Ruger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree. A few years back I was on my nightly walk with my dog. At first my young daughter had started but changed her mind. After dropping off my daughter at my parents (across the street) my dog and I once again went on our walk. We were a few houses away from our house and I noticed that the neighbor had there dog loose again. That dog was a very large German Shepard and was growling from the shadows across the street. The dog was following us so I decided that it was best if we just went back home to avoid trouble. When we turned around and began home the dog crossed the street and advanced towards us. The faster we walked the faster the dog approached. When we got to our yard it was growling and ran towards me and my dog that was in leash. I drew my pistol and fired. My dog pulled at that moment the shot missed. However the German Shepard was close enough to get burned by my muzzle flash. That was enough to dissuade it from attacking and it retreated back. My dog and I were able to get inside and I called 911 for animal control and to let the police know that I had discharged my weapon. When the police arrived the officer decided to interrogate me and admonished me for protecting myself! He then went to the owners of the German Shepard to make sure that their dog was ok. I was given a notice to go to court and learned that the dog’s owners let their dog roam at night. They were ordered to cease allowing that dog out. To this day I still get angry that I was admonished for protecting myself. I held a CCW permit and too was in the LE community. My agency had no problem with my decision only that officer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many police administrations are very anti-CCW. Research the IACP’s position on LEOSA when it came into existence as HB 218.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Many police administrations are very anti-CCW. Research the IACP’s position on LEOSA when it came into existence as HB 218.
The Police Chief’s association has been “captured” by leftist progressives and doesn’t even accurately reflect the opinions of most urban police chiefs. However, the chiefs in bigger cities tend to be very politically connected and are often more in tune with their mayors and city councils than they are with the people in their city.

Even in my area, there is a vast difference between the Portland Police Bureau’s attitude toward concealed carry (generally hostile) and that of the “collar communities” (cities bordering Portland).

Jim

·
Registered
319 Posts
@HDMotorcop. Man, you've been on the job for a long time! I hear ya; things have changed. I worked for NY in EnCon and enforced hazardous waste regulations. Started out dedicated and ended up not so much. After a few years of getting companies in compliance with the regs and as violations were reduced rather than say "Great job for getting companies in compliance" they said "you mustn't be doing as good a job because you're not citing as many violations". It was all about the revenue. Don't tell me there are no quotas, we both know different. Unless we're talking major crimes, everything else is about making revenue for the State. I retired at 30 yr as soon as I hit 55. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Can you imagine the State's panic if every driver suddenly started driving exactly at the speed limit? They wouldn't be happy with the "safer" roads because it's not about safety, it about the $$$$$$.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@HDMotorcop. Man, you've been on the job for a long time! I hear ya; things have changed. I worked for NY in EnCon and enforced hazardous waste regulations. Started out dedicated and ended up not so much. After a few years of getting companies in compliance with the regs and as violations were reduced rather than say "Great job for getting companies in compliance" they said "you mustn't be doing as good a job because you're not citing as many violations". It was all about the revenue. Don't tell me there are no quotas, we both know different. Unless we're talking major crimes, everything else is about making revenue for the State. I retired at 30 yr as soon as I hit 55. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Can you imagine the State's panic if every driver suddenly started driving exactly at the speed limit? They wouldn't be happy with the "safer" roads because it's not about safety, it about the $$$$$$.

You are soooo right! So much about revenue. The State would sh$t and FUAC would raise taxes again.....wait he'd do anyhow, just because!

Looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel! Then hopefully GTFO of NY!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, well the big tell is when you get a moving violation and the local court lets you plead down to a parking violation. They try to make out they are doing you a favor (which they are but they don't care about me) when in fact it's because then they get to keep all of the fine and don't have to give the State a cut. Oh the games, and we are just pawns with pockets they want to pick.

·
Registered
203 Posts
They teach in LEO academies that it is them vs us. So many are afraid of and contemptious of ordinary Citizens and those who carry firearms
I have carried or had close by a weapon ever since Nam over 48 years ago. Before that I for whatever reason spent a great deal of time in the country at Grand Ma's. A single shot .22 Springfield rifle was my almost constant companion from the age of about 6.
They spout their training as do our Legislators and getting a carry permit.
This even though those particular Legislators don't own guns and think them capable of inspiring evil.
Our Jim Crow Laws did not allow for Carry Permits under any circumstances until 1990, I think. I went took the course even though the Good Lord sat on my shoulder and said not too. I never went back to even pick up the certificate let alone get the carry permit.
Why he said not too, I don't know.
I carried with knowledge of Sheriff all these years.
Don't talk about it, handle it, or show it off.
I'm thinking of getting my Carry Permit now but it violates my conscience my/our Rights guaranteed by our Bill of Rights our Constitution. don't think I will.
A lot of Neighbors were Reserve Officers over those year so the y could carry lawfully but then they made you go to the Academy. The reason, was to stop Reserve Officers.
So here we are now with Jim crow still in effect, requiring the payment of a high Poll Tax, shoot fifty rounds and take a course that should be titled yu must never use your gun or you will go to jail! An former Governor Haslam and Liberal Business Buddies made the situation such you cannot carry in many places and face jail of you do so unknowingly. He wants to be our next senator by the way. He promised us Constitutional Carry if we would vote for him. He lied!!!!
If a Leo ask for your gun I dunno,. Never happened around here.
In Maryland Relative was rearended. Cop asked where his gun was. You carry permit shows up when the photo plate reader contacts the Computer, or he calls it in.
He told him he could take his gun. Instead he told him to keep it locked i nthe glove compartment. A van does not have a trunk. So you get some Barney Fifes who want to play the superority game, to the point of obnoxious. Some Sataes require you to tell the when they come to your window. Why I don't know because they know already if you have a Carry Permit, now.
Just be cool and let the jerks be jerks and the honest real People do their job.
Stay our of NY, NJ, Mass, Conn, and ILL if you have a Carry Permit, or be sure your firearm is elsewhere.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think it varies by region. LEOs enforce the culture of the police commissioner who is appointed by the mayor who is elected by the people. I have lived in Michigan and Arizona where there is support for CCW and also in Illinois and LA where there is not. A CCW holder was hailed as a hero by police in Tonopah, AZ when he came to the rescue of a LEO under attack, shooting and killing the perp.

·
Registered
783 Posts
They are people, thus all over the map on any opinion, but with a special consideration from me that they wear a badge and uniform that easily identifies them to the criminals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I completely understand his concern for having me unarmed during the visit — he didn’t know me or anything about me. I respect him wanting to remain safe.
To recap.

You called the police for help because you did not feel safe, because you suspected someone had committed a crime against you.

Police arrived on your personal property and disarmed you, the injured party, because their #1 priority was to keep themselves safe from you, the innocent public who called them to help.

The officer then proceeded to berate you, on your own property, for exercising your rights, and would rather leave your firearm in a position where it could be easily stolen by any kid on a bike than have you, the legal owner and CCL-holder, possessing it.

This is something I have never understood. Your right to "remain safe" is as high as any LEO's. For any LEO to demand a person who has not established themselves as a threat to disarm themselves in their presence is, frankly, an insult. I'm not approaching the throne of a king, or entering the holiest of holies. Police are not walking talking Gun Free Zones!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Licensed concealed carry holders commit fewer crimes, both percentage and raw numbers, than LEOs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its sad to think LEOs are against it considering one day a sheep dog could be the one who saves your life. I am Deputy in my county, while I do live in NJ and your not allowed to carry unless Law Enforcement or some sort of firearms instructor or if you have good reason(ex boyfriend threatening you, while also filing a restraining order) I wish we were a will issue state.

·
Super Moderator
4,062 Posts
Licensed concealed carry holders commit fewer crimes, both percentage and raw numbers, than LEOs.

Interesting. I don't doubt you at all. Do you have any reference I could read for my own education about this?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Interesting. I don't doubt you at all. Do you have any reference I could read for my own education about this?
Google (or any search engine) tags dozens of articles and referances.
Can't find one that states the opposite, so choose your favorite.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Its sad to think LEOs are against it considering one day a sheep dog could be the one who saves your life. I am Deputy in my county, while I do live in NJ and your not allowed to carry unless Law Enforcement or some sort of firearms instructor or if you have good reason(ex boyfriend threatening you, while also filing a restraining order) I wish we were a will issue state.
You might want to double check that cuz while I lived there the only people getting permits where VERY wealthy and paying off the right people. Heck people are getting turned down for a simple permit to purchase a handgun for no good reason and after a multi-month waiting period. I have no doubt you could right a book about the corruption you've seen other LEO's involved in. But you won't because your career is more important than exposing corruption.

I don't know you personally, this is my now experience from years of living there and having family and friends as LEO's

Where I live now the LEO's are grateful civilians carry

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
To recap.

You called the police for help because you did not feel safe, because you suspected someone had committed a crime against you.

Police arrived on your personal property and disarmed you, the injured party, because their #1 priority was to keep themselves safe from you, the innocent public who called them to help.

The officer then proceeded to berate you, on your own property, for exercising your rights, and would rather leave your firearm in a position where it could be easily stolen by any kid on a bike than have you, the legal owner and CCL-holder, possessing it.

This is something I have never understood. Your right to "remain safe" is as high as any LEO's. For any LEO to demand a person who has not established themselves as a threat to disarm themselves in their presence is, frankly, an insult. I'm not approaching the throne of a king, or entering the holiest of holies. Police are not walking talking Gun Free Zones!
2 points.
The statement about the police wanting to "feel safe"; The police get a call to a scene. They did not take the call; when they arrive, they do not know who made the call; the first objective is to secure the area until everything gets figured out. From that perspective, I do not have a problem with a police officer disarming the victim in this instance.

On the other hand, the officer should not have offered an opinion about personal defense. His job is to enforce the law, not say if it makes sense. AND, the firearm should have been secured until things were sorted out.

Unfortunately, every police organization has the same problem that any large group has (including this forum). They are full of people and people are fallible regardless of the amount of training and education they receive. Mistakes were made, but disarming the victim was not one of them.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Many police in Nj are not progun. No legal civilian ccw possible in Nj. I know several towns where the police chief has said to the patrol officers if you have any doubt about legality arrest the person and let a judge decide.
I just moved out of NJ. I lived in the same house for 20 years. During that time I had one break in, . . . by a cop. I don't trust NJ cops to this day.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts