Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Model 98 Mauser at a gunshow one time with a Model 70 Wichester 300 WinMag barrel. How did they fit the Winchester barrel to the Model 98 action, the threads on the Winchester barrel are not even close?.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Critch, Not much of a problem at all. Cutting off the Win threads on a lathe and then re-cutting "Mauser" threads on the barrel and re-chambering for the .300 Win Mag cartridge. A "fair" amount of work for sure but it is done often. That's how it is usually done. Not sure about your gun show Mauser not being able to look at it myself.................Dick

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured something along those lines, but I wasn't sure, seems they went to an awful lot of trouble...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Critch, There was a theory/legend that prevailed after Winchester discontinued the "old" model 70 back in 1964. That it was the most accurate factory rifle ever made. Some of those rifles "were" very accurate in "certain" calibers and it was a fairly accurate rifle overall. The 60's and 70's saw a lot of "custom" rifles being built on the "solid" Mauser 98 action. I myself was into a lot of customizing during that period. There were plenty of good "new" barrels to be had from several firms but there was always that fella' who would show up with a Model 70 barreled action or barrel and want that "one" on his Mauser action expecting super accuracy with his "new" custom job. There are an awful lot of "variables" that go into making a rifle "accurate" which I won't go into here but it didn't always work out the way the customer thought it should! But it was "their" money. There are quite a few of these Win/Mauser rifles out there and occasionally one shows up at a Gun Show...........................Dick

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,417 Posts
Here's my gunsmith school gun. It's a Mauser 98 in 7x57 (Mauser FN barrel). This gun accounted for at least 15 different school projects back in the mid '70s. It's a tack driver and has taken a bunch of elk and deer. Back then you could buy a milsurp 7mm or 8mm Mauser 98 for under $50. These made great sportsters and have always been known for their very strong actions and accuracy. A modified safety lever, a Timminey trigger, and you have one of the finest actions in the world. At some point, people started getting carried away and installing different barrels, rechambering existing barrels, and dumping way more $$$ in them than you would spend on a top notch factory gun. I think I converted at least a dozen Mausers to sporters. Buy the time I got done, the customer was into them at least $300 ..... a new Winchester 70 or Remington 700 was about $200 back then.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's a nice looking project rifle Iowegan. I "see" a tall man's cheek piece on that rifle! It gives one a nice feeling to put a rifle together and then shoot a lot of game with it over the years....................Dick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts