Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought my first Mini, a standard .22 long rifle, in the early 1980s. While a quality, nicely made revolver, it was just too small for me to manipulate the single action. My son now owns it along with the factory belt buckle as a novelty.

So I bought the slightly larger .22 magnum version. Again, nice gun, but a bit of a mule to shoot. Carried it for a little while before “graduating” to an LCP. It has been a safe princess ever since.

I still followed NA’s product expansion over the years and was intrigued by the addition of the Sidewinder (side ejection) model, especially when my brother bought one several years ago.

But am glad I waited to acquire their newest innovation, the NAA Ranger II top break .22 magnum. It is like a really neat little piece of cool jewelry to me. I just like the excellent workmanship and design. It won’t get carried much, if at all, but will certainly be fun to fondle and occasionally shoot for the kicks.
Any other NAA aficionados here?
Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I've been interested in a NAA but every time I handle one I get the novelty but know it is not a good carry gun, maybe a range toy but one that will be hard to shoot and even more tedious to load and unload. Saw a top break but it still only fell into a range toy category for me. They do have excellent craftsmanship.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bought one a couple of years ago In the “ moment “. Never shot it. Sold it this year to a friend who couldn’t find anything from them anywhere. I guess I never shot it as every time the cylinder needed to be removed to be cleared and reloaded. It’s a neat little piece, but paying for range time, it could get old quick. It does have a certain draw to its looks thoo_O

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,849 Posts
I would like that new top break. I remember one of the older short barrel .22WMR models bringing tears to my eyes. It jumped back under recoil so hard the back of the cylinder smacked the tip of my thumb. I decided I needed something to hold onto. Little guns hurt!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like that new top break. I remember one of the older short barrel .22WMR models bringing tears to my eyes. It jumped back under recoil so hard the back of the cylinder smacked the tip of my thumb. I decided I needed something to hold onto. Little guns hurt!
Yes they do.
That’s why I’ll put these boot grips on it whenever I take it to the family property for plinking. They make it easier to hold just like they do on my standard Mini.
I wouldn’t waste range time shooting it.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Revolver Wood

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am the opposite of a NAA aficionado. I say that while owning two. I like the idea of the tiny revolver. Something that is better than nothing and you can place in a pocket at home, on a run, or walking the dogs in gym shorts. I managed to track down a Sidewinder for those very reasons. Here is where I lost my interest in NAA.

When I took my slightly used wheel gun to the range it was garbage. Nearly every round fired caused the cylinder to pop open. This was using a couple of different ammo brands. I contacted NAA. They were not all that easy to work with regarding the return even after telling me that the barrel would need to be replaced.

Eventually I did send it back and it took about six weeks for them to return. When I called in about it in the interim I was told that this was not an uncommon issue for the sidewinder. That was when I asked to exchange that revolver for a Pug. At first I was informed that this was fine, then I got my sidewinder back.There was a note that said no exchanges were possible.

I called back to ask about the repairs since the only paperwork for this described a new barrel. This time they went from sounding cold to being rude. I was eventually informed that the the gun was rebuilt but there was no change in the design that resulted in the original malfunctioning. I was told that a loose barrel is the origin.

So now I have a revolver that works, but I do not trust. From a company that I don't care to do business with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a .380 Guardian. I have shot it about 300 times and it runs good. I bought mine around a year or so after they started making them. At that time there were not too many .380s being made in that size range. If I were going to buy a .380 today, I probably would look elsewhere.

YMMV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts