Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up at the range tonight. (Taurus PT1911)


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,579 Posts
Well, I have been seriously considering buying one of those. Let us know how you like it. Supposed to be a dang good gun for the money, from what I have read. But, I have not even seen one yet. Went to see Robbie Latham back in the summer and the Taurus rep was there with all kinds of Taurus guns but he did not have one of those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by white dog

Nice rman, now how many auto's do you have?
8 centerfires and 1 Mark II .22 (Too many)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to the range last night to try out the KP93D, but stumbled onto this Taurus. That is one of the guns that I promised myself I would buy as soon as I found one. About the only bad thing I've heard about them is that the finish on the blued ones like this doesn't hold up very well. I guess time will tell on that. I had a box of Remington 230 Gr ball in the trunk so I tried it out. It's been a long time since I've owned and shot a 1911 and I had forgotten how slim they are. This one is a little heavier than any of my Rugers, but it is full-sized (5" barrel) I thought these had alloy frames, but it seems pretty heavy. The manual says it weighs 41 oz so I suspect it's steel. The action is very smooth, the sights are fantastic and so is the trigger. I don't have a trigger gauge, but I'm guessing it is somewhere around 3.5 pounds with no creep or over-travel. When I dry fired it, the hammer fall seemed awfully light and shooting it proved that to be true. Out of 50 rounds, I had 2 failures to fire - very slight dent in the primer. It might be because I violated my standing rule. I shot it new out of the box without field stripping it and giving it a good cleaning. I'll try that next and if it doesn't work, I'll replace the main spring. It's no big deal. Overall, my first impression is that it is a great value for the money.

Here is a pic of 25 rounds at 7 yards.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
I think I just got cured-won't be any more problems like yesterday at the Coffee Shop-WHAT A NICE GROUP!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

I think I just got cured-won't be any more problems like yesterday at the Coffee Shop-WHAT A NICE GROUP!!!!!
Thanks - these tired old eyes don't see good enough to do too well at longer distances. I shot another nice 25 round group at 10 yards but of course it wasn't as tight as this one. (Glad to hear your syndrome is getting better!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
I think you made a good buy there Rman. Guy down at the range took his to a gunsmith, and had it checked over for future mods as he shoots a lot of matches. Smith put it back together, and told him to go for it. Said it be awhile before your going to need anything. He rated it as good as any Milspec or .45 for under a $1000. He did say the finish wasn't that great, but this is going to be a range gun so who cares.
I held one at a show, and it felt good, and was as tight as anything else on the table. Good luck with her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by Baldy

I think you made a good buy there Rman. Guy down at the range took his to a gunsmith, and had it checked over for future mods as he shoots a lot of matches. Smith put it back together, and told him to go for it. Said it be awhile before your going to need anything. He rated it as good as any Milspec or .45 for under a $1000. He did say the finish wasn't that great, but this is going to be a range gun so who cares.
I held one at a show, and it felt good, and was as tight as anything else on the table. Good luck with her.
Thanks! I hate to say it (Since I'm a Ruger fanatic), but I really do like this thing. I haven't shot a 1911 for a long time and forgot just how great they are. The guy who runs the range said he put one of these away for himself. He has a Kimber and says the Taurus's action is as smooth as his Kimber, it's just as tight and has a better trigger. I'm not the biggest Taurus fan in the world, but I had a stainless PT92 9mm once and it was a nice gun. They have a lifetime warranty on everything but the grips, sights and magazines. If they are good to their word, I don't think a guy can go too wrong. I know the trigger has got me spoiled. Looks like I'm going to have to start reloading again. With 4 45's to shoot, things could start to get expensive!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
My brother called this morning from WallyWorld in Ft. Worth-CCI Brass ammo-FMJ bullet -.40 155 gr. 50 for 7.xx-----,45 don't know the weight 50 for 9.xx-------------that's pretty cheap these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

My brother called this morning from WallyWorld in Ft. Worth-CCI Brass ammo-FMJ bullet -.40 155 gr. 50 for 7.xx-----,45 don't know the weight 50 for 9.xx-------------that's pretty cheap these days.
That is cheap - I'd take a case of both at that price! Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Tom, Thats a nice lookin' gun and if it shoots worth a hoot, ya can't beat that with a stick!:)

I know alot of people look down their noses at Taurus, but as was mentioned they have a life time warranty on their stuff. So, at least they stand behind their product.

My Taurus is a PT-100, .40 S&W, stainless. The only problem I had was shooting cast lead bullet loads. Factory ammo worked fine. The problem was a rough feedramp. I cured the problem with my cast lead loads with a Dremel tool chucked with a stainless steel wire brush and polished the heck out of the feed ramp. Never had another problem and it eats everything I've fed it to this day.

Keep us posted on it. I might even spring for one. Have been considering a Springfield Champion (Colt Commander size) .45 as a CCW piece for when I get my permit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:Originally posted by Ruger Packer

Tom, Thats a nice lookin' gun and if it shoots worth a hoot, ya can't beat that with a stick!:)

I know alot of people look down their noses at Taurus, but as was mentioned they have a life time warranty on their stuff. So, at least they stand behind their product.

My Taurus is a PT-100, .40 S&W, stainless. The only problem I had was shooting cast lead bullet loads. Factory ammo worked fine. The problem was a rough feedramp. I cured the problem with my cast lead loads with a Dremel tool chucked with a stainless steel wire brush and polished the heck out of the feed ramp. Never had another problem and it eats everything I've fed it to this day.

Keep us posted on it. I might even spring for one. Have been considering a Springfield Champion (Colt Commander size) .45 as a CCW piece for when I get my permit.
Thanks. It has a lot of positive things going for it.
1. Beavertail grip safety with a memory bump.
2. Front & back straps and bottom of the trigger guard are checkered.
3. Extended slide release.
4. Extended ambidextrous safty.
5. Heinie white dot sights front and rear. They are serrated to cut down on reflection and plenty of light shows on each side of the front sight (works good for these old eyes).
6. Ramp looks polished, slide/frame and barrel/bushing fit seems pretty tight.
7. Hammer is skeltonized for quicker lock time.
8. Trigger (on mine at least) is light and crisp with no over-travel. It's adjustable for over-travel.
9. Slide serrations are coarse (not pretty) but afford a good purchase.
10. Grips are plastic, but sharply checkered so they aren't slick.
11. The mazazine opening is beveled.
12. The ejection port is lowered and beveled.
13. Magazines have a bumper pad on the bottom. (Wilsons will fit)

The feed ramp looks good on this one. I've got to get my old reloading stuff set up so I can try some lead semi-wadcutters in it. I'm getting lazy in my old age. I got all the stuff down out of the attic a couple of months ago, but I haven't set it up on the bench yet. (Haven't loaded for about 20 years.) I guess it will be about like starting over again.

I'm not sure when it will happen, but they are supposed to be making this same gun in a Commander size model. They are way behind on producing these, so it may be a while.
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

My brother called this morning from WallyWorld in Ft. Worth-CCI Brass ammo-FMJ bullet -.40 155 gr. 50 for 7.xx-----,45 don't know the weight 50 for 9.xx-------------that's pretty cheap these days.
Thanks for the tip Sheepdog. Went to Wally World here and they didn't have any .40 cal. Bought all the .45's they had - 5 boxes. That will keep me going for a couple of range sessions.
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,241 Posts
When your nose isn't to far up in the air, you can save a lot of money and have some of the finest things in life. Wealth can be as close as the dirt under our feet.
peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! (Once in a while I get lucky:D)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,758 Posts
From one Taurus PT1911 owner to another, congratulations on a fantastic purchase! :D The only change I'm going to make to mine is to swap out the plastic factory grips for a set of Hogues I've decided to go with. I'm now just awaiting their arrival.

:D :D :) :)[:eek:)]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Taurus is always better than a Berretta ! I have a buddy who works for the police department in the cage. He says the Taurus is a very well built gun. He says out of all of the weapons he fixes and tunes working at the police range, Glock and Taurus are the ones he has the least amount of problems with. I guess the Berretta's have a huge problem with breaking their retaining pins and launching the slide down range and planting it like a grave marker in the ground ! I will stay away from the Berretta's. I own way to many Glocks to mention and also own one a couple Taurus semi's. I love them and have never had a problem ounce with the Taurus's. Good buy !
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top