Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a Ruger, but just picked up a couple old shot guns. I'm planning on doing some trap shooting in the spring. I bought a 2007 Remington 870 NITB a few weeks ago for a real good price. Then when I went to the range the other day to watch some fellows shooting, decided that maybe the 870 wasn't for me. I had a Remng 1100 Magnum I bought on the very early 70s and sold it about 10 years ago because I quit hunting. Anyways I picked up a 82 1100 Magnum with very little wear and a Browning BT-99 with a 34 " barrel. I have a 30" Trap barrel for the 1100. Don't know which one I'll end up shooting, but I've always like the 1100 I had before. Both guns are in excellent condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Your 870 and 1100 are a field/waterfowl gun so the stock dimensions aren't ideal for trap. You should do better with the BT99 assuming you don't shoot trap doubles.

If you are a shot shell reloader, the BB99 will be far better for keeping the fired hulls.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your 870 and 1100 are a field/waterfowl gun so the stock dimensions aren't ideal for trap. You should do better with the BT99 assuming you don't shoot trap doubles.

If you are a shot shell reloader, the BB99 will be far better for keeping the fired hulls.
Not going to be reloading, and the BT99 has an ejector. It actually flings the shells farther than the 1100. The 1100 has a trap barrel on it and it flings the shells down by my feet. I changed the butt plate on the BT99 but my 1100 shoulders better for me. I did lots of bird hunting in my younger days with a 1100. Got lots of Quail and Pheasants with it. Will have to see which one is better when it warms up a bit, right now it's 24 and snowing.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
A lot of trapshooters have done very well with the Remington 1100. It really shines in soaking up recoil and can be used for doubles as well. I personally enjoyed shooting the BT-99 more than my 1100. I enjoyed trapshooting for a lot of years and then drifted away from it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I shot a good bit of trap, skeet, and sporting clays over the years with an 870. I always dreamed of a Citori, but when I got one I couldn't hit crud with it. Its not so much the type of gun you shoot but what fits YOU best and you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
...the BT99 has an ejector. It actually flings the shells farther than the 1100.
All you do is hold your thumb over the chamber as you break the gun to reload. You trap the empty and it does not get tossed anywhere.

I shot skeet with a Citori and trap with a BT99 for years. Both had ejectors and I never let a hull hit the ground.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've got a BT99, and I can't see any reason for ejectors on it, as it doesn't even have a safety, it was designed for trap at different ranges, in which they refer to as "handicap" usually starting at the 16 yard on out to the 25 yard line. BTW my BT99 has an adjustable cheek piece cut into the wood with little allen screws to adjust the height of the comb just right for individual shooters. Never heard of ejectors being standard on a BT99, as the gun is safe when opened up, and obviously won't fire until closed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts