Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Ruger Match Champion 10MM. It will arrive here in Terrace next week. Transfer has already gone through and I am told it will ship tomorrow from Tillsonberg, ON. Does anyone have an opinion as to what moon clips one should get? Source? I will check any references out to see if they will ship to Canada.

I have the GP-100 4.2" in .357mag for IDPA. The 10MM should fit right in there for wilderness carry. I have lots of 40 cal brass to practice with. I ordered 100 10MM cases to reload. I will load pics when it arrives.

Take Care
Bob

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Congrats! Moon clips are really a combo of the moon clip and the ammo. Each manufacturer of moon clips makes them to a different thickness and the grove width varies by ammo manufacturer. So the trick is to match the moon clip thickness to the ammo manufacturer’s grove thickness. They all “work” but the idea is to get the best fit so the cartridges stay in alignment when you are going for a rapid reload and not flopping out a little to where it will hang up and prevent a smooth motion. Also, get a moon clip tool. I have a couple different ones from BMT and they work great. They are a little more expensive, but they make loading and unloading quick, easy, painless, and you won’t bend your clip. I say a couple as I have a few moon clip guns and they are gun-specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
Rob congrats, Looks like a sweet wheel gun. I have a black hawk with a 40sw and 10mm cylinder. Lots of fun shooting it. And no chasing down brass.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the gun should ship with three moon clips included in the box. I bought extras from Ruger or TK, I can't remember. I've lost them before so having extras is a plus. I've shot 40 S&W with the same moon clips without any problems so far.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the information. I will try Ruger's website. The three that come with the gun are likely all I need BUT I know they sometimes bend and/or I forget where I put them so I would not lose them. Done that more frequently of late that I would care to admit.

Looking forward to the gun. I now have four Ruger revolvers. Love all of them. My GP-100 needed the cylinders opened up to .358. I am hoping all will be well with this gun. I plan to shoot it a lot with lead 180 gr Lyman bullets' I think RCBS makes a 200 gr mold for the 10MM which may prove to be of interest. I have to trim down my herd of pistols and add a few more round guns. My old Dillon 550 will have a busy winter. Can't wait to wrap my hands around the new kid in the safe. Along with the pics I will add a bit of a range report.

Take Care
Canada Bob

·
Registered
499 Posts
I use the Ranch Products moonclips in my 10mm (mine's not a Ruger). I've used only 3 of the moonclips and fired just over 1000 documented rounds of 10mm and over 400 rounds of 40S&W and have not bent them at all. They are holding up well, but have plenty if they do get rendered useless.

BTW, I saw somewhere that the Match Champion can't fire the 40S&W. Is this the case?

[Edit] I just read up on this; the spendy TK Customs moonclips headspace the 40S&W properly.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything I have read suggests the MC will fire 40 cal using moon clips.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm curious here, as I'm a fan of Vihtavouri powders and have established a rapport with their tech department, in addition to both their online and hardcopy of their load charts,

What does the 10mm provide that the .357 cannot?

Considering N110 will push a .357 180 gr to over 1400FPS, compared to N105 pushing the 10mm to 1280FPS?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm curious here, as I'm a fan of Vihtavouri powders and have established a rapport with their tech department, in addition to both their online and hardcopy of their load charts,

What does the 10mm provide that the .357 cannot?

Considering N110 will push a .357 180 gr to over 1400FPS, compared to N105 pushing the 10mm to 1280FPS?
This is an interesting question. Why not start a new thread and pose the question. There is no need to turn this thread into a Dick measuring exercise is there?

To answer your question in the vain it deserves......it gives me a reason to use my 40/10MM caliber dies more, the 10MM makes bigger hikes in the tin cans I intend to shoot and lastly it gives me another reason to spend money on moon clips and assorted other expensive toys my two sons can argue over after I am gone.

The 10MM dies the same thing my .357MAG GP-100does and the same thing my next GP-100 on .22LR will do and that is to consume copious amounts of my time at the local range,

Take Care

Bob
ps Others can add to the many reasons why one should buy another Ruger GP-100

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Congrats! Nice revolver.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is an interesting question. Why not start a new thread and pose the question. There is no need to turn this thread into a Dick measuring exercise is there?

To answer your question in the vain it deserves......it gives me a reason to use my 40/10MM caliber dies more, the 10MM makes bigger hikes in the tin cans I intend to shoot and lastly it gives me another reason to spend money on moon clips and assorted other expensive toys my two sons can argue over after I am gone.

The 10MM dies the same thing my .357MAG GP-100does and the same thing my next GP-100 on .22LR will do and that is to consume copious amounts of my time at the local range,

Take Care

Bob
ps Others can add to the many reasons why one should buy another Ruger GP-100
Punt received!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guy. No worries. That is a question worth mulling over. Go with it.

Take Care
Bob

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK Canada Post has my revolver. It should be here by next Thursday. I am going to load up a box or two fo 40cal and a few rounds of 10MM so I can at least hear bang, bang next week. Anyone have a favourite load for the 10MM. While I have the 190 gr Lyman mold I may source out a 200 fr mold from Accurate or RCBS.

Buying the 10MM was a bit of a trade off. We have some serious sized Black and Brown Bears up here. For the most part they are quite timid and leave you alone. I do rely on a 12 gauge Mossberg but it is not always at hand hence the revolver. The trade off comes with size and weight, I know what I can do with hot ,357Mag loads and what I cannot do with hot .44magnum so the trade off is the 10MM. If all you have is a pistol you really are five minutes late to the party but having a handgun you can shoot quickly and accurately helps move the clock a bit.

Other than the above my next priority is just putting holes in paper and tin cans. This gun will fit in my holsters (Kydex and nylon) which is a plus. I have lots of 40 cal brass so I have plinking and practice covered.

Lastly I have read and watched several reviews on this model and all seem to be favourable. I do like the platform.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Back last century, I used to feed my Colt DE 180GR FPJ with AA#9. Made a nice load.
These days I feed my GP100 .357 with 180GR FPJ using Vihtavuori, I see N105 listing good loads for the 180 and 200 GR in 10mm.
I like most VV powders, and use several flavors intended for pistol, revolver and rifle loads.
Happy loading:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the Vihtavuori powders for handgun calibers as well but they are pretty expensive powders up here compared to Hogdon powders. Alliant powders work well but are not carried by anyone locally and are difficult to find on line in Canada. I have some of the powders Lyman lists for the 190/200gr bullets both in 40cal and 10MM. With our warm weather coming to an end in another month or two I want to get a couple of loads figured out before mid November. I hope to have some lighter 10MM loads mirrored with 40 cal. I can then get my practice in using 40 cal brass with loads similar to bottom end 10MM.

I have done that with my 45acp/45colt and my 34spl/357mag. By summer of next year I hope to have most of all of this figured out by late spring of next year. The full power 10MM loads using 200 gr hard cast bullets will be the easy part. It Just takes time which is exactly what a hobby is meant to consume.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
477 Posts
I bought a GP100 MC in 10mm back in May. I just sent it back to Ruger for warrentee work, but since QC is a random thing I won't go into that. I have tried a couple of moonclips: Ruger are flimsy and bend easily - $15 for 3 ; EZ moonclips are plastic and seem to work OK, but people tell me they get brittle in a few years - $36 for 10; Ranch moonclips are .004" thicker than Ruger's (.036+"), you need a moonclip loader but they are sturdy and cost $8.99 for 8 at Midway. My firearm will not shoot 40S&W with any of these moonclips, but will dent the primer. Head space can vary from revolver to revolver by a few thousandths, which may make a difference, so if you can - great, but don't count on shooting 40 S&W out of your Match Champion. TK has .050" moonclips that will work for 40's, but they are $80 for 10. My advice is to try Ranch moonclips, for the price you can afford to try them out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats! Moon clips are really a combo of the moon clip and the ammo. Each manufacturer of moon clips makes them to a different thickness and the grove width varies by ammo manufacturer. So the trick is to match the moon clip thickness to the ammo manufacturer’s grove thickness. They all “work” but the idea is to get the best fit so the cartridges stay in alignment when you are going for a rapid reload and not flopping out a little to where it will hang up and prevent a smooth motion. Also, get a moon clip tool. I have a couple different ones from BMT and they work great. They are a little more expensive, but they make loading and unloading quick, easy, painless, and you won’t bend your clip. I say a couple as I have a few moon clip guns and they are gun-specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct for rimmed cartridges, not so much for rimless ones. On rimless cartridges the extractor groove is spec'd by SAAMI, so pretty consistent manufacturer to manufacturer. On rimmed ammo, no such spec exists - for that matter some rimmed ammo has no groove in front of the case head (I believe that Armscorps .38/.357 ammo falls in that category) so, yes, matching brand of ammo to moon clip becomes a trial and error situation. Most clip manufacturers can give recommendations as to clip thickness and brass manufacturer suitability, but that is a starting point only.

Cartridge shape & length also play a role in what works optimally in a given gun. .45 ACP revolvers and, to a slightly lesser extent, .40 S&W revolvers (or the use of .40 S&W in 10 mm revolvers), actually work better with some wiggle in the cartridge to moon clip fit. It helps facilitate cartridge to chamber alignment. The .45 has a slight edge here because the bullet profile most often encountered is round nose. With the .40 the bullet usually has a flat nose with a rounded ogive. But the shortness of those cartridges also plays a big role in the ease and rapidity of loading.

With longer, skinnier cartridges (think .38 Spl / .357 Mag) you want a rigid, no-wiggle, cartridge to moon clip fit. Cartridge wiggle actually works against you with these cartridges. Most competition shooters that use guns chambered in .38/.357 use .38 Long Colt or .38 Short Colt in their moon clips.

I have pretty much used revolvers exclusively for about the last six years to shoot IDPA and USPSA and recently have started shooting ICORE also. I have over a dozen moon clip guns - while most are .45 ACP, I also have guns chambered in .40 S&W (S&W646), 10 mm (Ruger MC), .38 Super (S&W 627-4PC), 9 mm (S&W 929) as well as .38/.357 (S&W 627-5PC), so I have pretty extensive experience.

To answer you actual question: I use Ranch Products moon clips (made for the S&W 646) for my Ruger 10 mm MC. This was happenstance, not design. I used my 646 for a number of years and had quite a few Ranch Products clips. I retired the 646 (getting too valuable to shoot) when I found that the clips I already possessed, would work with the MC and that has been the case.

Feel free to buy TK's clips or Ruger's and spend $5 to $7 per clip, or buy Ranch Products for probably about 10% to 20% of that (it has been a long time since I bought clips, but I think the numbers I quoted are realistic). There are calibers where, if you want optimum reloading speed, you will have to spend that $5 - $7 per clip, fortunately, .40 S&W is not one of them.

Just a word about Ranch Products - this is a cottage industry (although for years they were the only game in town). As such, a visit to their website will only net you a phone number to call (and they are likely to answer that call like you connected to a residence, not a business). They make an excellent product. These are die-stamped, not EDM wire cut - which is where a large part of the savings comes from.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about moon clips, but I think a lot of people's dissatisfaction with moon clips is because they are not informed buyers. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys thank you all for helping me out here. I am going to phone Ranch Products right now and place an order for ten based upon their advice.

I will post my experience with the moon clips once the revolver arrives. Canada Post says Oct 1 by end of day. I suspect it will be here on the 30th.

Take Care

Canada Bob
ps I sorted out 200 40cal cases using the same head stamp and load them up with 5.2gr of 231 under a Lyman 180 gr LSWC.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Treid Ranch Products website. I could not get on to the site. They want a user name and password but no option to register. Midway will not ship to Canada so I have to find a retailer in the US. Midway wants $8US for the Ranch moon clips which is about the same price TK wants for theirs.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts