Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about smoothing out a notchy GP100 trigger that I bought a few months ago. I've done a lot of polishing of the internals, added shims where necessary, and lightened the springs a touch. Overall, the trigger seems great with one exception.

When pulling the trigger in DA right when the hammer is perpendicular to the floor and right after the cylinder stop/latch is released (but before it pops back up), it seems like the trigger is binding or getting stuck on some rough point that I haven't been able to find yet. I think I've ruled out it being the cylinder or pawl by taking them out and re-assembling the gun; when I pull the trigger, the same hang up point exists.

This may also be normal - I'm a new gun owner, and this is my first revolver, so maybe this is just how it is. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my GP100. The problem in my case was burrs on the mainspring strut. I bought a new one of eBay for $12 and it made a huge difference in the trigger pull. Have you looked over the top of your mainspring strut? Mine had obvious defects in the metal.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It is not normal. As to hammer struts they need to be polished and rough spots eliminated on the round part that fits into the hammer and on the body that rides inside the spring. It is one of the major causes of roughness.

Here is a link to a video to show how the trigger and hammer interface in double action from Kevin Wilson's site on tuning the SP101:

Ruger SP-101 Trigger

Here is a link to a thread on another cause of a hump in double action pull:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-...01-trigger-job-question-multiple-threads.html

Exlogger tells what he did about it.

·
Bang Bang
383 Posts
I agree with the the hammer strut being rough.

For an easy answer, remove the hammer spring and install it upside down. Not that there is a right or wrong orientation, but you get the picture.

If the drag goes away briefly, the strut is rough. File the four edges where the spring makes contact and enjoy the difference. The strut is a punched piece and is rough by nature.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My gp has this same hitch in its trigger and its drove me nuts. Ive polished everything and to save my life ive never been able to remedy it. It happens on mine right when you say just after the hammer is lifted just before the cylinder is rotated. Its like its got a small glass rod that has to break before the cylinder moves in DA. Id have sent it to a gunsmith if not for the shipping situation on handguns. I sure would love to hear what you find should you be successful in fixing it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Alright buddy after taking down my own gp100 I figured out that the hitch in my own trigger was coming from th DA cam (bottom lip) on the trigger biting into the DA sear (very bottom lip) on the hammer. After some careful stoning with very small, very fine and appropriately shaped stones to the underside of that bottom lip there on the hammer ( below the SA sear) the noticeable hang in its DA pull is now gone. I now have one sweet trigger pull with factory springs. I can't say for sure if it might help you and of course if you mess it up you can't just order a new hammer but for me that's what finally fixed it. I'm so glad I had to post it here. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newbie here... first post.

I'm just getting back into shooting after nearly 25 years and a Match Champion is my first purchase. Because it's been so long since I've fired a magnum revolver, I don't have a lot of experience to draw on. But I also felt this "hump" at the onset of the trigger pull and I determined that it was two things. There was some roughness between the top of the strut and the pocket in the hammer where it sits. I used some lapping compound to smooth things out. The other culprit was roughness at the other end of the strut (where the little hole is) and where it passes though the mainspring seat (the little claw thingy). I polished the strut and used 1500 grit sandpaper to polish the rectangular hole in the seat and chamfer the edges of the hole. I then applied a tiny dab of gun grease to the top and bottom of the strut.

It's really smooth now. There isn't a "hump" to get over anymore. Just a nice linear pull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts