Ruger Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Glad to reach across the 49th to help a friend. LOL

I have to tell you it is one sweet revolver. Recoil is a bit stiff but not snappy like a full load .357 200 gr LSWC. It is more of a push. I am getting leading just at the start of the rifling which may suggest a 11 degree forcing cone cut is in order. I was pleased to see a .401 sized bullet would pass through all the cylinder throats. I am a fan of shooting cast bullets which is another way of saying I am frugal (Canadian English meaning cheap). I will get my gunsmith to cut the forcing cone to 11 degrees and see if that solves the issue.

As soon as my brass cleans up I will load some 200 gr Plated bullets. I am going to use them for bush carry until I settle on a 200 gr mold. I have a 175 gr Lyman mold now that I have been using.

Take Care

Bob
ps Gather up some Mr. Jackson's and get down to your local gunship and let President Jackson breath.:>)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Molding my own is the one part of reloading I haven't gotten into
Spent three days searching hi-n-low for 147g 9mm Bullets
None of the LGS has a THING in stock ( unless you reload 303 ! )
Most all the "Bullet" Guys online are either "OUT" or there's a 6-12 week lead-time
Found a place up in Wisconsin that offers a "Hi-Tek Supercoat" Lead Cast Bullet
Even though they DO have a disclaimer on their Homepage, it seems that they are still making and shipping Bullets on a more reasonable schedule
I placed my order and it shipped two days later !
Now I'll buy-off on THAT !

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Good man. I just noticed thin lead build up in the forcing cone area just in front of where the rifling starts. It is difficult to get a brush to it. I may have to hold off on shooting lead in this gun untiol I get that cone cut to 11 degrees. There is quite a jump between the end of the seated cartridge and the rifling. Using 40's increases the bullet jump even more. A steady diet of plated bullets should cure the issue. Too, next spring I can always powder coat a bunch of my lead bullets to end the issue. Let us know how you make out with the coated bullets.

TakeCare

Bob

·
Registered
418 Posts
Let us know how you make out with the coated bullets
You bet
Don't own a C'graph, but I'll do may best to gather as much info I can, and report back ;)

Hope you get your Leading issue worked-out

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
OUt today and things went fairly well. I had one round primed with CCI primers fail to fire.6.7 gr of Unique gave me an average of 1053fps which I though was pretty good using 180gr Montana Gold bullets. They are excellent bullets unfortunately that was the only ones I have. I am going to load some 200 gr plated bullets now to the max an and put them away for serious work. I have lots of testing to do with different powders and primers. I am not convinced this gun is going to be happy unless I use Federal primers.

I will probably end the use of 40 cal cartridges until the primer shortage rights itself.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
418 Posts
Haven't used Unique forever
As far back to when they were DuPont / Hercules, so I don't know how it acts today, or with the 10mm Round at all
Back then, Unique was quite dirty, but it was WAY better than IMR 4227 though
IMR 4227 would burn-off the Excelerant, but leave a fair amount of Cellulose in the Cylinder of my Redhawks (both .357 and .44)
Cut the charge back, to reduce the residue, and lost performance and accuracy .... never found a happy medium !
Switched over to Accurate Powders, in all my Handgun Loads long ago and haven't looked back since
Give 9.9 - 11.0gr of AA#7 behind your 180gr a try
Or 8.8 - 9.8gr behind your 200gr Bullets
It meters very well, and gives quite consistent throws

I'm a huge Fan of Winchester Primers
Have tried CCI and Federal, but always come back to Winchester
They do seem to be a bit harder, which is sometimes required for certain Loads
I use them in lieu of CCI 34 in my 7.62 NATO
Have had Light Strikes, but they were always caused by Light Hammer Spring .... I have yet to have a bad Winchester Primer

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
My 10MM is the first gun I have had that I had problems with Win primers. What normally drives my purchasing when it comes to primers is price. I have read on US forums that Tula primers out of Russia (most of the Tula primers we see here come out of the Ukraine, or at least that is what the box says) are hard. I have used them in everything I own in the way of pistol caliber cartridges. Over the Chronograph I have not seen an ounce of difference in bullet performance started by Win, Rem, CCI, Tula, S&B or Dominion primers.

Yesterday I had one CCI primer fail to go off in a 10MM cartridge. That surprised me because I was not using moon clips. It should have gone off. I will pull the bullet and examine the primer. I have experienced the odd Win primer over the years where there was no anvil in the primer cup. That is after thousands of rounds. I still use Winchester primers. If I must use Federal primers in the 10 MM that is what I will do for any loads destined for either competition, I do not expect that is likely to happen often, and for Wilderness carry.

Right now Federal primers seem to have gone up in price a bit but 2K primers is not going to cause me to miss any meals.

Off to an IDPA shoot this morning. Temp might be 6C. Time for long johns and a coat.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have experienced the odd Win primer over the years where there was no anvil in the primer cup
Interesting .... I have had that too .... but with Federal LPPs
Well, however you load them .... enjoy your GP

OH .... BTW .... now I'm looking into the Model 1781
A Ruger GP-100 5" Blued in 10mm
THANKS AGAIN ! ! !

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ahh a sucker for nostalgia I see. I do like the blued version for certain. Where I live it rains a lot which makes the stainless a bit better option. Along with the rain of course comes high humidity. All that said we started our IDPA match at 11:00AM die to the coolish weather. This time of the year the sun takes it's time rounding the mountain we shoot into. This morning it was cold and very windy. In short I froze. In any event there was no rain but as we finished putting things away it began to snow. Not hard, more like ice pellets that pretty much melted when they hit the ground. Still, it was a first. The mountains now are all topped with the brightest snow caps. The frost line in the trees was noticeable for the first time. This country truly was painted by God.. The Gold and Red leaves contrast with the bright white snow laying laying on the needles of pine and spruce trees high up the side of our mountains is a sight worth seeing.

Tomorrow i intend to load 50 200 gr plated SWC using Federal primers and put them away. I intend to place the bullets over a heavy charge of Longshot. I may do a few more. It is dark now by 6:00pm. I'll try to have a friend take a picture as one of those go off. I am betting it will provide a rather bright and expansive muzzle fire ball. If it turns out I'll post a picture here.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ahh a sucker for nostalgia I see. I do like the blued version for certain. Where I live it rains a lot which makes the stainless a bit better option. Along with the rain of course comes high humidity. All that said we started our IDPA match at 11:00AM die to the coolish weather. This time of the year the sun takes it's time rounding the mountain we shoot into. This morning it was cold and very windy. In short I froze. In any event there was no rain but as we finished putting things away it began to snow. Not hard, more like ice pellets that pretty much melted when they hit the ground. Still, it was a first. The mountains now are all topped with the brightest snow caps. The frost line in the trees was noticeable for the first time. This country truly was painted by God.. The Gold and Red leaves contrast with the bright white snow laying laying on the needles of pine and spruce trees high up the side of our mountains is a sight worth seeing.

Tomorrow i intend to load 50 200 gr plated SWC using Federal primers and put them away. I intend to place the bullets over a heavy charge of Longshot. I may do a few more. It is dark now by 6:00pm. I'll try to have a friend take a picture as one of those go off. I am betting it will provide a rather bright and expansive muzzle fire ball. If it turns out I'll post a picture here.

My Wife really digs that Autumn stuff
It hasn't snowed here yet
#e[[, it has (really) rained for weeks
If it doesn't snow by Halloween .... we"re usually in for a COLD Winter

Yeah, the 10mm can be a real Flamethrower, so that'll be cool to see
Found an old Flax Jacket once, thought it would be cool to see what one of my "Ruger Only" .44 Mag Loads would do to it
Hung it up on a Tree Limb, and stepped back about 6-8 yards and shot the thing with a hot load of 44 goodness
The Muzzle Blast caught the damn thing on FIRE
Turned-out, the reason that Flax Jacket was discarded .... it was Diesel socked :eek:

Be safe Bob

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well, as I was saying before;
I have been searching hi and low for some 147gr 9mm Bullets, so I can build a cheaper "Range" substitute for the 147gr HydraShok I carry when I'm carrying 9mm
Everyone's either "out of stock" or have a 6-12 week lead-time on shipping ! ! !
From the Cheapo-Cheapos to the High-end FMJ or JHP Bullets
In my search, I came across DG Bullets (Dang Good)
Their Bullets are a 92-6-2 alloy, coated with Hi-Tek Supercoat:
Their Website says:
"Some orders are still shipping same or next day; however, some orders may experience 1-2 week delays", so I thought I'd give THEM a try
500, 9mm 147gr FP .... $44.00 shipped
Placed the order the evening of the 15th and received them today .... not too shabby !
Loaded 100 Rounds, Win Cases and Primers with 5.1gr of AA#5
Don't own a Chrono, so I won't be able to go there, but I will try to see just how accurate these are

41 - 51 of 51 Posts