Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
My husband was given a Winchester Model 190 (B170XXX) the gun is in overall good shape, other than the butt stock is just a little loose.
We took the plate off and looked and it appears that whoever had it, at one time tried to tighten it and or remove it and rounded the nut off!
I am wondering if any of you guys happen to know what size that nut may be, and can we take it off using one of those special sockets that Craftsman has for damaged Nuts and Bolts? OR would we be better off to take it to our gunsmith?
The stock is in good shape, it just needed some TLC, and I'd hate to have to try to replace it. (IF we can get it off) We'd just like to tighten it up, it is just going to be a plinker.
We've shot it with Penetrating oil, but can't get a socket to grab it and was thinking of getting one of those sets from Craftsman, and trying that!
ANY ADVICE would be greatly apreciated!:confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately....

It's down deep into the stock.
I've tried to get pics, but it won't show that far down into the stock.:mad:
We tried the longest ratchet extention we had, and it goes over half way down into it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
By the time you buy the tools to remove it, you will still need to get a replacement part. You may come out cheaper taking it to a gunsmith.

In my case, I would probably let something slip and messing the stock up costing even more.

Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
sometimes trying a metric socket that is close to its size and a little tap to go over the nut.

Worth a try.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
sometimes trying a metric socket that is close to its size and a little tap to go over the nut.

Worth a try.
This.

Get yourself a cheap metric set from somewhere and tap it over the nut so it's sort of stuck on there (I say a cheap set because once it's stuck on there, you probably won't get it off and you'll ruin the socket).

If it were me, I wouldn't tighten it. I'd definitely bring it out if you can and figure out what size nut you need to replace it. You can do this by taking it to Lowes or a hardware store and finding a bolt that fits it. You definitely don't want that thing down in there so try and get it out if you can.

Slap some blue thread locker on that thing and tighten it back down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts