Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I saw in an old post by Sheepdog, a mention of the old Savage/Fox/Stevens double barrel shotguns. Had a Stevens 311 once and a Fox BSE. Saw that Stevens is importing an over/under that puts me in mind of the old BSE side-by-side. Walnut stock, single selective trigger and ejectors. Bass Pro in Olathe has these on sale for $499...not bad for what it is.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_shotgun.htm

·
Registered
880 Posts
"New life" fer' an old name, and in a neat way! Understand these SG's aren't bad lookin' and handle fairly well. Glad to know that they're finally available and apparently in some quantity.

I still use some of the Savage-Stevens-Fox stuff...and regularly. My most frequently used birdgun is a 16 GA Stevens 311-A, 'bout 50 years old n' going strong!

Might hafta' look at one of th' new ones in 20 GA, tho'.....

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an old 311 that I bought used for 50 bucks, probably about 40 years ago. It didn't look like much, but it was my all-time best quail and pheasant gun. I liked it so well, I traded it on the Fox BSE 'cause it was purtier'. I never could shoot it as good as that old ratty looking 311.:(

·
Registered
880 Posts
rman...

I understand completely!

In th' late 60's, I had a "plain-jane" 20GA 870. I had read Askin's book on shotguns, if I remember correctly, wherein Askins wrote something about the ideal SG havin' about a 23-24" bbl, etc., so I decided to "customize" the 870. Took it the best there was in those days...at least in the Houston area...a gentleman named Les Freer, who cut the barrel and installed a Lyman choke with interchangeable tubes, leaving a finished bbl. length of 23-1/2", and put a thin rubber recoil/butt pad on it. The thing was amazing in the field...used th' heck outta' the thing..wore some blue off, had blood spots on it, all that sorta stuff. Doves, ducks, rabbits, whatever. WICKED little shotgun.

But...I decided that, since I, the operator, was so darned GOOD with the 870, and rarely ever missed ( or so it seemed!), THAT someone as good as I was just naturally should move up in th' shotgun world.

So...one evening in, I think, 1971...I decided to do something about that situation.

Packed up th' 870, took it to the local Oshmans store and traded it in on a brand-new Charles Daly O/U...got $70.00 fer' th' trade in! Took the new Daly home, cleaned 'er up n' got ready for an early duck hunt the next day.

Mornin' came, we went, th' Daly shot and...I hit NOTHING, NADA, ZIP!!!

Just SLIGHTLY irritated and BIG-TIME feelin' like th' fool, 'bout mid-morning I started back to th' big city, got home, oiled th' Daly, and drove back to Oshmans to buy back MY gun. Well...yeah...you guessed it...sold that morning fer' $75.00!!! I've NEVER forgotten that!!!

Moral...if it works well for ya'...KEEP IT!!! Something about th' grass is always greener?....

·
Registered
842 Posts
I had one of the Fox model B doubles but like a fool I let it get away. Although I like the side by side doubles it's been pump guns since.
Jody, I talked to you before about the 870. I quit hunting for a few years once and let my Dad have my 12 ga. Got interested again right before dove season one year and found a 16 that had been sawed off by the owner. Paid $75 for it and sent the barrel and had a Polychoke put on it making a barrel length of 21 1/2". Been my house and hunting gun for about 20 yrs now. Fairly lightweight and right handy for rabbits, squirrel and dove and would probably be OK for decoyed ducks. Don't hunt much now due a gimpy leg but it makes a nice home defense gun and will go to one of my grandsons some day.
Baker

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have the 311A, from an uncle of mine, maybe was my grandfather's.

I started shooting trap with it about 10 years ago, and taught some nephews with it. My wife started with my Remington 870 until we transitioned into over/unders.

My info says they were made about 1926-1945, and Savage bought J Stevens in 1920.

Had a good kick to it. I still pull it out every once in awhile.

Dana

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's a nice looking over/under. I wonder how it shoots. I have a Fox BSE that belonged to my dad, and it still shoot fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts