Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well that's something new. Wonder if they are only selling wholesale now and have given their vendors sign-in authority.

Here is a retailer...

About $12 per 8 clips. I don't know if they ship to Canada.

Sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Pizza Bob you have been a great help. I just placed my order and they do ship to Canada.

With that I will order a tk loader and demooner and I am golden only after I hear from you.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm curious here, as I'm a fan of Vihtavouri powders and have established a rapport with their tech department, in addition to both their online and hardcopy of their load charts,

What does the 10mm provide that the .357 cannot?

Considering N110 will push a .357 180 gr to over 1400FPS, compared to N105 pushing the 10mm to 1280FPS?
DIAMETER

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Bigger holes - .044"

Lyman shows 10MM 200gr lead bullet top load N340 6.5gr = 1156fps
Lyman shows 10MM 180gr lead bullet top load N340 6.9gr = 1212fps

My 200gr load using 6gr of Unique in my .357mag gives me 1,031 fps
Lyman shows .357Mag 175 gr lead byllet top load N110 13.7gr = 1212fps

Shorter fatter bullet loads faster than longer slimmer bullet.
My GP-100 in .357Mag will not shoot 40S&W cartridges.

Bought the 10MM GP-100 because I can. It also shoots a shorter 200 gr bullet just as fast as ,my .357mag.

I don't use Vihtavouri powders. Up here they are to expensive for the little gain I would get. I load rounds that I can shoot fast and accurately at distances out to 15 yards. I won't need to shoot further than 15 yards because up here you can't see more than 15 feet when you are in the bush. If I have the time my shotgun will be my go to gun. It shoots big slugs slower but with way more power than any of my handguns. My 45 Colt would be more powerful but it is to slow to reload.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a GP100 MC in 10mm back in May. I just sent it back to Ruger for warrentee work, but since QC is a random thing I won't go into that. I have tried a couple of moonclips: Ruger are flimsy and bend easily - $15 for 3 ; EZ moonclips are plastic and seem to work OK, but people tell me they get brittle in a few years - $36 for 10; Ranch moonclips are .004" thicker than Ruger's (.036+"), you need a moonclip loader but they are sturdy and cost $8.99 for 8 at Midway. My firearm will not shoot 40S&W with any of these moonclips, but will dent the primer. Head space can vary from revolver to revolver by a few thousandths, which may make a difference, so if you can - great, but don't count on shooting 40 S&W out of your Match Champion. TK has .050" moonclips that will work for 40's, but they are $80 for 10. My advice is to try Ranch moonclips, for the price you can afford to try them out.
I have the 3 inch GP100 10mm. I load Accurate 40-224H boolits long in it (1.40") so I can stuff more AA9 powder in the case. The boolits drop at 216 grains with 90/5/5 alloy. You can load very long in that cylinder even beyond 10mm magnum length. I get 1100 fps with a 3 inch barrel. I run TK moon clips.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used Ranch Products moon clips in my S&W 610 revolvers years ago, and more recently in a GP100 . I just measured three Ranch moon clips and they varied in thickness between .036"-.041". My factory GP100 clips are ~.032". The Ranch clips are much sturdier, and also much harder to load and unload.

In my dotage, I prefer the easier to load and unload, without tools, factory Ruger clips. I've used some of the plastic .45 ACP moon clips, and consider them to be disposable. After very little use, the ones I used often broke. But they are real easy to load/unload.

FWIW, Starting with the Bren Ten, I've been a 10MM fan for a very long time. Started reloading the 10 soon after dies became available. I prefer slower powders in loading the 10MM, and have had very good results with Accurate Arms #7, and especially # 9 for the heaviest loads. I consider the 10 to be comparable to the .357 Magnum in power, however one chooses to measure power. Perhaps not superior to .357, except for that bigger hole, but a cartridge I continue to enjoy...

·
Registered
45 Posts
EZ moonclips are plastic and seem to work OK, but people tell me they get brittle in a few years - $36 for 10.
I heartily endorse the RIMZ polymer moon clips - but not for the 10 mm/.40 S&W GP100. I did a small T&E for Denny Bennet when I first got my MC and found that the center opening of the clip was too small and the moon clip would not reliably separate from the from the rachet during extraction...

Please note that the gun is vertical and those are loaded rounds (at least 205 grs each heavier than empties) and the clip sticks on the extractor rachet. You could get the clip/ammo to seat by gentle force, but it then sticks on the rachet when attempting to extract. You may be able to relieve a small bit of material so that they'll work, but I didn't try that.

I use RIMZ polymer clips for my 8-shot 9 mm (S&W 929) in competition and am very pleased. I have never heard of, nor had any problems with the polymer getting brittle.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
479 Posts
I heartily endorse the RIMZ polymer moon clips - but not for the 10 mm/.40 S&W GP100. I did a small T&E for Denny Bennet when I first got my MC and found that the center opening of the clip was too small and the moon clip would not reliably separate from the from the rachet during extraction...

Please note that the gun is vertical and those are loaded rounds (at least 205 grs each heavier than empties) and the clip sticks on the extractor rachet. You could get the clip/ammo to seat by gentle force, but it then sticks on the rachet when attempting to extract. You may be able to relieve a small bit of material so that they'll work, but I didn't try that.

I use RIMZ polymer clips for my 8-shot 9 mm (S&W 929) in competition and am very pleased. I have never heard of, nor had any problems with the polymer getting brittle.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
I noticed that the RIMZ 646 seemed a little tight on the rachet empty, but seemed to open up full of cases. I was a little concerned about hang-ups, but last Sunday I ran the gun at an ICORE shoot and the cases came out just fine, of course I was whacking them out rather than dropping them. after trying out Ruger EZ and Ranch I have decided to use Ranch; however, I found Denny Bennets plastic clips to load and extract just fine and have no comnplaints.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Here she is all dressed up and ready to go. Just waiting for a moo clip loader and some clips. Both items should arrive this week. Guns sights were spot on. I am experiencing some leading at 1090fps using the Lyman 175 gr LSWC bullet. I have to check the cylinder throats hopefully they will be .401or slightly more. I assume the forcing cone is cut to 5 degrees. I can have my 'smith cut it to 11 degrees. The gunis accurate enough. That can't be said for the shooter yet. In time I may want to install lighter trigger and hammer springs. The gun is perfect for the intended primry use.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I spent some time with my chronograph this afternoon. The Ranch Product clips I bought are 35 thousandths .resulting in constant failures to fire using them with my 40cal brass. The 10 millimeter worket fine, This was a but disappointing. I will get in touch with Ranch Products tomorrow and see if they make clips as thick as .0040. still. Some of the clips managed to fire completely ion the 2nd attempt.In fairness, it could be the primers as well. I used S&B primers and they be just to hard. When I get my demooner tool on Wednesday I will try a few clips using Federal Primers. The gun is a tackdriver using the Lyman 175 gr LSWC over 5.3 gr of 231. Average Velocity 1015 fps, PF 178

After I get the moon clip issue sorted out I will see what type of load I can develop to make Power Factor just over 155 for SSR Division in IDPA. (175x V => 155).
V= Velocity

Take Care
Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bob, I did shoot a little .40 S&W in my early S&W 610 revolvers with no issues at all. I no longer have any .40 S&W guns or ammo, and have not tried .40 S&W in Ruger revolvers with factory or Ranch moon clips.

Reference 10MM vs. .357, the warmest ammo I can recall using in .357 is the factory Buffalo Bore 180 grain L.F.N.-GC. BB lists it at 1400 FPS, and it actually does ~1400 FPS in a 4" revolver. That is a bit more than I've seen with any factory or reloaded 180 grain 10MM ammo. I've not tried the BB in my current 10MM revolver, a Ruger MC like yours, but am ordering more BB 180 10MM to compare to .357 in a 4" revolver.
Revolvers & Knives (2).JPG

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Bob, I did shoot a little .40 S&W in my early S&W 610 revolvers with no issues at all. I no longer have any .40 S&W guns or ammo, and have not tried .40 S&W in Ruger revolvers with factory or Ranch moon clips.

Reference 10MM vs. .357, the warmest ammo I can recall using in .357 is the factory Buffalo Bore 180 grain L.F.N.-GC. BB lists it at 1400 FPS, and it actually does ~1400 FPS in a 4" revolver. That is a bit more than I've seen with any factory or reloaded 180 grain 10MM ammo. I've not tried the BB in my current 10MM revolver, a Ruger MC like yours, but am ordering more BB 180 10MM to compare to .357 in a 4" revolver.
View attachment 147284
I' be interested to see the results. My Lyman manual has noting in the way of loads that will get near 1400 fps.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Well I went to the range today and was pleasantly surprised. First I fired off all the rounds that failed to fire last range visit. all fired in my M&P FS. I deduce from that the S7B primers were to hard to ignite on my revolver. No worries I have enough Federal primers to do me to the end of the year. I may try some Remington primers as well.

The test result were interesting:
1) Ruger Clip S&B primers: 3 fired, 3 did not.40 S&W, Federal Brass
2( Ranch Products Clip, Federal Primers 6 x 6 Winchester Brass 10MM
3) Ranch Products Clip Federal Primers 6x6 Federal Brass 40 S&W Mixed Brass
4) Ranch Products Clip Federal Primers 6x6 Federal Brass 40S&W
5) Ranch Products Clip Federal Primers Mixed Brass 5x6 One Blazer brass failed6 40S&W
6(Ranch Products Clip Federal Primers Mixed Brass 6x6 40 S&W
7) Ranch Products Clip Fed Primers Federal Brass 6x6 40S&W

Email sent to Ranch Products to let him know his 35 thousandths seek to wok OK. IO do think they could be a bit thicjer. I have suggested increase to 40 thousandths somewhere in between.

I was really disappointed ih the Ruger clips.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think I have solved my issues with the moon clips. The Ranch clios wirker well today and if they do so tomorrow I wull consider the situation resolved, Iave roi check out some loads for the various disciplines I will be using the gun for outside of the self defense use. IPSC is 170125 PF and IDPA is 155 for ESR.

Gun is a dream to shoot and the 10MM.40cal are two easy cartridges to load. mid range load I shoot in the .357mab feels lighter then my bottom end load I am using in my 10MM. When it comes right down to it both will do the job you have asked of it. I don't think I would like to be hit by either one.

Out of the box the NC seems to be finished off more than the regular GP-100 I have in .357. I have changed the trigger and hammer spring, opened up the cylinders, cut the forcing cone to 11 degrees and installed trigger and hammer springs/ I think on balance my regular GP-100 is better equipped then my out of the box MC.. Lighter springs will be ordered next week.

Very happy with the purchase.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
robertbank, Well I got some new Buffalo Bore 10MM 180 JHP to test in the MC. Advertised as 1350 FPS, but 6-rounds averaged 1289 FPS in my gun. I tested 6-rds. in my S&W 1026 semi-auto with 5" barrel. The last I chronographed averaged 1380 FPS in this same gun. Today, the average was 1306 FPS.

BTW, I recently tested some Underwood 165 ball and 165 JHP in the MC. Both are advertised at 1400 FPS. The 165 Ball averaged 1322 FPS, the JHP 1325 FPS,

I still had a few rounds of BB .357 180 grain left from some years ago. In my 4" 686, 6-rds. averaged 1402 FPS. About the same, IIRC, as the last time I tested it in this 686. The BB 180 remains the most powerful ammunition I can recall using in a .357 Magnum revolver.

So, at least in my guns, the BB 180 is around a hundred FPS faster than the BB 180 10MM. I think I'll still keep the 10MM Match Champion;)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Given the 10MM round is fatter than the .357 I am not surprised of the minor velocity difference. I have had lioads vary that much from cartridge to cartridge. I now have both the .357 and the 10MM versions of the GP-100. I have use for them both. I know a guide up here who favours the 10MM un the Glock over anything much larger. HIs only complaint is his Glocks only last a season at most due to rust. He is now looking at the Ruger all stainless in 10MM.. I expect to get around 1,100 fps using plated 200 gr bullet with CFE Pistol or Longshot under it.

It will be easy to find out which caliber shoot the best with accuracy. Both guns have their use and neither will spend much time in the safe.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had mentioned, in my first post, that I had had some problems with my GP100-10mm locking up and that I sent it back to Ruger; it was returned to me last week. Ruger replaced three parts in the trigger assembly, refitted the cylinder and adjusted the lock-up. I tested it out early this week and it works just fine. I'm running it at an ICORE match on Sunday - that'll be the real test.

Robertbank, I'm glad you're shooting 40S&W out of your gun. I expect that if I put the stock hammer spring in mine it might work, but I don't care, don't intend to shoot 40's anyways. I have 38 Spcl and .357 Magnum cases for my .357 Mag revolvers and that's a lot of brass. I can download 10mm to hit power factor just as easily as I can download 40's. But I am happy that things are working out for you. Another trick for ignition that IOWEGEAN talks about is carefully removing 0.020" of the top step of the hammer to get a more positive strike on the firing pin. I've done this on both of my .357's and it helped, but since Federal primers work just fine I'm not considering doing this to my 10mm.

For general knowledge Ruger provides free shipping for their guns for two years, only Ruger starts counting the two years at the date of manufacture not the date of sale - I just got my gun in under the two year limit.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
CY Yankee thanks for your reply. I would like to to use the 40;s in competition because the 40 cartridges are, like the 38spl/35, shorter and slightly faster to reload with moon clips. If I do experience reliability issues with the Federal primers over time I will just use my .357 version of the gun with 38spl cases. I think the solve will be 40 thousandths moon clips. We shall see I have all winter to play with the problem. It will give me something to work on when old man winter descends with rain , snow, sleet and wind. I have never forgiven my Quaker ancestors who went North into Ontario instead of south into Florida. Damn Irish rebels. :>).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Damn-it Robert, now I'm going to HAVE TO Look into one of THESE now ! :eek:
Love the 10mm
Have 3 Pistols and a Carbine in the Caliber, but still no Wheelguns ( don't really care for S&Ws, so no 610 )
Would have gotten a Blackhawk in 10mm, but not a Fan of the New Model .... AND .... there isn't a Lever Gun in 10mm, unless you have one custom made
NOW (thanks to your thread) I'm going to have to look into a 10MM GP100, to go with my Redhawks an SP101s
I've been purposefully avoiding looking into one of these in the past, for just that reason ( don't need it .... JUST WANT IT ! )
So .... THANKS A LOT ! ;)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts