Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a red pad Number one B in .22 Hornet with an older Redfield scope today, seems to be in real nice shape. Its priced pretty high. The scope is of zero interest to me, and not really crazy about the caliber but I like #1s. 132-xxxx serial number is all I remember. Is this a rare one or collectible?

·
Registered
673 Posts
The Scope

I might be willing to take the scope off your hands, at a reasonable price. PM me with details.

22 Hornet is an excellent varmint cartridge. It can be hand loaded pretty cheaply. Brass is not hard to find or particularly expensive. It is a light recoil round very suitable for teaching youngsters good shooting technique.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
A No1 in a Hornet is not rare. You say it's priced high, you don't want the scope and it's not a caliber you would choose........so it seems you may just need to keep looking. They are not hard to find, No1s that is.

For whatever it's worth, I saw a red pad 22 Hornet in a 1B at a recent gun show. Probably a 98% rifle with a $800 tag on it............he had no takers at that price.

On most used rifles, the scope is just "on there" and brings no extra value to the rifle, unless it is a really nice scope. "Used" Redfield could range from worth little, to worth a lot, depending on what it is.

So what is "priced pretty high"?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A No1 in a Hornet is not rare. You say it's priced high, you don't want the scope and it's not a caliber you would choose........so it seems you may just need to keep looking. They are not hard to find, No1s that is.

For whatever it's worth, I saw a red pad 22 Hornet in a 1B at a recent gun show. Probably a 98% rifle with a $800 tag on it............he had no takers at that price.

On most used rifles, the scope is just "on there" and brings no extra value to the rifle, unless it is a really nice scope. "Used" Redfield could range from worth little, to worth a lot, depending on what it is.

So what is "priced pretty high"?
$1200, and no, I didn't buy it, was just asking why it was so high. I agree about scopes in general, I have a box full that have been pulled off rifles I have bought. Thought at that price it was something special, but seems like the dealer was "fishing". Thanks for the info fellas, regards,021

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
$1200.00 is high!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
$ 1,200 seems a bit high but I watched one go for $ 2,500+ on Gun Broker several months ago. It was fun to watch the bidding frenzy, also a bit worrisome as I was actively looking for one. Mine was $900 around Easter and hadn't seen another 'til this week and they are priced between $ 1,000 & $ 1,700.

·
Registered
673 Posts
$ 1,200 seems a bit high but I watched one go for $ 2,500+ on Gun Broker several months ago. It was fun to watch the bidding frenzy, also a bit worrisome as I was actively looking for one. Mine was $900 around Easter and hadn't seen another 'til this week and they are priced between $ 1,000 & $ 1,700.
As has been said, "a sucker is born every minute." I have attributed the high sale prices that happen on auction sights to something called irrational exuberance. A lot of it is also due to ignorance. I confess I once paid twice what a rifle was really worth in a GB sale. I was ignorant of the market and fell for the text of the ad that described the rifle as "hard to find."

Though I have some interest in 22 Hornet, I would not pay more that $1K for a No. 1 in 22 Hornet. It just is not that special. Classic Sporting arms has one but he is not saying how much. That turns me away right now. He also has a 1B in the far more accurate and easy to find ammo. 204 Ruger for $1200 and a nice 1B in 223 Rem. for $975.

If you are unaware, 204 Ruger is now the fastest cartridge in existence. It is flat shooting beyond belief. Read my post on my 204 Ruger M77 Hawkeye in the bolt action sub-forum here and be amazed. Also you may not know that 223 Rem can be hand loaded down to Hornet speeds without losing accuracy compared to Hornet. If you do not load your own ammo, Hornet ammo (at around $1.00 per round) costs more than either 204 Ruger or 223 Rem. I have been shooting 34 gr. Fiocchi 204 Ruger ammo at a bit less than $.75 a round, while decent 223 ammunition is easy to find at three for a dollar.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I do hand load so the cost is more reasonable. I bought my 1B Hornet as a buy it now and very glad I did. My 1B .218 was purchased at a LGS with scope for a even better price.
The .204 Ruger may well be the fastest commercial cartridge however I believe my .220 Swift is still the fastest ".22" using a .224 bullet.
I like the ."22s" for squirrels and coyotes and for the range to shoot while my larger caliber rifles are cooling down, I like cold barrel zeroing shots.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Actually the 223 WSSM is the fastest production .224 cartridge.

And a 204 is...........well a .204, so it is not the fastest .224........not even same caliber.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
msp3903, I forgot about the .223 WSSM, is it still offered? Bet it is hard to load, trying to get all that powder in that fat little case. Maybe no worse than any of the .22s.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Browning may still chamber something in it...........Cooper or Dakota will build you one also. No harder to load than anything else and pretty easy on brass as well.

I have one in a Winchester Coyote and it is a laser beam.

I have a 218 Bee........221 Fireball.........22 Hornet.......22 K-Hornet........222.......222 Mag.......223.......Swift........22-250 and a 223 WSSM, so I have the .224s pretty well covered........LOL!!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
The 223 WSSM may be the fastest but it is DOA. I shot one a bit several years back, a friends rifle. It was OK but nothing extraordinary. If you own one you better buy all the brass and ammo you can if you can get any. I have read that the WSSM calibers may never be loaded or brass offered again. Who knows but for sure but there in not much around or much interest that I know of.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have 5 No.1 rifles in 22 centerfire calipers.
Some hoe varmint rifles and handguns interest me
Here are the 22 calipers I have rifles in and reload
22-454 is the oddball

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The 223 WSSM may be the fastest but it is DOA. I shot one a bit several years back, a friends rifle. It was OK but nothing extraordinary. If you own one you better buy all the brass and ammo you can if you can get any. I have read that the WSSM calibers may never be loaded or brass offered again. Who knows but for sure but there in not much around or much interest that I know of.
Most of the ones who actually own some of the WSSM mag calibers, such as myself, REALLY like them. Much of the internet hate is from people who have never even fired one, much less owned one...........The WSSM basically had a serious ground swell of haters before the cartridges were ever released. They never had a chance.

I have around 500 pieces of brass. So with all the other rifles I have, that is more than enough

·
Registered
673 Posts
The .204 Ruger may well be the fastest commercial cartridge however I believe my .220 Swift is still the fastest ".22" using a .224 bullet.
I like the ."22s" for squirrels and coyotes and for the range to shoot while my larger caliber rifles are cooling down, I like cold barrel zeroing shots.
You are correct. I just had a senior moment. When I had a 1V in 220 Swift, I could load it from 2000 fps up to 4000 fps with different powders and bullets. My only problems with it were that it was a shoulder thumping powder hog that was way overkill for anything smaller than a coyote, while being not legal for anything bigger than a coyote in my home state.

My two centerfire varmint rifles are now the Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger and my custom Ruger 1V in 222 Rem. Along with a CZ 452 American in 22 LR and a Savage 93GL in 22 WMR, I figure I have all of the varmint options pretty well covered.

I also like cold bore, "one shot, one kill," shooting. My 1V in 222 Rem is easily 3/4 MOA (100-200 yards) with the first shot from a clean bore, every time.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
And I thought I had a bunch of ".22" C.F.s with 4, the Bee, the Hornet, the Swift, and the .223 Rem.
I do have the .22 LR, .22WRF, and the .22WRM.

·
Registered
673 Posts
And I thought I had a bunch of ".22" C.F.s with 4, the Bee, the Hornet, the Swift, and the .223 Rem.
I do have the .22 LR, .22WRF, and the .22WRM.
So many fine rifles...so little time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts