getting ripped off. Malwart and others would infrequently get a shipment and still charge regular prices but it was rare that I could get any, the scalpers had the systems in place to grab it all.
I moved from that area but understand that that shop came close to going under after the shortage ended. Karma for taking advantage of his customers when things were tough.

So who is ripping us off today???

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I stopped at my LGS today and grabbed some 22 ammo. I got some subsonic for my Antique 22's. And a box of them CCI veloictor to try out. 4 bucks a box for the sub's and 8 bucks for the veloictor.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,108 Posts
I went to my LGS today to look for powder. No powder, no primers, no projectiles, no rimfire ammo...it's dismal. I bought a box of Sig CO2 for airguns that was 25% off and left.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Get used to it.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,012 Posts
Gulp. Fuggitaboutit. My LGS said they expect primers from Federal and CCI in July, at the earliest.

Winchester? 2022.

Reluctantly, and weighing each charge, I now reload .45 acp for a good friend who shoots with me. He pays for the rounds @ $30/100 and will start hunting components for the next batch. Told him not to pay more than $60 for a brick of primers. We can wait it out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
😲 My last primer purchase (early 2020) I was able to buy Federal Small Pistol / Standard locally at $169.00 for 5000 primers. ... I bought 10. Glad I bought when I did ... todays prices are unbelievable. I have enough powder and bullets to at least shoot my .38/.357 guns for awhile.

·
Registered
98 Posts
But they tripled their prices and we all knew that we were getting ripped off. Malwart and others would infrequently get a shipment and still charge regular prices but it was rare that I could get any, the scalpers had the systems in place to grab it all.
I used to have this argument with my brother all the time. My view is that it's the property owner's right to charge whatever they want for their property. The result is, if they float prices up when there's a shortage, or disaster, or some such situation, is that people who really need it can get it, and the higher price discourages hoarding. I'm happy to pay whatever they want if it's unavailable anywhere else; or, I will choose to live without it. It's not a rip off if you are paying the price willingly. Surge pricing. Better than government price controls or anti-gouging laws and regulations.

Regarding Wal Mart, yes, I think people who work there are probably siponing-off the in-demand stuff. Oh, well. Get a job at Wal Mart! :)

I recommend stocking up when quantities are plentiful and prices are low. I did. The only shortages I'm experiencing are for things I wasn't interested in until now. But, I have some good stuff to trade for it, if I really must.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So, a woman is shopping on Main St., and sees a sign on a butcher shop for pork chops at $1.89/lb. Gleefully going inside, she's disappointed to learn they are sold out. Across the street there's another pork store. When she goes in and inquires about pork chops she's told they are $3.49/lb. "But across the street they are only $1.89!" "So, go get them there." "They are all out." "Yea, lady, when I'm all out, mine are $1.89, too!"

·
Registered
685 Posts
Screw that. Those prices are nuts.

I have a long way to go before I even get to my last 1k box of each kind of primers I use, but if prices are still that high... years from now... I'll just stop and keep a 1k box of each as reserve.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The great thing is no one is forcing anyone to pay inflated prices. If you need some widgets that were priced at $39.95 a box but currently priced at $159.95 a box you either value your paper currency too much and hold on to it or value the box of widgets more and give up your 💰💰💰

·
Registered
172 Posts
After the last craziness in 2013, I swore I wouldn’t be caught short on supplies again. Those who complain about prices weren’t prepared. I don’t understand why anyone didn’t see this coming....

·
Registered
183 Posts
After the last craziness in 2013, I swore I wouldn’t be caught short on supplies again. Those who complain about prices weren’t prepared. I don’t understand why anyone didn’t see this coming....
I'm sure that most of us saw this coming, and most of us prepared as best we could, as much as income and other, more pressing financial obligations would permit.

I'm sittin' pretty, not exactly supermodel-class, but I still complain about availability and prices. Why? I do okay but I don't make a ton of money. I like to shoot and reload, but eventually I'll burn through my supplies and I might not be able to replenish them at a price I can afford.

Scalpers are opportunists just like anybody else. If a scalper can buy a box of ammo for $20 and sell it for $50, good on him, but I do have a problem with them buying up everything all the time and driving the prices up beyond reasonable markups for inflation.

I swear man, trying to get powder and primers these days is like trying to get Jimmy Buffet tickets to a sold out show - you can get them, but you're gonna pay!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're lucky. My local Omaha LGS hasn't had metallic primers since Apr, 2020. Says they've been told not to expect any until this fall.
I disagree, not lucky.
To me, primers at a price that I'm unwilling to pay is the same as them not having any.
I'm not getting primers either way.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts