Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have my CHL, I need a conceal holster. My CHL instructor recommended a "belly band" style holster.

Does anyone use one?
Pro's?
Con's?

I'm leaning towards a Ruger LCR.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you are comfortable with revolvers, the LCR would make an excellent choice for an EDC. Very light and small enough to carry easily.

Holsters are more difficult. Due to the weather being cooler, your choices are more varied. I never warmed up to belly bands. I generally stick with a belt holster or pocket carry (in a holster such as a Desantis Nemesis). Outside the waistband carry is the most comfortable for me, but I am used to IWB. With an EMPTY weapon, practice extensively with your draw before carrying.

A good, stiff belt is almost as important as the right holster. If I were just starting out carrying, I'd find a good belt and order a plain, fairly minimalist holster in leather or kydex. Being winter, you will have some time to become accustomed to carrying and what is most comfortable for you . The holster that I use most often now is a Remora. It is inexpensive and I can use it IWB, pocket, and even as my nightstand holster. I'd also look at Simply Rugged if you want OWB. Many, many choices tho.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Concealed handgun license, I think the names vary from state to state.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Michael... I use a Kangaroo Carry. Its a "Belly Band" type holster. I really like that style of carry. I tried pocket carry, but just couldn't make it work. I needed a very light pistol, or it felt like a brick in my pocket. I don't wear belts, because I don't have much "butt", and I'm constantly pulling my pants up anyways, so a belt holster is out. The Kangaroo Carry allows me to comfortably carry a heavy, full size gun if I desire, but usually, its a subcompact. That way, I can simply throw the same pistol into a jacket pocket if I'm walking the dog, or running into the store for a few groceries.

I have carried my P345 for extended periods in the Kangaroo, and you don't even notice its size and weight.

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
I have a Pistol Wear belly band type holster I use for exercise walking. I used to carry an LCR in it before I traded the LCR for a S&W 642. The belly band works fine but is tough to get a firearm into action quickly with particularly in cooler weather dressed in layers. I usually pocket carry in a pocket holster and the beauty of it is you can innocently slip your hand in your pocket if thing look threatening and actually have gun in hand without anyone the wiser. Here is the Pistol Wear web site:

Holsters - Pistol Wear, LLC

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome to the world of holsters! You'll probably have a drawer full like many of us do by the time you find the "best" one.
I've found there is alwayspros/cons to each style of holster. I've tried just about every style imaginable!
I carry an LCR 357 and have found an OWB Mitch Rosen attached to a 1.75" wide belt worn at about 4-5 o'clock to be my sweet spot.
Whatever holster you choose make sure it does not collapse after drawing the gun. You want it to retain its form for safe re-holstering. I thought I had found good holsters until I actually started practicing drawing and reholstering. Several I tried carried well, but would not allow easy reholstering. The Mitch Rosen I have seems to be working effectively. I also want to try a Kydex for this very reason.
I've tried a belly band. They are very versatile. I have been looking at the Crossbreed style that has velcro which allows you to place the weapon in a Kydex holster in various positions on your body. Very interesting.
Good luck!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Take a look at Remora. Been carrying my LCR in one every day for the past two years and it works so well my XDs and Glock 30 both ride in one now. You can position it anywhere you want IWB, at any cant you prefer, and it stays put. I carry at 1 o'clock and the LCR is invisible even in a t-shirt. When driving, just shift it to a cross-draw position at 10-11 o'clock and you're ready to roll with quick access if required. One drawback some point out is re-holstering, as there is no reinforced "hold-open" lip. I see this as non-problem as it's just as easy, and safer, to slip out the holster, insert weapon and slide that baby back into place. In fact the gun can be put on, taken off, handled and stored without ever leaving the holster. Easy as pie.

https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/REMORA-IWB-INSIDE-THE-WAISTBAND-HOLSTER-p/iwb.htm

·
Registered
392 Posts
Now that I have my CHL, I need a conceal holster. My CHL instructor recommended a "belly band" style holster.

Does anyone use one?
Pro's?
Con's?

I'm leaning towards a Ruger LCR.
first of all, get a new instructor!
find a local gun store (not a box store), where the salespeople are friendly and knowledgeable. (look like they've been there for a while). tell them your looking for a used carry gun and a real holster that is going to work. they might have a nice, old j-frame S&W or LCR laying around and holster to fit. this will get you in the game. it will be the first of many guns and many holsters you will buy. find some place to shoot, don't spare the ammo, you want to get good at this. in your spare time dry fire the empty gun while watching youtube videos of the "gun experts". come back here with more questions. good luck.

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will look into all that you guys have mentioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts