Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe an odd question really dnt know so thought I would ask? I have a used sp 101 357 mag that I bought used earlier this year, shoots great never a problem but something about it has been nagging me. When I disassembled it for a compete cleaning I noticed a number 14 etched on the flat surface above where the trigger return spring is located ( I know I know, pic). This is not what I would consider a factory etching because of the sloppiness of the etching, very very much hand done, anyway my question. Is this normal, should it be there??? Did the previous owner install a heavier than normal spring??

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,808 Posts
There are others more qualified to answer but I believe you will find the same number etched on your trigger group and frame. My SP101s have the same thing (different number) and I assume the factory does that to keep the fitted trigger groups together with the correct frames. If I'm wrong someone will be along to set me straight!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah that does make sense. Got to take it apart later this week after a trip to the range. Thank you for the replies.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
All 3 of my SP101s have those numbers as well. Ruger hand etches numbers in areas not usually seen, thus the crude look. Take a look at the cylinder numbers on the face of Single Six convertable cylinders sometime. They look like a kid did them. The numbers etched on your SP101 are perfectly normal, and in the style Ruger uses, so I say they are factory and not done by a previous owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts