Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The gun is a new (test fired 20Jul12) BH convertible 45ACP / 45LC. The 45ACP cylinder throats were, uniformly, less than 0.451. The 45LC cylinder had 4 throats less than 0.451 and two at about 0.451. The attached photo shows a Rainier plated 0.451 SWC with the ACP (left) and LC (right) cylinders. (For the purists: yes, I did measure the Rainier (Starrett 233) and it is .451.)

Manson and Brownell's sell the Manson 0.4525 throat reamer and pilots for about $130 plus shipping.

Rather than buying, I rented a reamer and pilots from 4-D Products. Rental cost was $35, ship to me $8.25, return ship $5.25.

Reaming requires use of a cutting fluid (e.g. Tap Magic) and a handle to hold the reamer. The reamer's handle shaft is cylindrical with one narrow flat. A "T-handle" tap wrench has insufficient grip, so I chucked the reamer in a drill press and turned the spindle by hand.

The reamer is self-feeding, requiring no down pressure. Time required to ream the two cylinders was about an hour for me, but I do tend to go slowly. Results were good … a .452 will drop through all chambers under it's own weight.

For additional background, see here. Note that the T-handle shown probably won't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have reamed three convertibles (both cylinders in each - .45ACP and .45 Colt) and one Bisley Vaquero. All of them have benefitted immensely from the .4525" cylinder throats. Match accuracy and NO leading whatsoever.

It is important to do it right (maintain reamer alignment, etc) and use a piloted reamer with pilots that closely fit the original cylinder throats. Done correctly it can take an unacceptable revolver into the class of ("gonna bury it with me when I die;))".

Dale53

1 - 3 of 3 Posts