Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received and installed a "NOVAK front dot tritium night sight" today. I ordered this to replace the stock front sight on my LC9s, as the dot was extremely hard to see, and wanted the added benefit of tritium for use at night.
Before I go on, the front sight is a real PITA to install. I have a sight pusher and experience installing front and rear sights on Glocks, and a rear sight on a Beretta 92FS. The front sight on the LC9s took about 4 times the effort and care as compared to my previous experience. As such, unless you are very confident in your skills, and go extremely SLOW and take extreme CARE, I'd recommend a Ruger experienced gunsmith to do the work.

Having said that, I'm very happy with the sight. Much bigger and easier to pick up than the stock white dot front sight.
The sight alignment picture I posted is misleading, as the NOVAK sight sits at the same height as the default sight. I had angled my phone somewhat so the picture would clearly show front and rear sights. Also, sorry for the crappy quality of my old Samsung S3's camera. Pics at the bottom.

Here's the sight:

LC9® and LC9s® Novak® Front Dot Tritium Night Sight-ShopRuger

...and here's a tutorial on how to install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzRaK1d6m8

Attachments

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Received and installed a "NOVAK front dot tritium night sight" today. I ordered this to replace the stock front sight on my LC9s, as the dot was extremely hard to see, and wanted the added benefit of tritium for use at night.
Before I go on, the front sight is a real PITA to install. I have a sight pusher and experience installing front and rear sights on Glocks, and a rear sight on a Beretta 92FS. The front sight on the LC9s took about 4 times the effort and care as compared to my previous experience. As such, unless you are very confident in your skills, and go extremely SLOW and take extreme CARE, I'd recommend a Ruger experienced gunsmith to do the work.

Having said that, I'm very happy with the sight. Much bigger and easier to pick up than the stock white dot front sight.
The sight alignment picture I posted is misleading, as the NOVAK sight sits at the same height as the default sight. I had angled my phone somewhat so the picture would clearly show front and rear sights. Also, sorry for the crappy quality of my old Samsung S3's camera. Pics at the bottom.

Here's the sight:
Did you have to do any filing to make it fit?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have to do any filing to make it fit?
Yes, I filed down the base until the black color was gone and well into the "NOVAK" stamp. I then smoothed it using sandpaper. I wanted it tight, so didn't want to remove much more material.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shot my LC9s today with the new front sight installed. A definite improvement! Much easier to pick up, and it didn't change the point of aim.
Overall I've been extremely happy with this pistol. Mine continues to be 100% reliable, and very accurate out to 5-7 yards, which is my typical max range when practicing. I'm fully confident in it as my daily CCW.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought the Truglo TFO, but changed my mind and went with the XS big dot 24/7 because it has a better night sight arrangement that can't be confused like a 3 dot can.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I had a classically trained gunsmith install mine, just wasn't worth the frustration, best $40 spent. Dropped it off, took the wife to breakfast, went back and picked it up....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts