Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had an idea, but don't have the tools to make it.....

I have a "beater" 6" full lug GP100, and thought it would be neat if someone made a machined steel block, to replace the rear sight assembly, with a rear sight notch the same as the fixed sight models. It would screw into the existing hole and use the pin from the rear sight.

I know there would be nearly 0 demand for it, but I was wondering if this was something anyone had ever thought of making.

It would probably cost as much as a Bowen Rough Country rear sight if I were to have someone make one, so it seems like a moot point:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Cylinder & Slide (I think) made a similar combat rear sight for S&W revolvers. It got incorporated into the Night Guard series by the factory. It's a rugged sight and certainly has a place for duty use. I don't think that I'd want one on a 6" gun but on a 4" it would be an option that I'd seriously look at.

Best Regards,
ADP3

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I think Bowen may have such a sight, too. On his website see the "SP-101 Perfected". The problem with any of these sights is they, by necessity, sit
higher than the rear sight trough on a fixed sight revolver so the front sight would need to be taller than on a fixed sight model.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something like the Cylinder and Slide "Extreme Duty" is what I'm looking for, but they don't make one for Rugers......

I have quite a few "shooter" grade GP100's and this one came with crude drilled and tapped holes in the topstrap, so I'm just trying to have some fun with this one.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Have you thought about contacting a machinist about your idea?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about it, I'm the kinda guy who would spend more just to get things the way I want them!:) It would be an easy job for someone with the skills and a machine shop, I have neither of these:p I would just want it made from a good quality steel, not alloy or aluminum. Then I would just have a local gunsmith hot blue it for a few bucks. You would just have to measure the dimensions of the rear sight channel, drill the pin hole in the right spot........and match the height of the rear sight notch to the adjustable sight that's already dialed in. I would gladly pay someone $100 or so to get it done locally, if they felt they could get it done right.

I already test fired it without a rear sight, using the sides of the empty rear sight channel as a sight, and it hits dead on but way low. The windage is right on so the rear sight notch could be centered in the machined sight, using the red insert GP100 front sight I have on there already.

I have always dreamed of having a full lug, fixed sight 6" GP100..........I almost bought a 6" Dan Wesson Model 14 .357 with fixed sights, but I'm not a huge Dan Wesson fan. I had two but sold them both off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts