Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello one and all. Sorry if this has been posted before, but I recently picked up a used 22/45 as a plinker and have been experiencing an odd feeding problem. The second to last round always seems to fail to feed. The gun came with two mags and at first, I thought this was just a case of mag springs weakening. I acquired two new mags and it seems to be doing the same thing. Consistently, it feeds/fires just fine until it attempts to load the second to last round.

I've tried various brands of ammo and although some are better than others, they all seem to exhibit the same issue.

Just short of sending it back to the factory, has anyone got any ideas on how I can correct this problem myself. The gun did come with a ProPoint laser scope installed, but I can't imagine the added weight of the scope to be related to this problem. Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,416 Posts
Brian48, First ... welcome to the forum! Oddly enough, the extractor has a big influence on feeding and sometimes shows up as a feeding problem even though the pistol extracts and ejects the case properly. Try changing the extractor and while you're at it, buy one of the VQ "Exact Edge" extractors that will also enhance extraction with all brands of ammo.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, just to follow up on this post. I actually got the VQ extractor a few weeks ago and swapped out the factory one, but unfortunately work and family has prevented me from testing until today.

Unfortunately, the problem still persists. I suspected it would as the factory extractor still looked like it was in great shape. Even with the VQ extractor, the gun consistently failed to feed on the 9th round in the magazine. I experimented and tried to get it to fail with the 10th rd, but that worked fine. Each time, the FTF would necesitate having to remove the mag and clear the damaged rd from the chamber. This occurs with all four mags that I have.

It seemed really bad with CCI Blazers. CCI Mini-Mags were better, but still did it quite often. Same with Remington Thunderbolts. Remington Golden bullet was slightly better then the Thunderbolt counterpart, but couldn't go 2 (sometimes 3) mags without at least one failure. Winchester Xpert faired about the same as Remington Golden bullet. I ran at least 300+ rds with a MAX of 500 of each, cleaning the gun after each shoot. The only ammo that didn't seem to give me a problem was Winchester Super-X plated roundnose, but I only had one 50ct box laying around so that's probably not a valid test. I tested one mag full of CCI Stingers too which worked fine, but not the type of ammo that's suitable for this gun.

At this point, I really don't think it's the choice of ammo, but the gun itself. Anyone has any other ideas? Much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
16,253 Posts
Very odd problem. I'm curios ... on the fail to feed, does the nose of the bullet jam up against the bottom of the feed ramp, or is it some other issue?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, not a nosedive. If I had to describe it, it looks like it fed too "high", as if it was being stripped from the mag too soon or the nose somehow got "bumped up" during extraction.

The damage to the round would not be on the bullet itself, but on the case. Typical damage would be the bolt slamming into the mid-section of the case at an angle, severely denting/bending the round to the point where it can longer chamber. It's possible the round is popping out of the magazine too soon, but I'm not sure what could be causing it to consistency do this at the same point every time. Like I mentioned before, I bought two new magazines just in case the two older ones were worn out.

·
Super Moderator
16,253 Posts
Interesting. I guess I've got nothing to lose. I'll take one of the older mags and experiement then. Thanks.
I guess the modification is worth a try, but it would seem that since your problem is occuring at the same point each time in all magizines, a fix like this would be unlikely to resolve the issue. I would be tempted to call Ruger service at this point. Let us know if it helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick follow-up. I haven't had time to test this yet at the range (hopefully this weekend), but I did modify one of the mags as best I could using the pics as a reference. I don't have a dremel, so I took a small honing stone and slowly worked the bevel in. If this works, I'll definitely invest in a dremel and take care of the other mags. Been looking for an excuse to get one for years. Now is as good of a time as any I suppose. Will post my results.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it solved the problem. I am still getting this annoying feeding issue. I took the modified mag with an unmodified to use as a control. There were no appreciable difference between the two. It may be because I did not make the bevel prominent enough. Anyway, I picked up dremel today and see if it makes the difference. Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Take it slow and easy with that dremel as you can take too much metal off in a hurry.

Been there, done that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would check the magazine well to see if there is some kind of obstruction interfering with the knob on the magazine. The common denominator is FTF on the ninth round, is it possible you are depressing the mag release after the eigth round? I found myself doing this on my KelTec P3AT.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine will fail to chamber almost always with the first couple rounds. After that no problems. I own 10 mags. Last weekend me and the wife took it out, loaded all mags. failed to chamber the first 2-3 rounds and never skipped a beat 400 rounds later. This has always been the case.

Great little gun.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just to update this thread in case anyone else is having this issue. I think I've finally solved the problem. For some reason, this particular gun just does not like any of the hotter high-velocity 22lrs. I've replaced the factory recoil spring with a fresh one, but that didn't solve the problem.

The symptoms are consistent with both old and new mags, whether the feed lips are "tweaked" or not. All the issues point to a problem with the magazine springs not being heavy enough to keep in balance with the recoiling bolt. I've seen this with other guns, but especially with 1911s. The problem is, unlike with 1911s, I can't find anyone who sells extra-power magazine springs for the Ruger 22s. Not even Wolff.

Through a little research and trail/error, I've found that Federal Value Pack (550ct) and Federal Value Match (350ct) is the ONLY high-velocity ammo that is reliable with this gun. I've gone through several hundred rounds of both over the last 3 weeks or so and it has been almost %100 reliable (one single feed issue in about 600+ rds). I can't get any where near this type of reliability with anything from Winchester, CCI, or Remington.

To ensure that it's in fact the ammo, I loaded up two mags of CCI Mini-Mags today and fired away. Both mags chocked on the second to last round as expected. I then loaded up 5 rounds of Federal in each mag, followed by five rounds of CCI Mini-Mag on top of it. In theory, this should work fine since the Mini-Mags will be fired first. I went through 200 rds using this firing pattern of the Mini-Mags followed by Federal Value stuff in each mag. Not one failure to feed.

Now although I'm happy this issue appears to have been solved, I am a little surprised and taken back that this gun is so finicky. I've a Ruger MKII before and it never had a problem like this and neither have all the other MKIIs I've fired. I guess the day Walmart runs out of the cheap Federal stuff is the day I'll have to trade this bad boy away. Anyway, thanks for all the responses.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Similar problem...

I introduced a similar feeding problem by installing a Volquartsen extractor. I have two MKII's, one Target and the other Govt Target. The Govt Target model accepted the new extractor with no problems but the Target model started having feeding problems immediatly. I removed and reinstalled the extractor several times trying to correct the problem. I recently shot about 400 rounds and had misfeeds and FTF from almost every magazine, although some were every other. Here are pictures of the old extractors. The one from the Target model is on the left side of each picture. Notice how it is beveled on one side compared to the other. I bought both these guns NIB around 1990 to '92. I thought about filing the new extractor to look like the old but will just reinstall the old. I had decided on the new extractor because I was getting a few stove pipes per bulk of ammo shot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rounding the Corners solved my Failure to Feed problems.

YES, that is a very good picture on that sight of how to round those corners on the magazines, (ref. above mentioned site: http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/10/mkii-magazine-tweak.html ). That is how I rounded the second two mags and they work nearly perfect. The first one I filed TOO much curve into it, and it will occasionally let the nose of the round come up too high, creating the FTF stovepipe jam described here. Still today I fired 300 rounds thru my Mark III Hunter and only had one stovepipe, firing a 100 rounds from each of my 3 mags. So thanks again for the tips posted here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts