Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and bought an AR15...Bushmaster BFC15 today! Have to wait the usual 10 days in CA to pick it up. First non-Ruger purchase. Okay here is the first question for an AR newbie. It is 5.56/.223 Caliber....from what I read I can fire both 5.56 AND .223 ammo, but IF the barrel states .223 I cannot fire 5.56 rounds. Is that correct?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congrats, I'm sure your going to enjoy it...Greetings and Welcome from the Outer Banks of North Carolina, "The Tar Heel State."

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I went and bought an AR15...Bushmaster BFC15 today! Have to wait the usual 10 days in CA to pick it up. First non-Ruger purchase. Okay here is the first question for an AR newbie. It is 5.56/.223 Caliber....from what I read I can fire both 5.56 AND .223 ammo, but IF the barrel states .223 I cannot fire 5.56 rounds. Is that correct?
Congrat's on the new Bushmaster...you'll enjoy it for years!

You are correct in that you can fire both 5.56 and .223 ammo in a rifle chambered in 5.56...but not the other way around! In a rifle marked .223, you should fire .223 ammo only!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congrats Tiger! I have a Bushmaster Carbon-15 and it's been a fun range toy. Darn accurate too - really surprised me. I haven't done much to mine except play around with some cheap optics and pick up a few extra mags. You'll have fun with yours I'm sure! Enjoy.

Wave

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Is your question hypothetical or did someone switch barrels (or the entire upper) on you?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Congrat's on the new Bushmaster...you'll enjoy it for years!

You are correct in that you can fire both 5.56 and .223 ammo in a rifle chambered in 5.56...but not the other way around! In a rifle marked .223, you should fire .223 ammo only!
That's right. A barrel marked for 5.56 is designed for the higher chamber pressures that 5.56 ammo has.

My LGS was kind enough to remind me of that when I bought a little Rossi (I know, I know!) single shot in .223.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the clarification. Now I feel confident I can split ammo costs with a friend of mine who wants to buy 223 in bulk.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I am new to the AR scene...I have a few more questions that come to mind.

Are all AR mags universal?

I am looking to get an aftermarket synthetic polymer hand guard as well...

Should I be looking at carbine length and who makes decent ones?

Difference between non chrome-lined barrel and chrome-lined?

Right now I just have the rifle on hold and a Barska 3-9x40 scope on the way.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
That's right. A barrel marked for 5.56 is designed for the higher chamber pressures that 5.56 ammo has.

My LGS was kind enough to remind me of that when I bought a little Rossi (I know, I know!) single shot in .223.
I have an NEF handi rifle in 223 its super accurate I didn't know about the 5.56 223 thing thought it was a bullet weight accuracy thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an NEF handi rifle in 223 its super accurate I didn't know about the 5.56 223 thing thought it was a bullet weight accuracy thing.
I wouldn't shoot 5.56 through it. If its chambered for .223 it can't handle the pressure of a 5.56 round

·
Registered
48 Posts
Since I am new to the AR scene...I have a few more questions that come to mind.

Are all AR mags universal?

I am looking to get an aftermarket synthetic polymer hand guard as well...

Should I be looking at carbine length and who makes decent ones?

Difference between non chrome-lined barrel and chrome-lined?

Right now I just have the rifle on hold and a Barska 3-9x40 scope on the way.
As long as its a 5.56/2.23 mag yes. Just get you a couple pmags you will never have an issue. Carbine length would require a 7 inch handguard basically it boils down to the length of your gas tube and where the gas block is. I'd make sure you find out the length before you order anything.

Chrome lined barrels are easier to clean but not as accurate. I shoot out of a RRA chrome lined barrel @ 150 yds its deadly accurate.

·
Registered
815 Posts
As long as its a 5.56/2.23 mag yes. Just get you a couple pmags you will never have an issue. Carbine length would require a 7 inch handguard basically it boils down to the length of your gas tube and where the gas block is. I'd make sure you find out the length before you order anything.

Chrome lined barrels are easier to clean but not as accurate. I shoot out of a RRA chrome lined barrel @ 150 yds its deadly accurate.
this is spot-on. Pmags are the way to go--they're not particularly expensive, and if you buy in bulk you can find them in the $11-12 range.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
this is spot-on. Pmags are the way to go--they're not particularly expensive, and if you buy in bulk you can find them in the $11-12 range.
Pmags are made by Magpul....they work great for me. I have never had good results with ProMag so don't get confused by the closeness of the name.

Never seen a Magpul Pmag in a 10 rounder which is what he needs in CA.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I know I have to measure before I buy another hand guard. I guess in that case once measured 99% of aftermarket hand guards will fit and most aftermarket mags will fit. Thanks. Looking forward to getting the rifle in my hands and shooting it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I don't have an AR but I have a SU-16 Kel Tec it uses AR mags, Pro Mags have been working perfect in it also use them in Mini-14& M1 carbine they work perfect in them too so I wouldn't not try them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My new toy the Bushmaster ORC AR15 with the following installed:

Magpul Foregrip
Magpul Handguard
Magpul MOE+ Pistol Grip
Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot Scope

1 - 20 of 22 Posts