Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When to the range monday and shot it for the first time.useing blazzer brass 115 gr. fmj. shot 100 rounds and had 3 FTE 1 partial eject and 4 that tried to load without the spent one ejecting and had it not lock the slide back after last round was fired 4 times.gun was field striped and oil before first shot since it was new.guy at the range said I may be limp wristing it,not sure about it since I shot 2 range pistols and 1 was their sr9c and a glock (not sure what model). Came home and field striped it and did a GOOD cleaning and oil,went back tonight and shot 150 thru it,had 2 FTE and 2 times the slide did not lock back after last round.I am new to guns and this is my first,have shot few before 1 being the sr9c and not 1 problem with any of them.anybody have any ideas what I (or the gun) may be doing wrong? did alot of reserch before buying it and now don't feel confident with it.It did get better the second trip to the range but still have that is gonna go bang or not thought in my mind when I pull the trigger.(not a god thought).
Any suggestions-tipps-do's or don't is highly welcomed .:confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
When to the range monday and shot it for the first time.useing blazzer brass 115 gr. fmj. shot 100 rounds and had 3 FTE 1 partial eject and 4 that tried to load without the spent one ejecting and had it not lock the slide back after last round was fired 4 times.gun was field striped and oil before first shot since it was new.guy at the range said I may be limp wristing it,not sure about it since I shot 2 range pistols and 1 was their sr9c and a glock (not sure what model). Came home and field striped it and did a GOOD cleaning and oil,went back tonight and shot 150 thru it,had 2 FTE and 2 times the slide did not lock back after last round.I am new to guns and this is my first,have shot few before 1 being the sr9c and not 1 problem with any of them.anybody have any ideas what I (or the gun) may be doing wrong? did alot of reserch before buying it and now don't feel confident with it.It did get better the second trip to the range but still have that is gonna go bang or not thought in my mind when I pull the trigger.(not a god thought).
Any suggestions-tipps-do's or don't is highly welcomed .:confused:
try different ammo federal 115gr works well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wing Rider, I'm certainly no expert, since I have only been a gun owner for a few months. But I have shot 300 rounds through my SR9c and have had no glitches at all. I have used Independence, Federal Personal Defense, and Lawman ammo. I would take loudmofo's advice and try some different ammo before becoming too concerned. You may just have a bad lot or something.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Wingrider the SR9c's have a reputation for being a little tight when new. Part of the reason is the heavy recoil springs.

If problems continues after you've passed 300 rounds then worry about it. Probably just needs to wear in a little. Some guns need a break in, and the SR9c is one of them.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. I've had no such issues with my SR9c. I've been shooting mostly Wolf 115 gr, and some Blazer 115 gr. aluminum casings. I would hang in there with it for another couple hundred rounds (trying different ammo brands), and then contact Ruger if it hasn't come out of it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Take a good look at the guide rod assembly. You may see some wear on the cylinder under the large spring. Put a little oil on the spring, you don't want it dripping wet but enough to reduce drag on that cylinder. Also be sure the metal plate is seated in the groove on the barrel lug.
I replaced the stock guide rod with one from Galloway. Theirs is all steel and appears to have better springs. The original has a plastic rod and mine would bind when reinstalling.
Another thing that will give those springs a good work out is to put some +P ammunition through it. Hope you get it solved the SR9c is a great gun.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I'd bet it's just tight and you (unconsciously) are allowing your wrist, elbow or arm take up some of the recoil. The SR series have very stout recoil springs (that's why they are hard to rack but have such soft recoil). If you don't hold it really firm, it will do all the fail to feed, etc. that you mentioned.

The fact that you were able to shoot other pistols without problems is not the issue. The recoil mechanics of each pistol is different, the grip you use on one may not work on another.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If it were me the first thing I'd do would be to try some different ammo before I got too upset. Then, if that didn't solve the problem I'd ask one of my friends to run a few mags down range with it. If the problem continues I'd be calling Ruger ... they'll take care of you all the way.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd bet it's just tight and you (unconsciously) are allowing your wrist, elbow or arm take up some of the recoil. The SR series have very stout recoil springs (that's why they are hard to rack but have such soft recoil). If you don't hold it really firm, it will do all the fail to feed, etc. that you mentioned.

The fact that you were able to shoot other pistols without problems is not the issue. The recoil mechanics of each pistol is different, the grip you use on one may not work on another.
I have to tell you that I went to the range today with my SR9c and for 200 rounds I tried everything I could think of to create a limp wrist failure. I shot with my arm out to my side with my wrist bent at a 90 degree angle, nothing. I held the grip low as I could and still reach the trigger to fire, nothing. I even fired it upside down with my pinky, nothing. I could not hold it any looser without dropping the gun when it fired. I also tried holding it as locked armed and tight as I could, nothing.

Maybe I'm just lucky and got a really good gun. I'd like to think not. I've run 1200 rounds through my SR9c without a failure. Trust me I'm not complaining. I have done all of the Gallaway upgrades and polished the feed ramp, but if limp wrist was real none of this should matter.

Is limp wristing real or is it just an issue of the parts having to wear in and until it happens, the extra contact throws off the guns timing?

What I did find out is that my Crimson Trace laser works great. I had great groupings without using the sights. It was simple point and shoot. My confidence in shooting under crisis is very high using this laser.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I have to tell you that I went to the range today with my SR9c and for 200 rounds I tried everything I could think of to create a limp wrist failure. I shot with my arm out to my side with my wrist bent at a 90 degree angle, nothing. I held the grip low as I could and still reach the trigger to fire, nothing. I even fired it upside down with my pinky, nothing. I could not hold it any looser without dropping the gun when it fired. I also tried holding it as locked armed and tight as I could, nothing.

Maybe I'm just lucky and got a really good gun. I'd like to think not. I've run 1200 rounds through my SR9c without a failure. Trust me I'm not complaining. I have done all of the Gallaway upgrades and polished the feed ramp, but if limp wrist was real none of this should matter.

Is limp wristing real or is it just an issue of the parts having to wear in and until it happens, the extra contact throws off the guns timing?

What I did find out is that my Crimson Trace laser works great. I had great groupings without using the sights. It was simple point and shoot. My confidence in shooting under crisis is very high using this laser.
My Dad, his friend and I were shooting my Dad's relatively new SR9 about a year ago. My Dad was having 2-3 rounds jamming every mag. Neither the other guy or I had any problems when we shot it. We watched him and although his wrists were locked veritcally, his elbows flexed on every shot and he let the SR9 come back about 4 inches on each shot. As soon as he stopped doing that his problems went away.

I can do the same with my SR9c.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the suggestions,I hope to get to the range this weekend and shoot the last 100 rounds I have left and then try a differant brand and see what happens.will post an update as soon as I do.thanks again and being new here I can see it there is alot of good people and info here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine does exactly as you describe but only with Winchester casing. Guaranteed to get 1-2 failures per magazine. Even reloads. From what I can tell the gap on the casing where the exctracor grabs is smaller on a Winchester casing than other brands. At least my caliper says so.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Send it to me, I will take good care of it……lol….

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Wing Rider.
As others have suggested, try some different ammo.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I am no expert, but I have noticed the trend that there have been a lot of new members experiencing this with their new SR9c. The pattern I have seen is that while using cheaper ammo during break in the SR9c is having issues. Once it is broken in, it eats bullets and spits fire regardless of the brand. Federal 115(and a little WWB 115) was what I used during break in.

The solution for most has been to switch to Federal ammo. Also, Be sure to clean the striker channel and don't be suprised if you see some brass shavings in there for a little while.

I also left my slide locked back for the first 2 weeks to try to get those new stiff recoil springs broke in faster.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same issue with my SR9c at the range yesterday. I was firing it for the first time. Had 2 stovepipes, and 4 FTE's after firing 200 rounds of S&B, Magtech & Herters. Never expected this. I actually fired off 10 rounds of each ammo type (115 gr & 124 gr) using my Springfield XD first. I have fired several hundred rounds out of my XD and never had this issue! The SR9c is a brand new gun, and I just got it back from Ruger as they had to replace the barrel (upon initial field stripping, could not get the slide to retract on assembly ... had to send it to Ruger.) One thing I'll note here is when I got the gun back this past Friday, I attempted to field strip, and could not get the take-down pin out??? It's jammed in there pretty solidly. Oiled it a bit, still won't come out. Before I take a hammer to it, I will try to field strip again and call Ruger.

I selected the SR9c over a Glock 19 because of reviews on-line, and the gun felt great in my hand. Before I bought the Ruger, I rented both at the range I shoot at. I'm now begining to question whether I should have got the Glock or new XDm instead . . . I really want to luv this gun . . . but it's getting harder every day! As far as positives: I do love the trigger on this gun, the stock sights are better than my XD, and It's as accurate as the XD.

Thanks for listening, and any tips would be appreciated.
Chris

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm thinking that you'll have to send the gun back to Ruger. Be sure to tell them all the problems you're having. I had to send mine back because of the same issues as you're having. It is a little upsetting but Ruger will take care of you. Most of the new SR9C's are functional but there are some having issues and must be sent back. Be glad you discovered the problems instead of some who buy a gun and don't shoot it: They put it aside for the day the need it which is a bad mistake especially for a used gun. Through my 46 years of gun ownership I beleive that 15% or so of used guns are sold because they have problems.

·
Banned
698 Posts
Agreed. Try some different ammunition. Also toss a little note book in your range bag or cleaning kit and every time you clean and inspect your guns make notes of your shooting day and condition of your gun. Ammo used how dirty guns is and any new wear marks on the gun. You'll know if its new or worse by your last few entrys. Also check out some of the printable targets here or online for correction on shooting vs where bullet hits paper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've shot American Eagle, Winchester WB (Walmart) and Tulammo all in 115gr FMJ. Also some Federal Hydrashok 115gr HP. I have not had a single issue with mine. About 250 rounds total so far. I didn't even need to do any sight adjustment! I'm sure Ruger will take care of any issues, and you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Guess I got a hungry one, it eats everything and anything with no problems. Majority has WWB, probably 400 of the 600+ I've put thru it so far.

I'd call ruger, and they'll take care of you. The gun itself is great, don't second guess your choice too quickly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts