Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am yet again, contemplating buying my 4th SR series pistol. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I've owned 2 SR40's and 1 SR9. I love the slimness, ergonomics, capacity, recoil, and most of all the tightness of the SR's. Doesn't rattle like my Glocks, Bersas, or S&Ws. The thing I hate most is the obnoxious sights. They're too narrow, not to mention every one I have had, had a gap between the sight post and sight frame. (see pic)

Has anyone used the aftermarket rear sights on the market yet? I'd like to see some pics of the Novak or the mepros on someone's gun. Of course Novak's website doesn't even show the actual sight picture on the gun, just the side profile of the gun.

Ruger SR9

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gap was just one more excuse besides the narrow(ness) of the rears to get the night sights. I don't want the factory sights at all. I'll probably go with Novak fiber optic rears and a tritium front.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
My SR40c sights are dead on and perfect. I was contemplating getting the FO sights that Ruger offers but the stock sights are so good I decided not to mess with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I still need to figure out if my sights on my 40c are off or if it's me. Where I point is not where my shot lands, that I know for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agreed, the sights suck. To me they're too narrow to get an accurate and fast sight picture.

·
Registered
432 Posts
On my SR9C the front sight looking down the barrel was off to the right enough that anyone looking at it could tell. A real healthy 1/16th of an inch. Now fixed and I need to go test it out as soon as this rain quits. I have ordered a set of Meprolight Tru-Dot Night Sights, Green Front & Rear but they are still 2 to 4 weeks out. I may cancel and just order the Ruger front sight that is in stock for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here I am yet again, contemplating buying my 4th SR series pistol. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I've owned 2 SR40's and 1 SR9. I love the slimness, ergonomics, capacity, recoil, and most of all the tightness of the SR's. Doesn't rattle like my Glocks, Bersas, or S&Ws. The thing I hate most is the obnoxious sights. They're too narrow, not to mention every one I have had, had a gap between the sight post and sight frame. (see pic)

Has anyone used the aftermarket rear sights on the market yet? I'd like to see some pics of the Novak or the mepros on someone's gun. Of course Novak's website doesn't even show the actual sight picture on the gun, just the side profile of the gun.

Ruger SR9

The Novak FO & Tritium Sights are sold on the "shopruger" website. see the link below:

Tritium Rear: SR9-SR9c-SR40-SR40c-Novak-Tritium-Rear-Sight-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

Tritium Front: SR9-SR9c-SR40-SR40c-Tritium-Front-Night-Sight-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

They've also got the FO front and rear. Never seen them on the the SR yet, but those are what i'm looking at as well. I've got the same problem with my sights on my SR40c.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I canceled my order with Planet Optics, ordered the Tritium front and rear sights from Ruger. They arrived in about 10 days and I put the front sight on but I can not move the old rear sight. Heading to the gunsmith today to have the rear sight changed out. The new sights look great and seem a little larger and should be easier to use. Last I checked Planet optics was still 6 - 8 weeks out on receiving the sights I wanted.
One note is on the rear sight there is no elevation adjustment (the new one) but that to me is not a big deal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I canceled my order with Planet Optics, ordered the Tritium front and rear sights from Ruger. They arrived in about 10 days and I put the front sight on but I can not move the old rear sight. Heading to the gunsmith today to have the rear sight changed out. The new sights look great and seem a little larger and should be easier to use. Last I checked Planet optics was still 6 - 8 weeks out on receiving the sights I wanted.
One note is on the rear sight there is no elevation adjustment (the new one) but that to me is not a big deal.
would you be kind enough to upload any pictures once you fully get them installed? Are they the Novak sights that Ruger website offers?

·
Registered
432 Posts
would you be kind enough to upload any pictures once you fully get them installed? Are they the Novak sights that Ruger website offers?
Here are the images. They are easy to pick up and see in good light as well as all the way down to total darkness. The rear sight does not adjust for elevation but that is OK. Hope this helps you.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
i like the look of them from what i can see. Definitely what i'm trying to get. i was real skeptical about "this tritium" until i actually seen them in the dark in person. my friend has the Sig p238 that came stock with tritium sights. Are the rear sights adjustable at all with a allen screw like the stock ruger sights? Hopefully i can get mine soon... Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The rear sight does adjust for windage but not for elevation and I do not think that is going to be an issue, the sight are easy on the eyes and I do like them so far. Now if it will quit raining I will go test them at the range. Good luck with what ever you choose to use on your pistol!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts