Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I wouldn't mind getting an O/U shotgun for upland bird hunting. Without spending $2,000 on one what is an option for $500-600? I see some by CZ, Tristar or Mossberg but are they decent for the money? I don't need anything fancy, just reliable.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello,

I wouldn't mind getting an O/U shotgun for upland bird hunting. Without spending $2,000 on one what is an option for $500-600? I see some by CZ, Tristar or Mossberg but are they decent for the money? I don't need anything fancy, just reliable.
Get a savage model 555. They go for around $500. They have mechanical triggers, so they don't rely on recoil to switch barrels, and they are very light weight. Best bang for the buck IMHO. Good luck with your search.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,180 Posts
CZ shotguns are top notch. They are actually made in Turkey …. excellent workmanship and beautiful Turkish walnut stocks. CZ has several different models, kind of a good, better, best concept. Their O/U shotguns come with a set of screw-in chokes and are available in 12, 20, 28, and 410. Some models are also available in 16 gauge. Here's a link to one of CZ's best buys: CZ-USA CZ Upland Ultralight - CZ-USA

·
Registered
241 Posts
Get a savage model 555. They go for around $500. They have mechanical triggers, so they don't rely on recoil to switch barrels, and they are very light weight. Best bang for the buck IMHO. Good luck with your search.
+1 on the 555

I purchased a 555 in 410 for my wife. They are made in Turkey and the stock is Turkish Walnut. Very nice for the $.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You might find a used Citori in the 700-800 range. Cheap O/U guns are cheap guns, you ain't gonna be happy with one.

·
Registered
513 Posts
CZ shotguns are top notch. They are actually made in Turkey …. excellent workmanship and beautiful Turkish walnut stocks. CZ has several different models, kind of a good, better, best concept. Their O/U shotguns come with a set of screw-in chokes and are available in 12, 20, 28, and 410. Some models are also available in 16 gauge. Here's a link to one of CZ's best buys: CZ-USA CZ Upland Ultralight - CZ-USA
The specs of the upland is the same as my Browing Citori. A lot less in cost ;)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
For upland bird hunting a 20 ga. built on an actual 20 gauge frame (not a 20 gauge built on a heavy 12 gauge frame) is an awesome gun.

In the world of 20 ga. O/U, the Beretta is still hard to beat but a new one will break the bank. However, a used one can be had for less than $1500 and they are great guns.

The old Ruger Red Label 20 ga is another fine O/U. I never warmed up the the 12 Ga. Red Label but the 20 ga is fantastic shotgun.

If you want a new O/U shotgun in either 12 or 20 ga.;a CZ is hard to beat in terms of price & quality.

If it was me, I would look for a lightly used Beretta 20 ga. or Ruger Red label with screw in choke tubes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I failed to mention, the savage 555 has 5 screw-in chokes. I have the 20 ga. and love it for grouse and pheasants. Zero problems.:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I wish I could try all these out but my local ranges don't carry them. I do like the CZ ones and they are in a decent price range. I love the look of the Ruger Red Label but they are hard to come by. I'll have to poke around at used ones.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just purchased a CZ redhead premier 12 gauge 28” with minor factory blemishes on gun broker for $650. They normally go in the mid $800 range. I am extremely happy with it. Scored a 22/25 on trap the first day out. The action is tight, it has selectable barrels, shoots directly to point of aim and is comfortable. My buddy’s with $2000+ berettas were very impressed with it. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I coach youth clays shooters and see lots of O/U on the ranges. CZ makes a nice gun for the money and I believe would hold up find for upland birds. I've seen some issues with the Turkish guns under the heavy amount of shells clay shooters put down range. I always recommend a used Browning Citori when someone asks about a "value" in O/U. They are simply built like a tank.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You could check out Caesar Guerini. A good game gun would be the Magnus 12. I have one and it's my 'go-to' gun for everything fur and feather.. and it does clays well too. Looks good as well..

https://gueriniusa.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
O/U

I recommend a 20 ga. Ruger Red Label with a blued receiver (initial production) 28" barrels, and fixed chokes (IC/Mod). It points instinctively, swings beautifully, so light it carries all day without strain or discomfort, and most have pretty wood. I bought my first one close to 40 years ago, and it has been totally reliable, and disassembles/assembles extremely easily. And it's made in America. I would avoid the later guns with stainless receivers and choke tubes, as the barrels are heavier, it's muzzle heavy, and swings like a 2X4. You should be able to find an excellent example on Gun Broker or Guns International in your price range. Good luck and good hunting!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts