Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
After the last craziness in 2013, I swore I wouldn’t be caught short on supplies again. Those who complain about prices weren’t prepared. I don’t understand why anyone didn’t see this coming....
To be clear, my post is mostly informational and not really a complaint.

I was hoping to see prices coming down, as things become available, but they are headed up.
I take this as a bad sign and an indication that things may not be getting better (or more normal) in the short term.

I also stocked up years ago, so,
I am unwilling to pay these prices because I have primers, powder and projectiles.
Eventually, I will have to buy if I want to continue to reload. But not today. :giggle:

Reactions: 303 hunter

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
At least they're there. That's a good start.
This is like the 3rd time I have seen primers here since January.
Each time, the price has increased, so, I'm not sure how good of a sign that is.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Things at my LGS continue to improve.
Went by today and found they had primers. Unfortunately, the price is going the wrong direct.

I would not buy CCI No 34 at $75, and I ain't a buyer at $115.00.

View attachment 155769
Sit tight and keep your eye open ...when things don't sell ...they start costing him money ...the longer those primers sit there the less money he's making ...
Stand your ground ...when something doesn't sell ...the price comes down ...still slow sales ...the price drops again and the store has a big summer SALE !!!!
Then ...BUY EM !!!
I've been through this 5 times now...just sit tight and wait .

Oh ...Let me warn all of you out there ...this will happen again ...
just about next election year ... trust me !
Gary

·
Banned
57 Posts
Demand pushed up for a year.
Supply pushed down for a year.
Simple result.
Just sittin’ here watchin’ the wheels go ‘round and ’round.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
I spend about $1,500 - 2k/mo in loading supplies, probably close to that on guns each month and I’d never pay that either. If I had seen that in a shop, which I have, it would also be the last time I visited that shop. There are guys like me out there that’ll make all the difference in the world when the market goes back to normal. Gouging me once for a handful of primers would likely cost $10k or more in business over the course of a couple short years. My brother is the same way with nearly the same budget. We have walked out of several shops in the past 15 months with no desire to ever return. Those that we do frequent are grateful for the greed of others.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I'll have to swing by my LGS and peruse their offerings.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Right now, I'm avoiding the LGS for ammo and supplies, pretty much sticking to things I can find online and then negotiate a good price.
The deals are out there...one just had to keep an eye out and know when to pull the trigger (no pun intended) and when to let it go!
I'm guessing things'll calm down a bit at some point, but probably not this summer... :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hope they choke on them! I would never enter their shop again! Price gougers!
I prefer "surge pricing" to "price gouging." I think it's a good thing. Because he's raised his prices to this level, you can actually get primers. The retailers who held prices don't have any primers to sell you, and they may well have been cleaned out by hoarders; so the primers that should be sitting on the store shelf are now sitting in someone's basement, unused and unavailable.

If you really need them or really want them, you can get them! You just have to pay.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good luck at the show. I did the first one in the Denver area in 15 months last weekend. There were no deals on anything. Powder in 8 pound kegs was $40 to over $100 a pound. Varget was $850 for 8 pounds. Primers were $200 a thousand and selling. People were way over paying for ammo and firearms.

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
When the next election cycle hits and the dum0craps are voted out they will lower the prices somewhat. Don't know that we will ever see 30 bucks a brick for primers again but the markup reflects the demand. When they price themselves completely out of reach and no one can afford them.........

·
Registered
185 Posts
When the next election cycle hits and the dum0craps are voted out they will lower the prices somewhat. Don't know that we will ever see 30 bucks a brick for primers again but the markup reflects the demand. When they price themselves completely out of reach and no one can afford them.........
It will pull back when supply and demand balance. But add back Covid Joe's inflation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After all the years of shooting I decided to buy reloading equipment. Of course now the Powder, bullets, and primers are expensive. I am patient, I can wait.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sit tight and keep your eye open ...when things don't sell ...they start costing him money ...the longer those primers sit there the less money he's making ...
Stand your ground ...when something doesn't sell ...the price comes down ...still slow sales ...the price drops again and the store has a big summer SALE !!!!
Then ...BUY EM !!!
I've been through this 5 times now...just sit tight and wait .

Oh ...Let me warn all of you out there ...this will happen again ...
just about next election year ... trust me !
Gary
We must be about the same age. I learned my lesson years ago.
Been through this several times myself and one of the reasons I'm not paying these prices is I have a stockpile of ammo and reloading supplies.
I'm just an observer at this point. :)

This LGS is not known for gouging. Their prices are usually reasonable, comparable to online pricing and nothing else in the store seems excessively priced. So, I don't think that is what is going on here.

I saw people buying the primers at this price.

I have not been by in a while, so I may try to cruise by today and see how the land lies.

Reactions: gwpercle

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not to hi jack the thread, but had to laugh...I just got finished listening to Johnny Dollar (The Red Rock Matter) on my phone with the Sirius XM app.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
We must be about the same age. I learned my lesson years ago.
Been through this several times myself and one of the reasons I'm not paying these prices is I have a stockpile of ammo and reloading supplies.
I'm just an observer at this point. :)

This LGS is not known for gouging. Their prices are usually reasonable, comparable to online pricing and nothing else in the store seems excessively priced. So, I don't think that is what is going on here.

I saw people buying the primers at this price.

I have not been by in a while, so I may try to cruise by today and see how the land lies.
If the LGS is normally reasonable and they are not charging high prices for other stuff they just might be paying too much for hard to get stock in order to have something on hand for their customers (and hopefully keep them from going elsewhere). They can't sell for less than they payed (at least not for very long) and stay in business so the cost has to be passed on to the consumer.
I believe in general that this shortage has proven to be as tough for the small shops to endure as it has to us as shooters. We have the option to go fishing for a few months while they are trying to keep the business alive. I have probably paid (a little bit) too much for some rimfire ammo at my LGS over the past year but will be happy if that contributed to them still being in business after things return to whatever the new 'normal' will be.

Bruce

21 - 40 of 47 Posts