Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have one and love it. I'm using Hornady brass, Remington 9 1/2 LR primers, and Alliant Reloader #7. But I'm not using Hornady bullets. I use Barnes 300 gr 'X' bullets. I hesitate to give any specific loads for the usual reasons. I've also used IMR4198 with some success. My starting load with Reloader #7 was 44.0 gr and worked up from there. With IMR4198, my starting load was 41.0 gr. and working up. I'm sure Hornady has some loading data if you're going to use their bullets. I have nothing on cast bullets as I don't shoot them in my .405. If you are going to use Woodleigh bullets, I expect they may have some data. If Barnes ever gets their new loading manual out, they'll have some in there. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coffee Pot; My best load to date has been 55 gr 3031/ 300 gr. Hornaday. two in. group at 100 yds. Next best 42 gr.RL-7/300gr. Hornaday. Really not satisfied with either, but I haven't done much work with it. Oregon Trail makes a laser cast, 265 Gas check thjat is not supposed to present a leading problem, I may try those after I put a couple hundred rounds through it. There are not many .411 rifle bullets available. Barnes and Hornaday are the only ones I know of.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Woodleigh makes a .411 bullet also, but very expensive. I tried IMR3031 and it seemed a little too slow for that case configuration. IMR3031 generally works better with heavy bullets in that type of case. But the 300 gr is all I've found for bullet weights.

I've also found that the twist really doesn't seem to stabilize the bullets well at lower velocities. I've had to really push mine to get good accuracy. I'm running them quite hot, but the groups shrunk considerably. It's an MOA rifle with my current load. I tried the Hornady bullets originally w/o much success. But I can't say I did a lot of work with them. I do a little advisory work for Barnes on the side and get a real deal on their bullets, so I use them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coffee Pot: I found some discontinued Barnes 350gr a while back and got 2 boxes but
haven't got around to working up anything with them yet. Look around there might be some still available. I think I ordered them from Barnes. They are a bit pricey. Haven't working with the 405 long, hopeing it will shoot like my 45/70s. Guess I'll have to some more padding for my shooting vest and increase my loads for the 405.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I shoot .45-70 also in a Ruger #1 and a Marlin 1895SS. Depending on bullet weight and configuration I've had my best luck with IMR4198 and Reloader #7 in it also. I like the IMR4198 for the 300 gr 'varmint load', but use Reloader #7 with the Barnes 450 gr 'TSX' and 'Banded Solid'. I really like IMR3031 for many different applications, but I haven't had much luck with it in either the .45-70 or the .405. I know a lot of folks swear by it, but none of my .45-70s have ever liked it as well as IMR4198 or Reloader #7.

The .405 will smack you pretty good with hot loads, but in the #1-H it isn't much different than warm 300 gr .45-70 loads in a lighter rifle. If you want to really get smacked, start pushing the 450 gr Barnes at about 2100 from a 7-1/4 lb #1 Ruger.

I doubt I'll look for any of those 350 gr you mentioned. I like 300 gr and the B.C. is excellent. Sighted in at 150 yds, you can hold 'dead on' out to almost 250 yds. I'm trying to talk them into making a 'TSX' version.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.