Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
New Gun Owner Ruger Security 9
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback. Mossberg MC2c or the Stoeger STR-9. Just for home defense and rang shooting on the weekend. I live in a restricted state (NJ) with only 10 round mags allowed, and no Concealed carry. I like both pistols but keep going back and forth. Unfortunately due to availability it’s not like I could go out to a gun store and range and shoot them both. Just curious if anyone is familiar with either of these 9 mm and can give me some objective opinions. I’ve done my research on both guns and I’m just curious what others think of both of them thanks. I own the Ruger Security 9 and I love it.
Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Mammal Gun barrel

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looking for feedback. Mossberg MC2c or the Stoeger STR-9. Just for home defense and rang shooting on the weekend. I live in a restricted state (NJ) with only 10 round mags allowed, and no Concealed carry. I like both pistols but keep going back and forth. Unfortunately due to availability it’s not like I could go out to a gun store and range and shoot them both. Just curious if anyone is familiar with either of these 9 mm and can give me some objective opinions. I’ve done my research on both guns and I’m just curious what others think of both of them thanks. I own the Ruger Security 9 and I love it. View attachment 159717
If you like your Sec9 and are limited to 10 rounds maybe a Sec9 Compact?

·
Registered
572 Posts
What is drawing you to the Mossberg and Stoeger guns? Is it price? I agree with others, why go with a compact if it is for home defense. For home defense, go with a full size gun, like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is drawing you to the Mossberg and Stoeger guns? Is it price? I agree with others, why go with a compact if it is for home defense. For home defense, go with a full size gun, like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.
Thanks. I like ergos of both guns, as well as their positive reviews, and the price. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Save a lot of money. Buy the Security 9 or it’s compact version. Both are real winners. They are not status guns. They are just reliable work horses.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks. I like ergos of both guns, as well as their positive reviews, and the price. Appreciate your feedback.
I've been chasing the perfect gun for at least 30 years... haven't found it yet. I know this is a Ruger forum, but being that you are limited to 10 rounds, have you considered any of the Glocks? The Glock 19 / 23 are compact guns and have 10 round magazines available. I've been carrying a Glock 43x, slim, single stack 9mm that holds 10 rounds but big enough that my whole hand fits on the grip. It has become one of my favorites.

But seriously, if you like the guns you have, spend the money on ammo. I would rather have one gun and 1000 rounds of ammo for range use than two guns and no ammo. If you are good on ammo, get a shotgun for home defense. And of course, every gun collection needs a good .22lr pistol... do you have one of those yet?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been chasing the perfect gun for at least 30 years... haven't found it yet. I know this is a Ruger forum, but being that you are limited to 10 rounds, have you considered any of the Glocks? The Glock 19 / 23 are compact guns and have 10 round magazines available. I've been carrying a Glock 43x, slim, single stack 9mm that holds 10 rounds but big enough that my whole hand fits on the grip. It has become one of my favorites.

But seriously, if you like the guns you have, spend the money on ammo. I would rather have one gun and 1000 rounds of ammo for range use than two guns and no ammo. If you are good on ammo, get a shotgun for home defense. And of course, every gun collection needs a good .22lr pistol... do you have one of those yet?
Yes, we have a Glock 19 at home for my wife, as well as the Glock 44 in .22lr. I like the Glocks but I ergonomically I don’t think they feel great in hand. They’re also very blocky. OK this is a gun for personal defense so that should really matter. I like Glocks they are good guns but I’m just not in love with them the way so many fan boys are.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Save a lot of money. Buy the Security 9 or it’s compact version. Both are real winners. They are not status guns. They are just reliable work horses.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Automotive exterior

The security nine was my first pistol that I ever bought last February. I’ve already upgraded it with the flat faced short stroke trigger from Galloway, Talon hand grip, and a pair of high viz. fiber optic sights. I absolutely love the gun.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,254 Posts
What would you recommend for those purposes? Thanks!
Rent and shoot a bunch.

I am an odd duck—hate any polymer frames after seeing how a steel-frame Kahr saved a brother-in-law when an overcharged Georgia Arms 9mm blew up in the gun. The frame contained the blast and though the gun was damaged, he did not lose an eye or fingers.

Could it happen again? 0% chance until it does.

Right now, I am in the process of buying a Beretta 92 fs, but I shot many 9s before picking this gun, a g model with the de cocker but not the safety. I will be the first to say that a 92 is not for everyone. The grip is fat, but my mitts are made for XXL work gloves.

It is a house gun, as I only carry revolvers, usually a DAO Kimber. For that reason, the 92’s DA trigger seems fine to me. With the hammer cocked, it is a tack-driver and I love how Beretta 92’s feed ramp (or lack of one) makes jams less likely.

If anything, striker-fired guns have too light a trigger for me, but my favorites were the S&W M&P 2.0 and the Walther PPQ. See what your range has before putting out money, and shoot a bunch. I am glad I did. A lot of it came down to what fit my hand best.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rent and shoot a bunch.

I am an odd duck—hate any polymer frames after seeing how a steel-frame Kahr saved a brother-in-law when an overcharged Georgia Arms 9mm blew up in the gun. The frame contained the blast and though the gun was damaged, he did not lose an eye or fingers.

Right now, I am in the process of buying a Beretta 92 fs, but I shot many 9s before picking this gun, a g model with the de cocker but not the safety. I will be the first to say that a 92 is not for everyone. The grip is fat, but my mitts are made for XXL work gloves.

It is a house gun, as I only carry revolvers, usually a DAO Kimber. For that reason, the 92’s DA trigger seems fine to me. With the hammer cocked, it is a tack-driver and I love how Beretta 92’s feed ramp (or lacks of one) makes jams less likely.

If anything, striker-fired guns have too light a trigger, but my favorites were the S&W M&P 2.0 and the Walther PPQ. See what your range has before putting out money, and shoot a bunch. I am glad I did. A lot of it came down to what fit my hand best.
Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Rent and shoot a bunch.

It is a house gun, as I only carry revolvers, usually a DAO Kimber. For that reason, the 92’s DA trigger seems fine to me. With the hammer cocked, it is a tack-driver and I love how Beretta 92’s feed ramp (or lack of one) makes jams less likely.

If anything, striker-fired guns have too light a trigger for me, but my favorites were the S&W M&P 2.0 and the Walther PPQ. See what your range has before putting out money, and shoot a bunch. I am glad I did. A lot of it came down to what fit my hand best.
Funny you say this... I am really starting to like my CZ 75 P-01 again. I always shot it at the range but never carried it as it is heavier than my plastic guns. But now I am really starting to like that DA / SA and the added safety off being able to put my thumb over the hammer when holstering. I bought it back in the Clinton years, so I need to get some magazines for it that aren't neutered.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,254 Posts
Funny you say this... I am really starting to like my CZ 75 P-01 again. I always shot it at the range but never carried it as it is heavier than my plastic guns. But now I am really starting to like that DA / SA and the added safety off being able to put my thumb over the hammer when holstering. I bought it back in the Clinton years, so I need to get some magazines for it that aren't neutered.
That is the other all-metal 9 that I really like, but I prefer the 92’s method of feeding ammo.

IMHO, heavy is your best friend, but that is a revolver bias.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
What would you recommend for those purposes? Thanks!
The list is incredibly extensive. A lot would go into that decision. What would I recommend for your intended purpose? A full size all steel 1911. The platform is very easy to shoot well (for most). reliable if maintained (but then most guns are) and as accurate as you need it to be. In my opinion, the best range gun there is. A CZ75 fits in the same class, and a Berretta 92 is pretty close. Of course, polymer guns are less expensive, but the added weight of an all steel gun helps mitigate recoil.

Someone else may suggest a Glock 17, a full size Ruger American pistol, A Springfield XD, a Smith & Wesson M&P, a Sig P320. The list goes on and on and on and you get the idea.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi there, FN. I have good experience with a pair of MC2Cs. It's a high-quality built, and well-functioning handgun. I even sent one off to Magnaport. Do your due-diligence on the Stoeger. There's You-Tubes out there posting issues with that gun, though I really liked it, also.

Based on your Sec9 mod, you are okay with the straight triggers. That's the main thing I just can't get used to on the MC. The frame hump is another, though that can be modified also. Both of mine have safeties, and can be set to function from either side, as you prefer. I set mine for use with my thumb to deactivate.

All stainless construction with excellent black coatings. They are more compact than a G19.
Bumper Laptop accessory Gadget Office equipment Automotive exterior
Bumper Laptop accessory Gadget Office equipment Automotive exterior
Synthetic rubber Boot Outdoor shoe Human leg Personal protective equipment
Composite material Fashion accessory Hardwood Electric blue Human leg
Bumper Laptop accessory Gadget Office equipment Automotive exterior Synthetic rubber Boot Outdoor shoe Human leg Personal protective equipment Composite material Fashion accessory Hardwood Electric blue Human leg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi there, FN. I have good experience with a pair of MC2Cs. It's a high-quality built, and well-functioning handgun. I even sent one off to Magnaport. Do your due-diligence on the Stoeger. There's You-Tubes out there posting issues with that gun, though I really liked it, also.

Based on your Sec9 mod, you are okay with the straight triggers. That's the main thing I just can't get used to on the MC. The frame hump is another, though that can be modified also. Both of mine have safeties, and can be set to function from either side, as you prefer. I set mine for use with my thumb to deactivate.

All stainless construction with excellent black coatings. They are more compact than a G19. View attachment 159785 View attachment 159785 View attachment 159786 View attachment 159787 View attachment 159785 View attachment 159786 View attachment 159787
Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Office equipment Gun accessory

Love my MC1sc, so I’m going back and forth on the MC2C. Do you like the MC2 better than the Glock? Apparently the Stoeger STR-9 had some issues in the beginning with the first 1000 pistols with the mag release. But seems to have been corrected.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feel that the G19 is a bit easier to control in rapid-fire due to the way it mitigates the recoil impulse. Without question, I like the curve of the Glock trigger better. If there were a curved trigger option for the MC, and a flatter (dare I say replaceable?) backstrap, it'd be a tough pistol to beat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts