Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many "OHW" (One Hit Wonders) do you think stick around?
Someone new dialling in with the first line reading..... "Help, it's broken, or not working").
Now, I'll be the first to strike out and help someone, but most of these are just "eat and run" guys.
Usually not read the manual or done anything themselves to help resolve the issue.
Seems like the age of "let someone else do the hard work for you".
Your thoughts or am I just being oversensitive.

Rant key off..... :confused:

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
How many "OHW" (One Hit Wonders) do you think stick around?
Someone new dialling in with the first line reading..... "Help, it's broken, or not working").
James ... While there is always the potential of a OHW just using us as a quick resource, we've had a fair number of long term members who have started here with a question or problem :).

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I'm sure there are some who sign on just once to get help and then are gone.

However I think there are some who are new to firearms and really don't know what to do when the first problem crops up. Some may be too lazy to work it out, but others may just be looking for experienced "old hands" who have the answer they need.

We need to help these people when possible. We need them to make the transition from new firearm owners to enthusiasts who will have something at stake should there be a goverment attack on our rights.

I've been active on this forum for awhile but in many ways I'm a recycled "newbie" returning to shooting after more than 30 years away. I have posted a few dumb questions here in my time, and was glad for the reassuring answers I received.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James ... While there is always the potential of a OHW just using us as a quick resource, we've had a fair number of long term members who have started here with a question or problem :).
Without a doubt, this forum has a wealth of experience in it's members and the reference material contained within..
I don't begrudge anyone access to the same and as stated, I will help anyone within my limited scope of knowledge.
It was more of a curiousity of other's thoughts.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Certainly you like to see the "Hello I have a Ruger and would like to exchange ideas with the community." guy vs the "It's my first post and I need help." guy. However, some of these folks will end up being decent contributors in the long run. You can't sell anyone short. On the other hand, if a guy cries wolf about twice a year without anything else to offer, that is a different situation all together.

I read the forum a long time before I joined to see if it was a good fit. I'm still relatively new and still feeling everything out just like everyone else is learning what I'm all about. If a first time poster gets what he needs and continues to post, we all benefit. If he moves on, well, what did a responder really lose by devoting a few minutes of his time?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Certainly you like to see the "Hello I have a Ruger and would like to exchange ideas with the community." guy vs the "It's my first post and I need help." guy. However, some of these folks will end up being decent contributors in the long run. You can't sell anyone short. On the other hand, if a guy cries wolf about twice a year without anything else to offer, that is a different situation all together.

I read the forum a long time before I joined to see if it was a good fit. I'm still relatively new and still feeling everything out just like everyone else is learning what I'm all about. If a first time poster gets what he needs and continues to post, we all benefit. If he moves on, well, what did a responder really lose by devoting a few minutes of his time?
i never really thought about it that way. i'm sure i've posted a bunch of dumb questions, but i did so truly seeking the advice of more knowledgeable folks. i guess i joined looking for info, but it was a generalized desire for information rather than a wham/bam/thank you ma'am answer and i'm gone. i definitely have seen the new user posts we've all seen that seem to veer towards just wanting a quick answer, but paraphrasing what hokieman said, i'll bet a bunch join with a single need in mind and stay for the other goodies.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I only meant to make one post and ask a question. Still waiting for the correct answer.:)

Not here but in a Bronco II forum I only post to ask a question and when I find my answer I am gone again until the next problem. I prefer to "shoot the bull" with you guys.:cool:

·
Reloader
4,138 Posts
I only meant to make one post and ask a question. Still waiting for the correct answer.:)

Not here but in a Bronco II forum I only post to ask a question and when I find my answer I am gone again until the next problem. I prefer to "shoot the bull" with you guys.:cool:

You Sir, will never get the right answer..... Hahahahaha.... I see it all over the place James.. It's just gonna happen..

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
You Sir, will never get the right answer..... Hahahahaha.... I see it all over the place James.. It's just gonna happen..
A little over a year ago I complained about my Henry H001 jamming all the time. You know like some people do on their first post but it certainly wasn't my first. Anyway several people told me to stop bitching and send it in to Henry which I did. About three weeks later they returned the rifle repaired at not cost. Not only did they repair the rifle but gave it a new stock and forarm. The only thing they returned of the origional rifle was the receiver and barrel. Everything else was new. The old stock was nice but the new one was beautiful. And thats all thanks to you guys (and gals).

The only problem was I liked the repaired Henry so much I bought two more -a Frontier Rifle and a Mare's Leg. You're great guys but your friendship is expensive. :D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little over a year ago I complained about my Henry H001 jamming all the time. You know like some people do on their first post but it certainly wasn't my first. Anyway several people told me to stop bitching and send it in to Henry which I did. About three weeks later they returned the rifle repaired at not cost. Not only did they repair the rifle but gave it a new stock and forarm. The only thing they returned of the origional rifle was the receiver and barrel. Everything else was new. The old stock was nice but the new one was beautiful. And thats all thanks to you guys (and gals).

The only problem was I liked the repaired Henry so much I bought two more -a Frontier Rifle and a Mare's Leg. You're great guys but your friendship is expensive. :D
Aw shucks..... :eek:
Everything comes at a price..... :D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A high price! Since joining a few 10/22s, Rossis, Winchesters, and a few others have followed me home. Should I send Lash the bill?:D
Yeah mate, you're not Robinson Crusoe, you know..... :rolleyes:

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Yeah mate, you're not Robinson Crusoe, you know..... :rolleyes:
I hadn't bought any guns in about two years then started posting here and hearing about what others were shooting. Overall in the last ten years I've spent a lot of money on guns & ammo and have shot a lot of the ammo but my overall collection is still worth more than what I paid for it.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
A high price! Since joining a few 10/22s, Rossis, Winchesters, and a few others have followed me home. Should I send Lash the bill?:D
If these were unauthorized purchases (not approved by forum staff), you need to send all firearms purchased directly to me for evaluation and approval (make certain to throw in a sufficient amount of ammo for proper testing :rolleyes:). I promise to get them back to you as soon as possible (read eventually :D)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Some of us have mechanical abilities, some of us have "common sence", and some do not. It's those that lack those abilities that we have to help. By giving them knowledge and suggestions to fix their problems they will learn that here on this forum are helpful people willing to help resolve their problem. And they just might stay and be of help to another new member. I know I did.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did a lot of research, around 6 months, before I purchased my first semi-auto pistol.
I used this forum as well as others to make my decision. I did not join this one till after I bought my SR9c. Since then, when I have questions, I search here and usually find what I'm looking for. No need to re-ask questions over and over.
I have found, over the years, that when you find a reference source of information you remember it and use it. This is one of the best I have found, I am usually here enjoying what has been posted and learning. From time to time I post what I have learned from other sources.

I hope my using the forum this way does not offend the "older" members here.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
If these were unauthorized purchases (not approved by forum staff), you need to send all firearms purchased directly to me for evaluation and approval (make certain to throw in a sufficient amount of ammo for proper testing :rolleyes:). I promise to get them back to you as soon as possible (read eventually :D)
I'll put them in the mail tomorrow. :D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did a lot of research, around 6 months, before I purchased my first semi-auto pistol.
I used this forum as well as others to make my decision. I did not join this one till after I bought my SR9c. Since then, when I have questions, I search here and usually find what I'm looking for. No need to re-ask questions over and over.
I have found, over the years, that when you find a reference source of information you remember it and use it. This is one of the best I have found, I am usually here enjoying what has been posted and learning. From time to time I post what I have learned from other sources.

I hope my using the forum this way does not offend the "older" members here.
I am far from an older member and your comments ring true.
The search button IS your friend here when you join.
There are many experienced folk here and unlimited knowledge at the tips of your fingers.
Offence..... no.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I'm sure there are some who were "only here for the beer"... but a lot of them stayed for the nuts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts